Cooking Challenge: Eggs

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the forty-ninth round of the cooking challenge! This challenge comes to us from statia152 winner of the green bean cooking challenge.

eggs.jpg

This week's challenge is EGGS. For this challenge the egg should not be used solely as a binding ingredient; it should be the star of the dish.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday October 1st at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Spicy Egg Omelet
    INGREDIENTS: (use veggies as you desire) 1 egg, tomato, white onion, 2 packets taco bell fire border sauce, raw spinach, crushed red pepper, black pepper, green pepper, cilantro, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and cayenne pepper. Butter to fry.
    DIRECTIONS: Beat egg and add all ingredients. Butter the skillet, and fry the omelet until golden brown.
    CALORIES PER SERVING: Depends on amount of ingredients used but ranges anywhere from 150-200
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: one
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: One of my favorite omelets. Very tasty and excellent amount of spice. You can also eat this with white or whole grain toast!
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    Spanakopita Style Quiche

1 300gr pkge frozen spinach, thawed or 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
    2 cups fat free cottage cheese
    2 gr onions, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped red onion & red peppers (saute in balsamic vinegar)
    1/2 - 3/4 cup lite feta
    2 tblsp parmesan
    1tblsp garlic powder
    1 tblsp dill
    sea salt & pepper to taste
    1 carton break free egg whites
    Combine all ingredients into a 9 x 13 pan bake @ 350 celsius for 45 - 50 min, until set. Can be frozen easily:) Is protein and veggie packed, serves 6 and is only about 150 calories per serving, fat is under 3 grams and is low carb. Can eat with whole grain toast for a complete protein/carb meal:)
  • baptistgirl23
    baptistgirl23 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because I'm looking forward to all the quiche recipes...I love quiche! :o)
  • sschoolfield
    Options
    bump
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    definitely be doing this one, but I need some time to think :)
  • statia152
    Options
    When I had 30+ laying hens I had to use alot of eggs daily. I like this recipe because its easy and all ingredients are usually in my kitchen. I've altered the original recipe (Better Homes & Garden 1984) for ease and taste. **non stick skillet is best**

CREAMY CHEESY POACHED EGGS

1 cup skim milk
    3/4 cup (6 oz) American cheese (sliced or shredded)
    1 Tbsp butter
    1 Tbsp flour
    4 Extra Large eggs (or real egg whites)
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Melt butter in skillet. In a jar, mix flour with milk and pour into 8 inch skillet with cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Cook 2 minutes or until mix is thick and bubbly. Crack an egg (or just egg white) into a bowl and gently slide into mixture. Repeat with remaining eggs around the skillet. DO NOT STIR! Cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes until desired doneness of eggs. Salt and pepper to taste. Eat "as is" in a bowl or serve over toast / English muffin. Serves 4

Calories with whole egg 269 Carbs 7 Fat 20 Protein 18 Sodium 827 Sugar 2
    Calories with egg whites 209 Carbs 7 Fat 14 Protein 15 Sodium 812 Sugar 2

This is creamy cheesy goodness!!
  • sschoolfield
    Options
    My Light Omlett

1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, and 1/8 Cup of skim milk - beat together and set aside

spray omlett pan with Olive Oil cooking spray to cover bottom of pan and sautee the following:

3 Tbs chopped white onion, 3 Tbs red bell pepper, and 3 slices of Oscar Mayer 98% Fat Free Shaved Honey Ham

Stir in 2 Tbs salsa and give it one more spritz of olive oil.

Add the eggs and top with the slice of chesse. Cover and cook on low heat until done.

This makes a large omlett which is enough for one with a large appetite or two with a smaller appetite to share.

The whole thing has about 180 calories and is yummy.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get in on some of this...I'm gonna watch a round or two and see how it goes! :) Great idea.
  • efriling
    efriling Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    These all sound great, can't wait to try some of them!
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I make these Breakfast Muffins nearly every Sunday evening, for an "on the go" breakfast during the week - I warm up one or two and eat 'em on the drive to work! You could also warm up a whole wheat tortilla with some cheese and one of these muffins for an egg burrito.

You can pretty much make the "filling" however you want - this is how I do it....

To make 12 "muffins", this is what I saute' together in a large frying pan sprayed with no-stick spray:

1 medium Chopped onion - I use purple onion
    1 large Red Bell Pepper
    1/4 - 1/2 cup cooked broccoli
    1/4 - 1/2 cup cooked spinach
    Morningstar Farms Original Sausage Patties - 4 patties

I make sure everything is chopped up before I throw it in the pan.

As that's all cooking together I beat together the following:

4 whole eggs
    1 1/2 cups "All Whites" - carton egg whites, this is equivelant to 8 whole eggs
    10-12 tablespoons (approximated) skim milk.
    (I'm watching my egg yolk consumption, but if it's not an issue for you then you could certainly just use 12 whole eggs instead).

Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Put equal spoonfulls of the "filling" mixture from the frying pan into each section of the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle with a very small amount of shredded cheese - I prefer Parmesan. Using a ladle, pour egg mixture over the filling/cheese.

I bake at 375 degrees for 12-18 minutes until eggs are cooked through & tops a bit brown, they rise a little like mini souffle's but fall a bit after they come out of the oven. If needed I put the broiler on for the last 1-2 minutes to give 'em a nice browned top.

Once cooled these lift out easily with a small spatula. Because I only used 4 whole eggs for 12 "muffins", there's only 1/3 of an egg yolk in each one, but plenty of egg whites for the protein. This is a great alternative if you are keeping your egg yolk consumption down or watching cholesterol.

I put the recipe into my MFP database - they came out to 98 calories per muffin!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    bump
  • statia152
    Options
    Iceskatefan ~ MMMMMM.... these sound easy and yummy! I will make these tomorrow!
  • Retri33
    Retri33 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Iceskatefan---Sounds perfect for a "workday" breakfast on-the-go and easy to make. How long do they keep in the fridge? Thanks!
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BlessedMoon
    BlessedMoon Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Oh darn, I was going to submit my egg "muffin" recipie.

Well here it is anyway...
    Egg "muffins"

2 eggs
    4 egg whites
    Dash of water or skim milk
    4 light sausage links-cut into small pieces(like Banquet or Jones)
    1/4 c diced onion
    1/4 c diced pepper
    1 laughing cow light creamy swiss cheese wedge (cut into pieces)
    salt/pepper to taste
    cooking spray to coat pan

Serves 5 (2 muffins each)

Scramble eggs in bowl with milk/water, add other indregients and stir. Pour egg mixture into prepared muffin tins (about 1/4 c. each).
    Bake @ 375 degrees about 15 or until firm and slightly browned.
    105 cal
    3g carbs
    7g fat
    6g protein
    0 fiber
    262 mg sodium
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Statia - thanx! They ARE Yummy!
    Iceskatefan---Sounds perfect for a "workday" breakfast on-the-go and easy to make. How long do they keep in the fridge? Thanks!

In my fridge they last about 5 days - I make a dozen on Sunday, and I eat 1-2 when they are hot out of the oven! Then I eat two each day till they are GONE!

I did make a double batch once and put some in the freezer - they froze great and warmed up in the microwave just fine, but they weren't quite as good as just warmed up from the fridge.

jlc - Glad you posted your recipe too - it's always good to see how someone else does the same thing! I never thought to use Laughing Cow cheese - bet that's yummy!

:drinker:

Ice
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thought I would do something different, especially because I don't like the generic quiche type of stuff :)

Lemon & Herb Soup

3 pints of chicken stock
    125g orzo pasta (the type you have in a minestrone)
    3 eggs
    juice of 1 large lemon
    sprinkle of chives & chervil
    S+P

Bring the stock to the boil and add the pasta, cooking according to the time on the packet.

Beat the eggs in a bowl until frothy, then add the lemon and a dash of water.

Slowly stir 2 ladles of the stock & then return it all to the pan.

Warm through over a low heat, making sure not to boil, as this will make the eggs curdle. Do this for about 3 minutes.

Serve with the herbs sprinkled on top.

Serves 6.
    120 cals, 4g fat, 15g carbs.

THIS TASTES AMAZING! This is by far the best recipe I have put up in these challenges. It tastes so fresh and zingy, and is amazing when you are feeling a bit under the weather, as it has a lot of good vitamins in :)
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Share your best egg recipe!
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    Hello *room echos* There must be others that have great egg recipes!?! Come on people, I know you're eating eggs to increase your protein (not vegan and those with allergies) so submit your egg recipe here! Omelets, quiches, egg salads ... All are welcome!!