What size is too big for a bikini?

Options

Replies

• kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have no interest in wearing one, I love my gorgeous one-piece. But as far as a size too big for a bikini, well....a size 4 is too big for a size 2 bikini. A size 6 is too big for a size 4 bikini. A size 12 is too big for a size 10 bikini. A size 26 is too big for a size 24 bikini. And so on and so forth. In other words, wear what fits and don't worry about what others think! Wear what you want and don't let anyone take away your glow. :flowerforyou:

Saw this on Facebook, (curse words removed):
    "Sometimes you need a reminder that negative comments about your body aren’t even really about your body, they’re about society and our society’s wrongheaded and impossibly narrow definition of a “good” body. Your body didn’t do anything wrong. What’s messed up about your body is not your body at all, but that your body has to live in a society that thinks it has a right to say messed up things about your body."-Golda Poretsky
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Too each their own. I personally will never wear a bikini because of my age and the stretch marks and loose skin from having been so heavy. But if someone is comfortable wearing a bikini then that's up to them.
  • alibabs65
    Options
    I don't believe that anyone is too big for a bikini, as long as they are wearing one that fits. I certainly don't believe there is a maximum age for wearing one, I will continue to wear them as long as I feel comfortable in them!
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that anyone is too big for a bikini, as long as they are wearing one that fits. I certainly don't believe there is a maximum age for wearing one, I will continue to wear them as long as I feel comfortable in them!

QFT

Also seriously hoping the people saying 'size 12' mean US size 12 not UK (which is a US size 8)
  • kbcara
    kbcara Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    whenever they bloody want to!!

seriously?

i'm far too big for one, but i don't wanna skim the slimming tan on my tummy so i wear one... and when i get up/out of my sun lounger or walk to/from pool/sea/bar i wrap in a sarong...
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends... I opt for a tankini myself... the benefits of a two piece with the coverage of a one piece!

This ^^
    I am a size 6-8 (UK) and don't want my wobbly tummy skin showing.
    Mind, I am 51 and feel that age doesn't sit too well in a bikini!
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Wow.
    This thread.
    Makes me stabby.
  • smudgekat
    Options
    Confidence! It all comes down to if you feel happy in a bikini, Im a uk size 14 and will be wearing a skirtkini/bikini in a few weeks but I do think finding one that suits your body is important like with any clothes. Id look ridiculous in a tiny string bikini byt feel sexy in a nice top  and fuller bottoms....

You'll prob look good if you feel good and wear what suits you!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Size 8 American maximum.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I sometimes wish people would consider what age they should stop wearing bikinis, rather what size.

So what age do you think is the cutoff for wearing a bikini? Just curious. Because Im 44yo and wear a bikini.
    Ditto!! And I can rock a bikini as well as my 19 year old daughter but I have more up top. So :tongue:
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    lol thats a very tough one. i have never wore one in my life... i have seen women wear bikinis and have a 40 inch waist or larger!!!.... wear a swimsuit let alone a bikini and have big thunder celluite thighs... i personally wouldnt wear one unless i had decent porportions whatever size that is....

I also think it has a lot to do with waist size. Currently mine is a 35.5 and I would never wear a bikini unless I got below a 30.

i feel like if your waist is under 35 inches, you are good to go!
    Hey, I guess I'm close! :laugh: For me, I wouldn't feel confident yet at 35 because my waist is currently 36, but my hips and thighs are huge, and I don't feel comfortable showing everything off. I wear a tankini with board shorts. :ohwell:

But I agree with the majority of the people here. Size doesn't matter - it's a personal thing. Proportions play a big part in size anyway. I have wide hips and will probably look thin at a 10 or 12 whereas my friend is a 12/14 and looks a lot bigger than I do now at a 14/16. Who cares?
  • EasilyLed
    Options
    Not an answer to your question but I think this adds something.....

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2013/may/13/bikini-body-advice-dont-bother

it is my legal and God-given duty to instruct you how to get a bikini body. So here goes:

1. Take one body, probably yours.

2. Take one bikini, probably yours.

3. Put bikini on body.

4. Go to pool, beach or other bikini-meriting place. (No, the park does not count. To be discussed another week.)

6. The end.

ETA: I don't actually wear a bikini, I find it hard to concentrate on swimming if I'm worried my knickers are going to float off without me!
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    A 10. I don't how sexy you feel, but if you hit the double digits in size, I don't want to see your mostly naked body. And I'm a size 18 btw so I'm not hating on phat girls. At least put a tankini on that body.
    You could also try not looking if you don't want to see... I say anyone can go for it. I agree that I don't want to see anyone's naked body but I just don't look - simple as that. People should be comfortable.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    The size in which a woman doesn't feel comfertable anymore...
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I think a sexy 1950s pin up one piece looks flattering on all shapes & sizes. I've had a baby so you'll never see me in a bikini
  • AngelHeartDemonSoul
    Options
    I'm sure its different for everyone, but a sure sign is when you can't see the outfit anymore...

Oh gosh that made me giggle.

But to answer the question, depends on the person some size 16's look alot nicer than a 6 say due to muscle tone firmness etc been slim doesn't always mean better.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't think size has anything at all to do with a bikini, I think it is all about confidence, I've seen big girls rock a bikini because their confidence shined. I'm 117.5 lbs at 5'1.5 girls my size are wearing them left and right but I don't have the confidence yet to pull it off.. My personal preference for myself isn't there yet.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Don't think you can actually put a size limit. I've been anywhere from over 140lbs to my current 95, and I've worn bikinis the whole way through :laugh:

People's comfort levels are different, and their decision to wear a bikini is usually based upon that rather than some size cut-off or rule.
  • swedishwillow
    swedishwillow Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    *sigh - who cares?
    I mean seriously, if a person feels confident enough to wear a bikini why shouldnt they. Why the need to judge what size is too big for a bikini? I personally don't wear a bathing suit in general because of how I let judgments of other people affect me, but why judge? If it bothers you DON'T LOOK. They aren't wearing it for you, they don't care what you think and it's really upsetting when someone has to ask the question "what size is too big for a bikini" because it just validates how much another persons opinion, of what we look like, matters.

**stepping off soap box*
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I was wearing American Size 10s/12s in this picture. I think I looked darn good in the bikini :-)

248559_588940496831_5613007_n.jpg