Why Fruit May Be Holding You Back

Options
123457»

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    My advice: Stick to wild berries such as blue berries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc. They are all eaten with the skin on and are generally low in sugar. They are also loaded with anti-oxidants and vitamins. Cut back on fruit and see what happens!

So your thought on how to store them, they mold fast.

Berries spoil quickly. To help kill bacteria and mold spores that rot them, use a vinegar wash. Soak the berries in 3 cups of water and 1 cup vinegar. Drain and rinse.
    Line salad spinner with paper towels and spin the berries day. Then store the berries in a container with paper towels on the bottom.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Fruit = sugar. Sugar is not the devil. Eating a lot of sugar is the devil. Processed sugars can be the devil because they are used differently in your body.

Moderate intake of fruits is vital as it provides you with clean energy but overdoing it is just adding fat stores to the machine.

Sugar = sugar, no matter if it is processed or natural, therefore the body uses it exactly the same.

Sigh............I have no understanding as to why people think sugar is used differently whether processed or natural. No matter what, it is still SUGAR.
  • tripod271
    tripod271 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My advice: Stick to wild berries such as blue berries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc. They are all eaten with the skin on and are generally low in sugar. They are also loaded with anti-oxidants and vitamins. Cut back on fruit and see what happens!

So your thought on how to store them, they mold fast.
    I do this with blueberries when I bring them home from the store: Don't wash, spread them out onto a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan and quick freeze. When frozen, toss them into a zip lock baggie and back into the freezer. Repeat as necessary. The nice thing about this is since they're individually frozen now, you can scoop out a cup or whatever you need. I have not tried this with other berries because I usually can't find them on sale the way blueberries often are.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I love fruit.

Just wanted to mention that I'm having a yard sale this weekend. Going to use this as an opportunity to advertise it.

About the author:
    GasMasterFlash
    Manager of a Yard Sale Anytown, USA
    Certified:
    Repeated Yard Sale Visitor
    Yard Sale Coach
    Thrift Store Coach

Brilliant! I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :flowerforyou:
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I suspect there are a lot more other foods we should be worrying about consuming rather than fresh fruit. I try to get in at least two a day. Unless someone is consuming excessive quantities of fruit, or particularly dried fruit and fruit juice, I really don't see this as something to focus on.

I totally agree. I hate the bad rap that fruit gets, I truly do! No one ever got FAT from eating too much fruit, or I've yet to hear those stories .
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I read in a book how fruit break downs quickly and quickly rots in the intestines, so it's best to eat fruit on an empty stomach because it goes right through you. It started making sense. I remember eating an orange then turning around and eating a pizza and felt awful and gassy. Now I only eat fruit on an empty stomach. As soon as I get out of bed in the morning I have a glass of fruit juice. On my days off, as soon as I get out of bed, I have 2 servings of fruit and 8oz juice made into a smoothie. When I drink the juice or the smoothie, within minutes it gives a laxative effect. It has REALLY helped me to eat fruit in this manner and this is now the only time I eat fruit.
  • tripod271
    Options
    If your making a calorie defiecit, eating fruit will definately not be the reason your stuck. There are numerous studies to show no matter what you do eat, if you eat a calorie deficit you will lose weight. There was a doctor who ate freakin twinkies only for weeks, maintaining a calorie deficit. Guess what? He lost weight. Generally There are two reasons why people get stuck in a plateau.

One is that they are not estimating their TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) properly , or they are not weighing foods and just going by packacking and making poor estimates on calories in.

Granted what you put in to you body will make a difference in body composiion, overall general well being, and performance. It will not however stagger your weight loss given you are creating a proper caloric deficit. I think I may go have a piece of fruit now.. my 2 nd piece today...
    This is the 2nd person so far in this thread who has posted then deactivated their account. What gives?
  • tripod271
    Options
    It’s always best to eat fruits alone and on an empty stomach.

Fruits don’t take a lot of time to digest. Normally, they leave your stomach within 30 minutes and move along into your small intestine.

When you eat fruits with proteins or starches, which take several hours to digest, the fruit is held up in your stomach and begins to ferment.

Fermentation in the stomach not only causes poor assimilation of nutrients from the other foods you eat, but worse, the process of fermentation itself creates a sugar feast for pathogenic yeast like candida in your gut to feed off of.

Oh *kitten*....I just ate watermelon AND steak......I'm screwed.
    LMAO Brilliant!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    "Glucose is the form of sugar that travels in your bloodstream to fuel the mitochondrial furnaces responsible for your brain power. Glucose is the only fuel normally used by brain cells. Because neurons cannot store glucose, they depend on the bloodstream to deliver a constant supply of this precious fuel.

This blood sugar is obtained from carbohydrates: the starches and sugars you eat in the form of grains and legumes, fruits and vegetables. (The only animal foods containing a significant amount of carbohydrates are dairy products.) "

Deny the body carbs and simple sugars and you deny the brain the ability to function properly. The correct way is moderation, getting the recommended servings of fruit per day. Fitness and diet are all well and good, but you have to also think about the physiology of the body and what each system requires to function.
    Well, yes and no. While glucose is needed for brain function, the brain can function on ketones as well. Also, glucose can be manufactured from protein and fat through gluconeogenesis, so technically, you don't need carbs. Eating carbs does have the advantage of being more efficient than gluconeogenesis, as well as allowing the body to use protein and fat for the things it needs them for, rather than converting them to glucose.

The brain only uses ketones when glucose is unavailable due to fasting. The brain prefers not to burn ketones simply because they are required for lipid synthesis.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I love fruit.
    Obviously fruit shouldn't be eaten as a whole meal, and don't eat like 20 fruits a day. But I eat about 3 fruits a day. Yeah, high in sugar, but nothing else I eat has sugar in it (not much anyway) so what's the big deal? An apple, an orange, and maybe a kiwi in a day? Really? That's not that bad.
    Yeah, veggies have less calories. And if you want to lose weight, eat less calories. But veggies don't always fill you up the same way fruit does. Soooo fruit it is :D
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    "Glucose is the form of sugar that travels in your bloodstream to fuel the mitochondrial furnaces responsible for your brain power. Glucose is the only fuel normally used by brain cells. Because neurons cannot store glucose, they depend on the bloodstream to deliver a constant supply of this precious fuel.

This blood sugar is obtained from carbohydrates: the starches and sugars you eat in the form of grains and legumes, fruits and vegetables. (The only animal foods containing a significant amount of carbohydrates are dairy products.) "

Deny the body carbs and simple sugars and you deny the brain the ability to function properly. The correct way is moderation, getting the recommended servings of fruit per day. Fitness and diet are all well and good, but you have to also think about the physiology of the body and what each system requires to function.
    Well, yes and no. While glucose is needed for brain function, the brain can function on ketones as well. Also, glucose can be manufactured from protein and fat through gluconeogenesis, so technically, you don't need carbs. Eating carbs does have the advantage of being more efficient than gluconeogenesis, as well as allowing the body to use protein and fat for the things it needs them for, rather than converting them to glucose.

The brain only uses ketones when glucose is unavailable due to fasting. The brain prefers not to burn ketones simply because they are required for lipid synthesis.
    That is true, but it can utilize them when needed. Carbs are very good, but are not essential, as the brain can run on ketones while waiting for the body to convert fatty acids or protein into glucose.
  • Autry403
    Autry403 Posts: 88
    Options
    Yes but I was told that all fruits and vegetables are good for you in moderation. Well, hell I eat everything and anything in my diet.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    It is fruit. It's from nature. Fruit won't hold you back, but eating lots of processed food will - just look at the additives and sodium and all the things in the ingredients list you can't pronounce/have no clue what they are adding nutritionally to the product. I'd rather eat fruit and vegetables any day along with basic, nutritious food. I wish people would stop saying stuff like this, it's rubbish.
  • LeeLynnP
    LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    dont wannt hear this...my breakfast of choice ( because i'm always running late), is fruit and nuts. :drinker: