10 habits that make you fat

Options
13»

Replies

• tomcat4680
    Options
    10 habits that make you fat
    Sorry... the only thing (medical conditions aside) that makes you fat is over-eating

Understanding that and working out why you over-eat is a HUGE step in gaing control and working towards loing weight and maintaining that weight loss.

There's some good tips here, but it's the pseudo-science behind some of them that perpetuates myths and inaccuracies.

Oh and the Supermarket thing... we don't all live in the USA... some other countries supermarkets are actually laid out in a completely different way.

I live in the USA and my local grocery store is the complete opposite of "theirs" - the junk food like ice cream, doughnuts, cakes and other sweet snacks are all on the outer walls.
  • poseidon9447
    Options
    I think the point behind the grocery store idea is that all the processed food is in the center of the store. Most stores I have been to have the bakery right by the entrance, this is to give you a smell to get you hungry and make you buy more. Next is the deli, They give you samples to get you hungry once again so you buy more. Then come the fresh fruits and vegetables, that are high profit items. Then cookies and snacks in the first isle. There is a real science behind how grocery stores are set up, free samples throughout the store are very common anymore to get your appetite going. The modern grocery store knows what they are doing. I think this rule is more toward the older style set up grocery stores used to use.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind any caffeinated beverage (tea or coffee mostly since they are made with water) is also a diuretic, so the water you're getting in them is kinda being counteracted by the caffeine.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22178/46361-coffee-makes-dehydrated-say-what

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

You're thinking of the out of date message. Plus if you have no problems with caffeine, it has more health benefits than water.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Great info... thanks for sharing!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. Thanks for posting.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Great advice!!
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    terrific article!!! So sorry about all the people that just want something to debate. I thought it was a nice thing to share for overall general knowledge.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    This article is from Livestrong.com

3) Not Enough Protein.

People who get too much of their daily caloric intake from carbs are going to have a hard time losing weight. Kimball recommends including a source of protein with every meal. The body uses twice as much energy processing protein as it does carbohydrates and fat, meaning when you eat protein, your body actually burns more calories digesting it.

Low-fat meats such as skinless chicken, pork tenderloin, lean cuts of beef and ground turkey and seafood are excellent sources of protein. Kimball says you can also sneak protein into your meals in the form of eggs, cheese, peanut butter, nuts, Greek yogurt, or low-sugar protein bars and powders.

Wow! I guess I must just be a freak of nature if this is correct. Somehow, I have managed to lose 47 pounds (in 4 months) eating 75-85% of my food as carbohydrates (whole foods, plant-based). I am full, satisfied and have a lot of energy too.

I have never heard of someone who is consuming an adequate amount of calories being diagnosed as "protein deficient". If you are eating whole foods, you are getting protein in the ratios you need. Even broccoli has protein.
  • sherry_augustine
    sherry_augustine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great post! Amazing how uncommon common sense can be!

On my 8th glass of water for the day :)
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I think this is great which is why I am posting something so it will show up in my topics so I can go over it again.Thanks
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thanks