Lose Stomach Fat Challenge

Options
12346»

Replies

• grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I gave up wheat (and all bread, pasta and rice in fact!) a month ago, (although still eat cous cous and wheatberries) and without changing anything else about my diet I lost just over a inch from my stomach, it also seemed to 'protrude' less and I never feel bloated anymore. The fact that I feel much better is more important for me than the inch loss, so that was an absolute bonus!

What is the couscous you eat made of? I'm asking because I've never been able to find any not made from wheat. If it's not wheat, what brand is it?

Couscous is made of semolina, which is the germ of wheat. You find it in cream of wheat as well as in couscous. It is made of Durham wheat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I gave up wheat (and all bread, pasta and rice in fact!) a month ago, (although still eat cous cous and wheatberries) and without changing anything else about my diet I lost just over a inch from my stomach, it also seemed to 'protrude' less and I never feel bloated anymore. The fact that I feel much better is more important for me than the inch loss, so that was an absolute bonus!

What is the couscous you eat made of? I'm asking because I've never been able to find any not made from wheat. If it's not wheat, what brand is it?
    Couscous is made of semolina, no?

Yes it is usually pasta made from wheat (semolina) but since the post said pasta and wheat had been given up, I assumed this was made from something else like rice or quinoa. I've found whole wheat couscous but never made from a non-wheat product. That's why I asked. I was going to see if I can find it online.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I was doing well last week but totally fell off the wagon over the weekend. I am back this week to no wheat and have also eliminated sugar. I am actually trying to do this for 6 weeks(takes me up to Thanksgiving). Wish me luck!
  • grassette
    Options
    Now that Thanksgiving is over, I am back on the no wheat wagon!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

I assume you celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving since ours is still 6 weeks away. I am on the no sugar no wheat wagon until Thanksgiving. Then I plan on eating what I want and not worrying about it.
  • grassette
    Options

I assume you celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving since ours is still 6 weeks away. I am on the no sugar no wheat wagon until Thanksgiving. Then I plan on eating what I want and not worrying about it.

That's what I did. And I feel great. After all weight loss is a long-term journey! When we get into Advent, I am going to fast to get ready for Christmas. Then, bring on the feasting! I'll savour it even more!

Good luck on your journey to Thanksgiving!
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Ahh but I just love wholegrain bread and pastas :( Would be interested to see the results!

Edit: what is baking with almond flour like? I see it in a lot of healthy recipes I browse but I never have it on hand and just use wholemeal flour. If it doesn't taste totally funky and can be used everywhere flour is, I'd definitely pick some up!
  • grassette
    Options
    Ahh but I just love wholegrain bread and pastas :( Would be interested to see the results!

Edit: what is baking with almond flour like? I see it in a lot of healthy recipes I browse but I never have it on hand and just use wholemeal flour. If it doesn't taste totally funky and can be used everywhere flour is, I'd definitely pick some up!

Almond flour, according to my research so far, is low calorie compared to some of the wheat flour alternatives. I ate two plum dumplings made of rice flour, and while they were delicious, they came to 1200 calories. That would not have happened with almond flour. I haven't tried it yet, though I will pick some up. I would probably buy 2 cups of it, no more, to try it out.

We bake with almonds a lot. Marzipan, for example. Almond flour should taste real good.
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    How is it going with the challenge of no wheat for two weeks?
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    is there any way to track postings ?
  • grassette
    Options
    It worked for me! I'm off the trial for now, but do want to do it again. I am permanently off bread, that's for sure. Sandwiches at lunch are a thing of the past.
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The more I go back to "trying" wheat after a few days of not having it or more, I realize it IS a problem! So I am getting more and more gluten free!
  • grassette
    Options
    You might be interested in joining the no-gluten group here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/112-gluten-free
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • unicorn1081
    unicorn1081 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    can I join? I'm already using gluten free bread since end aug/beg sept and lost most of my total weight the last 3 months like 16lbs V's only 9lbs from June-august. (when was eating wheat based cereals, bread, carbs with dinner every day (but sticking to reduced calories)

I've lost 12" off tummy and 8 " off waist and gone from UK size 20-16, can even fit in some 14-16 Pj's! ... so it does work! :happy:

I'm planning to stick with this as I'm enjoying the low carb meals too and still got at least a stone to go and want to get in size 14 or 30" (waist) levi's.. aim is to try and get both tummy and waist to 30" - currently waist is 32 " (from 38") tummy is 36" (from 48 ")
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this article! I think now I am going to try gluten free! I have to admit I am a bread addict. My friend has celiac disease and has been gluten free for over 25 years. She almost died before the doctors figured out it was a severe gluten allergy.