cheater or cheatee?

Options
13»

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I cheated on a boyfriend once because he told me that I was fat and no one would ever love me.

I proved him wrong.

No, you proved that you are easy and have no respect. Love isn't based on lies, hate, or spite.

Oooh, I'm easy! Thanks.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Lots of input....I still say one last time...YOU control YOUR decision. Have respect for yourself, your partner, your relationship, and your belief in love...When you do this, then You will never cheat.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Lots of input....I still say one last time...YOU control YOUR decision. Have respect for yourself, your partner, your relationship, and your belief in love...When you do this, then You will never cheat.
    Or you'll leave before you do.

Not everything was meant to last forever.
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    This is a pot of S H I T

Lol thats the first ive ever heard that saying.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    cheater. every time. nuff said.
  • TrefG
    TrefG Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Have done both in my younger days. Neither makes you feel good !

. . . . and IMO it's ALWAYS ther cheaters fault. Nobody forces someone to cheat, everyone has a choice.
  • danapounce
    Options
    There is no excuse for cheating full stop. I don't care if the relationship isn't working, or you arent 'getting enough', if this is the case end the relationship!

I was cheated on by my fiancé. I did everything for that man yet he decided to go and have sex with another girl.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Primarily it is the cheater's fault but sometimes the cheatee must share some, if not most, of the blame. Sometimes the actions of the cheatee outweigh a single act of cheating.

To me a relationship isn't only about being monogamous. It is also about treating your partner with love, honour and respect. If you are mentally abusive to your partner, if you put them down constantly, try to keep their self esteem low so you can control them, erode their confidence over a long period that is far more toxic and this is just as harmful, if not more so, than losing your inhibitions on a random night. To me those actions negate the vows of "love, honour and respect" so all bets are off when it comes to cheating.

I would like to think that if I was with a woman who treated me like that I would end the relationship before sleeping with someone else. What would I do in reality? I'm not sure if I am honest. Probably not give a *kitten* and do what I wanted if I knew the relationship was over. I see no reason to treat some else with respect if they didn't offer me the same courtesy.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    There's no one size fits all.
    I've cheated, I've been cheated on, in the same relationship. Needless to say, that relationship is now over. Nothing is black and white.

Respect and communication is black and white.

Oh, I can tell you and I are going to get a long a treat.
    Maybe in your perfect world things work in black and white. Unfortunately, where us mere mortals languish, people make mistakes for a multitude of reasons and the reasons are shades of grey.

Interesting to hear different takes on it though.

Respect and communication are Black & White. It truly is that simple. You should try it.

Cheating is not a mistake. It is a choice. There is no "grey" area when you are in a relationship. You know, my grandparents are celebrating their 70TH wedding anniversary after only knowing one another for a week! Their secrets....communication and respect.

And it's not about Mortality, it's about morality. Take care of that which can control i the relationship with respect and love, and it should be returned equally. If not, then it is bound for failure.

I tend to agree with both of you...odd how that works eh??

I hold MYSELF to the black and white...but I can certainly see, and understand the shades of grey in others. My ex cheated on me more times than I can readily say in the almost seven years we were together...and yet because it was my family hanging in the balance, I fought to work it out each and every time...while never cheating in return.

*shrug*
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    There are many different ways of "cheating: nowadays. Physical and emotional are the 2 most common. Usually a person cheats because he/she is not feeling fulfilled in some aspect. And then they meet someone who does. I think it's also a way to "get back at" the SO. "If you don't want me I can find someone who does"

Alot of people keep saying communication is the key. And I totally agree. However, what happens if you have a partner who refuses to communicate? Who gets defensive and/or upset if you even mention whatever subject matter?

But I agree with the above poster. Things have a way of coming around to bite you in the *kitten*.

Total truth, and to me, whether you're physically cheating, or cheating 'online'...it's still cheating. I also agree on the communication. I'm STILL trying to communicate with the witch...for the sake of our kids...and I'm even less successful than I was when we were together...because all she has to do is hang up the phone when the subject matter turns to her actions or issues.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I've been cheated on, but never been the cheater. There is no pain like finding out the person you have opened your soul to has lied to you and slept with someone else. It felt like my heart had shattered into a thousand pieces

I've had the opportunity to cheat and let me tell you, it would have been so easy, considering my husband at the time was abusing the hell out of me including my sexuality. It was very tempting to feel loved and cherished, even if illusionary and momentary. But my reasoning was NOT cheating was that I had enough problems without adding that into the mix.

Cheating is a choice. Therefore it is always the cheaters fault. He/she chose to do it.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I cheated on a boyfriend once because he told me that I was fat and no one would ever love me.

I proved him wrong.

#winning, why didn't you just leave him, cheating implies a "I told you so" moment and then remaining together
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone can be driven to cheat, just leave the person, nobody is forcing you to sneak around.

If you can be driven to cheat, then we can justify being driven to shoplift, kill, be mean, ect.

People think that they are the victim in every situation and that person made you either feel a certain way or whatever so it was their fault you cheated, wow really?

No, you cheated, you did it, you could have left, end of story!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    No, you cheated, you did it, you could have left, end of story!

I always hate these threads...because I'm NOT a cheater, but I always end up feeling compelled to play devil's advocate.

I could definitely condone cheating (note, I didn't say 'I would definitely 'cheat') before I could condone dividing a family by leaving, over something a person has no control over, like their spouses actions or treatment of them. To me, the latter is the FAR greater evil...because in that scenario, you are ruining your children's stability and possibly their future, for your own selfishness. I know this first hand, because I'm watching my own children suffer far, far more, due to the fallout of their mother being gone, than they ever did from her cheating and other behaviors that only hurt me (yes, that is a broad statement). That whole argument of 'they suffer more from the way the parents treat each other than they do from having one parent' crap is just that. Crap. Excepting physical or emotional abuse of course. An argument here or there...even if pretty large...is in no way comparable to an absent parent.

My children are still 'happy' children...but they hurt, and it's bone deep...and this was NEVER something they felt or went through when their mother and I were together...regardless of how much I MYSELF hurt. I'd go through that for the rest of my life, before allowing them to feel how they feel now for even one more day.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    Cheating is a choice. You can choose to leave, but the easier decision is to cheat. I value myself too much to cheat regardeless of what my SO may or may not be doing to me. I was raised with morals and integrity and I am not compromising them for anyone.