to count or not to count that is the question??

Options
I just got serious about trying to get rid of this gut ive been carrying around with me for the past 12+ years... MFP says I should stick to a 1500 calorie diet to loose 2 lbs a week.. Im new to this whole calorie counting thing (coming up on my first week or serious counting) ... So my question is this ... Veggies are healthy and "good" for you .... Do they "factor" into my daily count or not ?

Replies

• dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion...... everything counts.
  • Hnter1976
    Options
    do you eat em?
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    every chance I get .... getting tired of salad LOL
  • T0M0
    T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My motto has always been "anything that enters my mouth counts". Veggies, fruits. We even track our water intake on MFP and that has no calorie content :laugh:
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you only counted junk food, you'd be taking in a TON of junk food, and end up with a lot more calories. There are a lot of ways to strategize, and maybe some people give themselves X amount of junk food daily or weekly, then don't count healthy foods, but the way this is set up is to count everything. It's wise, then, to eat as much healthy food as possible (whole grains and vegetables are so much more nutrient-dense than junk food). But yes, the basic idea is to set it up with your lifestyle (ie: sedentary or active, don't count gym or workout time here), then get your calorie number. Then daily add the calories you eat, and the calories you burn working out.

Good luck!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    If it goes in your mouth, it goes in your diary. Be true to yourself!!
  • elmsallmissile
    Options
    I just got serious about trying to get rid of this gut ive been carrying around with me for the past 12+ years... MFP says I should stick to a 1500 calorie diet to loose 2 lbs a week.. Im new to this whole calorie counting thing (coming up on my first week or serious counting) ... So my question is this ... Veggies are healthy and "good" for you .... Do they "factor" into my daily count or not ?

If you put it in your mouth it counts!
  • melmarler
    Options
    If you eat them, they count. If they stay on your plate or you feed them to the dog, they don't.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    If you eat it, it counts.

They are healthier calories (fruits, veggies, whole grains), and should be the majority of your caloric intake. Just because they're healthy doesn't mean they don't count, though. ;)
  • FitasBarbie
    FitasBarbie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Everything that you eat be it veggies, vitamins, junk or even water you count.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Yup, if it goes in your body, it counts!
  • MsRobin_TheSequel
    MsRobin_TheSequel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If it goes in your mouth, it goes in your diary. Be true to yourself!!

^ This !!!
  • twyrm
    twyrm Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I actually like putting down healthy veggies. I can eat a plateful of steamed cauliflower, and a tomato, and some carrot sticks for probably less than 100 calories, and its a lot of food! Then I can add some lean protein, feel really full and be satisfied for hours. Enjoy the veggies, and enjoy seeing the low calories you log!
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you eat it, it counts. BUT......if you are adding your exercise calories you should be eating plenty. If you have 1500 calories to eat and you add.......lets say 200 calories of exercise, then you have 1700 to eat!
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    thanx guys for the advice.. a "Typical" day for me lately has been a coffee cup of instant oatmeal for breakfast.. lunch (my biggest meal of the day) is a "takeout box" sized salad with fat free dressing and NO cheese and/or coutons ... and dinner is usually just a serving of the whatever meat the rest of the family is eating for dinner that night .. This WITHOUT the salad would account for about 600-700 calories for the day ..

Any suggestions for maybe a better strategy?
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that's all you eat in a given day? If so, I would suggest measuring portion sizes? I've found that I can underestimate if left to my own devices. If you do mean that you truly only eat 600-700 calories most days, even with a salad's worth of lettuce and a low-cal (?) dressing, then you're starving and should up your calories. But make sure you're certain of your calorie amounts first!
  • elcar7
    elcar7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    With this strategy you are not eating enough food! Your body will go into starvation mode.

maybe just read this, or any of the other good advices on MFP - there are so many, that can help you to find a good strategy:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • Hnter1976
    Options
    add in a couple snacks ..morning and afternoon imho
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    yes sarabell that is a snapshot of an average day.... Friday I logged EVERYTHING the best I could without scales and I still only came to 1233.. This count is taking into the 30 mins I spent walking around the building on lunch and the 2 trips up to the 3rd floor using the stairs.