Sugar-free instant pudding+almond milk

Options
The box of sugar free jello instant pudding says that it won't set up with soy milk. So I tried making it with almond milk tonight and found the same holds true. My dessert was like a thick chocolate soup. Tasty, but I was really wanting pudding and need to keep it very low-cal. Has anyone found a work-around for this? Anyone know of a very low-cal non-dairy pudding alternative?

Replies

• bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Funny, I just about this on hungrygirl.com. You will have to do a search because I didn't actually go to the recipe.
  • vbowman_morris
    vbowman_morris Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the sugar-free pudding but I eat a lot of sugar-free jello when I am craving something sweet :) It only has 10 calories. Maybe try fat free milk??? Wish I could be more help though.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    There was a recipe going around here a while ago where you use the sugar free fat free cook and serve pudding mix with almond milk and make it that way.
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Sugar Free Fudge Pops are so great! I know it's not pudding but they taste like frozen pudding and they are only 30 calories=)
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk to make sugar free pudding and just whisk it a bit longer until it sets up. It's 60 calories for half a cup, and I simply plan for it in my calorie count as its my treat.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You can try Silken Lite Firm Tofu. It's a tofu that's good for desserts. You could probably also find a homemade recipe. For instance, I think you can make pudding using the tofu, pure cocoa powder, and agave - if you eat agave, which I personally don't and is obviously sugar, but it might be a better alternative to packaged pudding mixes - I don't know what the ingredients in packaged puddings are.

I just googled "tofu pudding" and there are lots of recipes.
  • JaenaM
    JaenaM Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Only issue with tofu pudding is higher in calories
  • apemberton
    apemberton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it works or not, but my trainer just told me to make it with 1 scoop protein powder and only 1 cup almond milk, not 2 cups. Have the stuff but haven't make it yet.
  • JaenaM
    JaenaM Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it works or not, but my trainer just told me to make it with 1 scoop protein powder and only 1 cup almond milk, not 2 cups. Have the stuff but haven't make it yet.

I'll give that one a go!
  • kaliOC
    kaliOC Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    JaenaM: Mix 1 cup of Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original (*instead of the 2 cups it states on the pudding box) with the packet of sugar-free fat-free pudding. If it is too thick for your taste, add a TINY bit of water. Hope this helps!

I used the Chocolate Fudge flavor, which has 35 calories in each serving. The total calorie count for the pudding was 180 (140 for the box of pudding and 40 for the almond milk)!! I ate all 4 servings!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I just made instant pudding with almond milk and it's not setting either. Wish I would have researched first. Maybe I'll add some corn starch?! To see if that helps. I didn't have quite enough milk so hopefully it will thicken eventually!
  • lisas11222
    lisas11222 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Using only one cup worked wonderfully!! I have had my Sugar Free Jello just sitting there for months because I went dairy free. Never tried it, due to the issues I have seen other people go through trying to get it to work.

One Cup Almond Milk Unsweetened
    One Pkg. Jello SF/FF Instant Pudding

Yum!
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've been experimenting & last time I used 1 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk & 1/2 cup of nonfat vanilla yogurt & it set up super thick. I think 1 1/2 C almond milk & 1/2 C nonfat yogurt would be perfect. It didn't alter the flavor & it's still fewer calories than skim milk.
  • GarthBear
    GarthBear Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I assume subtracting 1 cup of liquid changes the portion size, or maybe I should say the amount of servings, correct?? I will have to try this!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Bumping this!!!

I made the mistake of doing this with almond milk, before I read it on the box, and then I added 6 oz of vanilla Chobani greek yogurt and it worked GREAT! Plus it added a little more protein to it too. :wink:
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I was thinking hmmm.... A tiny amount of gelatine.. ? But then whoa.... What a great idea.... Half the milk and add protein scoop ... Good idea! Thanks. :-). I only recently discovered almond milk. Now I addicted. Can't wait to try the almond milk ice cream (now with protein scoop lol).
  • Pcabral87
    Pcabral87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys! 1 cup almond milk and 1 scoop protein powder worked just fine!
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    How long has the almond milk pudding that you first made been sitting? I tried the same thing as you and had the same results for the first day. But I left it in the fridge because its chocolate and there was no way I was going to waste that, and oddly enough on the second day it had turned into pudding! You have to eat it pretty quickly though, because in the next day or so it turned soupy again.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try the cup of Almond milk, takes me forever to use the stuff up and I LOVE pudding.