Starting a juice fast

Options
Hello everyone! I'm starting a juice fast tomorrow - plan is to go 5 days but I'm open to going further.

I've been juicing for breakfast for a few weeks and love it. We bought a new juicer - had been using a Breville, we got an Omega Vert. The Omega says juice is good for 72 hours, so I'm planning on making up all of my juice the night before, since I have to leave super early in the morning.

Has anyone made their juice the night before? Did it work ok? I also have jars that seal really tightly so I think that will help keep it fresh. I know juice is best consumed right away but I don't have that option.

I'm also open to any other tips or experiences people would like to share :)

Replies

• MissMay87
    Options
    I watched a documentary a few weeks ago called "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" about two men who go on a 60 day juice fast. It was pretty amazing and very inspiring. Even if you don't plan on doing it to that extreme, it's still worth watching. I watched it on Netflix. Good luck on your fast! Here is the website:

http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I watched that a while back! It pretty much inspired me.

In other news, I just made 1600 calories of juice for tomorrow, and it is *SO MUCH JUICE* !! I don't think it will be possible to drink that much.

Have other people kept track of calories consumed while juice fasting? What did you aim for?
  • anvacarz
    Options
    I'm kicking around this idea as well. Which recipes did you use?
  • jlm962
    Options
    I am interested in starting a juice fast! Is it possible to do a healthy juice fast drinking naked juice? I am watching the documentary you mentioned right now :) I found it on netflix
  • vegansara
    Options
    Great, I'd love to chat more with you guys! So far the recipes I have made are the mean green juice, the sweet n tart citrus, the ABCs, the minty-fresh berry, and the spinach-fennel-cucumber. My fridge is totally full of produce and little jars of juice now!
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    I'm not a juicer but good luck to you
  • Dreamer1311
    Dreamer1311 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I watched a documentary a few weeks ago called "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" about two men who go on a 60 day juice fast. It was pretty amazing and very inspiring. Even if you don't plan on doing it to that extreme, it's still worth watching. I watched it on Netflix. Good luck on your fast! Here is the website:

http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

I loved that documentary and ended up buying a juicer myself :)
  • Dreamer1311
    Dreamer1311 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My fav is Carrot,Apple,Ginger

Ever tried watermelon juice? Its delicious and so refreshing
  • vegansara
    Options
    Yes, watermelon juice is delicious!
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am interested in starting a juice fast! Is it possible to do a healthy juice fast drinking naked juice? I am watching the documentary you mentioned right now :) I found it on netflix

It's not really recommended since natural juice has all the good macronutrients and no preservatives. I've supplemented with Naked juice when in a pinch but juicing fresh ingredients is the best way to go with a juice fast since part of the idea is to reboot and detox your system. Some of the Naked juices have a lot of sugar because they tend to use more fruit than necessary to cover up the greens.
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm starting a juice fast tomorrow - plan is to go 5 days but I'm open to going further.

I've been juicing for breakfast for a few weeks and love it. We bought a new juicer - had been using a Breville, we got an Omega Vert. The Omega says juice is good for 72 hours, so I'm planning on making up all of my juice the night before, since I have to leave super early in the morning.

Has anyone made their juice the night before? Did it work ok? I also have jars that seal really tightly so I think that will help keep it fresh. I know juice is best consumed right away but I don't have that option.

I'm also open to any other tips or experiences people would like to share :)

I'm on my Day 15 of the juice fast. I think this will be my last day with all juice. I plan on adding in a healthy meal per day starting tomorrow. I too juice for the next work day in the evening because I get up too early. I've heard/found that if you consume the juice within 12-24 hours, you'll still get the nutrient benefits. It's best to store them in a cool place (fridge) and in glass containers.
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    Bump!

Is there a current thread that you "Juicers" post your results to? I just watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead last weekend and LOVED the show's content. I signed up on the Reboot site and plan on starting at least a 5 day juice fast next Monday (only because they want you to wean yourself off certain things before you start).

If I don't hear from any of you, I might friend you for support if you don't mind! HERE'S TO YOUR REBOOT!! :drinker: :happy:
  • laughingatchu630
    laughingatchu630 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Can I juice without using a juicer? Maybe using a blender?
  • Spunndaze
    Spunndaze Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm day 21 of a 60 day juice fast. to date I've lost 26lb and I feel great ! I am part of a juicing group on FB that s been the greatest thing ever for my accountability. To the person that asked if you could juice without a juicer.. blended drinks are not the same, you dont get nearly the same benefits as fresh juice.
    My plan was to juice for 60 days but I'm just losing too much weight ..once I hit 199lb I will stop. I will over the course of a few weeks get back to solid foods.. then I will start P90X .. thats going yo teach me how to take care of my body and train me how to eat for my health. WOOHOO looking forward to it!
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    I just recieved the Breville juicer from amazon.com because of the fantastic reviews.
    I have not used it yet. I also ordered this book ( The complete book of juicing by
    Michael T Murray....It includes over 150 juicing recipes and it very informative......
    I wish you well with your juicing...I am very excited to get juicing......
  • glitter_fiend
    Options
    I'm day 21 of a 60 day juice fast. to date I've lost 26lb and I feel great ! I am part of a juicing group on FB that s been the greatest thing ever for my accountability.

Would you mind telling me what group on FB you are a part of? I've been frustrated with myself because I will start a juice fast and only get 2 or 3 days in and then not only quit, but binge on junk food like it's my last day on earth. I end up eating worse than if I didn't juice at all. I think maybe if I posted my experience to a community, I could get support and accountability.

If you don't feel comfortable posting the group here, could you message me?
  • Ilovebeagles
    Options

If you're doing a fast for detoxing purposes then no. Part of juicing is that you're removing most of the fiber, which is the pulp. If you were to blend then the fiber remains, which is the first thing your body will work on breaking down. That, in turn, slows down the absorption of the micronutrients and vitamins from the juice. By the time your body breaks down the fiber lots of the micronutrients are destroyed by the gastric juices. Without the fiber they get absorbed really fast, something like 10-15 minutes. So if you are going to juice, use a juicer, separate the fiber from the juice, get much better benefits.
  • Ilovebeagles
    Options
    Last month I attempted a 10 day juice fast, and only got to day 5.5. I just could not drink any more juice. However, I'm thinking of doing a 15 day program where the first 5 days you juice and eat raw, the second 5 days you only juice, and the last 5 days you juice and eat raw again.

Although the taste/texture of the juice go to me, I really did love the way I felt. I was not hungry (in fact I was having an issue finishing the juice I made). I did not have food headaches that plagued me for years. I felt great. Sometimes a little tired, but otherwise great.

it has been couple of weeks since I stopped and my cravings for sugars and breads (my downfalls) have not re-emerged. it was as if my body was reset. Now, if I'm hungry I snack on fruit and veggies and I find it very satisfying, I did not have that feeling before.

Good luck to you! =0)
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options

Actually you can but you need a nut milk bag to run the juice through before you drink it. I bought one at Marlene's for about $10
  • msmost2u
    Options
    Tell me how it went. I started today and so far I have made it past lund, a snak and now fixing dinner. Please let me know.