Slim Fast Shakes vs Body By Vi Shakes vs Shakeology Shakes..

Options
Ok this is my question.....

Some people do Slim Fast Shakes twice a day and then 1 Healthy Meal while others do Body by Vi or Shakeology Shakes
twice a day in place of 2 meals.

So for example, If you choose to do the 2 Slim Fast Shakes a day plus 1 Healthy meal the outcome is going to be the same whether or not you are using Body by Vi or Shakeology right??

Just curious as to what people think. I would think that regardless of which Shake Company you use, eating 1 Healthy meal a day and a few Healthy snacks with 2 Shakes a day you will still lose weight.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I lost 12lbs my first month on slim-fast. I wasn't astringent on the plan. Some days I have a healthy 500 cal dinner and a 300cal lunch and a 200 cal shake for breakfast and all 3 of my 100 calorie snacks and I lost weight.

Personally I prefer the taste of the slim-fast shakes (especially in the new bottle since they are less thick).
    I tried the shakeology ones and they were gross, thick and grainy and come in two flavors, big woop. I also like how convenient slim-fast is. I can just grab a shake and go. Not have to take out a blender bottle or anything.

Some people whine that slim-fast isn't as "healthy" as shakeology, but personally it's way healthier than stuff I used to eat.
    The plan helped me with my blood sugar crashes by making me have snacks. I also learned portion control. Now I have 1 slimfast item a day, sometimes two. I still stick to a 300-400 calorie lunch and a 500 calorie dinner. So I probably eat average 1400 calories a day, but I"m working out more than I was when I was first on the plan. I'm still losing weight. :)
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I lost 12lbs my first month on slim-fast. I wasn't astringent on the plan. Some days I have a healthy 500 cal dinner and a 300cal lunch and a 200 cal shake for breakfast and all 3 of my 100 calorie snacks and I lost weight.

Personally I prefer the taste of the slim-fast shakes (especially in the new bottle since they are less thick).
    I tried the shakeology ones and they were gross, thick and grainy and come in two flavors, big woop. I also like how convenient slim-fast is. I can just grab a shake and go. Not have to take out a blender bottle or anything.

Some people whine that slim-fast isn't as "healthy" as shakeology, but personally it's way healthier than stuff I used to eat.
    The plan helped me with my blood sugar crashes by making me have snacks. I also learned portion control. Now I have 1 slimfast item a day, sometimes two. I still stick to a 300-400 calorie lunch and a 500 calorie dinner. So I probably eat average 1400 calories a day, but I"m working out more than I was when I was first on the plan. I'm still losing weight. :)

I use to use SlimFast (Kroger Brand) in the can years ago and didn't really like the taste but recentlyI bought a Can of
    the Kroger brand SlimRite Vanilla shake mix powder in the can and added a frozen Banana and Cinnamom,Ice and 2% Milk
    in a Blender and it tasted pretty good, Not grainy or anything.

I was curious on people's opinions simply due to cost because the Body by Vi and Shakeology are exspensive and both
    have a 30 day guarantee to work. I was debating buying some of the Body by Vi to try it out.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    SlimFast has all sorts of nasty things in it for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d-7xhlMktI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL059F06B3606700C6

You're better off eating a small protein dense meal for breakfast, imo.
  • HappEHealthE
    Options
    You know my opinion, but I an back it up with the fact that I have done the others. The Body By Vi has worked awesome for me! The scale numbers, decreased inches, incresed energy, and a happier healthy me! I can't say enough. If you break it down by meal, the Body By Vi is actually cheaper than most. About 1.60 a meal. That beats Mickey D's or most shakes. If you have more questions, shoot me an e-mail. Good Luck!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d-7xhlMktI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL059F06B3606700C6

Everything you see on YouTube is NOT correct info but instead some idiot playing the role of a Nutrionist. I don't believe anything I hear on YouTube. Sorry my own opinion.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Everything you see on YouTube is NOT correct info but instead some idiot playing the role of a Nutrionist. I don't believe anything I hear on YouTube. Sorry my own opinion.

I agree. There was a woman on youtube telling people to drink whole milk and not skim saying you "needed" the fat in it and from eggs and stuff. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to ingest an extra 500 calories a day because of what some lady on youtube says lol.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    At first glance, Shakeology and Slimfast look like very similar products. Slimfast and Shakeology are weight loss shakes designed to replace a meal while providing the nutrients and fuel your body needs. The list of ingredients and the health benefits experienced by the different products are extremely different, however.

Nutrition Fact Showdown
    When comparing one weight loss product to another, you want to try and compare apples to apples. This means you want to compare one nutrient to the same nutrient of another product, to see which product is better for you health wise and which product is more likely to help you lose weight.
    Calories:
    Shakeology: 140
    Slimfast: 190

Cholesterol:
    Shakeology: 15mg
    Slimfast: 5mg

Sodium:
    Shakeology: 100mg
    Slimfast: 200mg

Carbohydrates/ Fiber:
    Shakeology: 3g
    Slimfast: 5g

Carbohydrates/Sugar:
    Shakeology: 9g
    Slimfast: 18g

Protein:
    Shakeology: 17g
    Slimfast: 10g

Ingredient Showdown
    Slimfast – In the creamy milk chocolate Slimfast shake, you’ll find the following ingredients on the label: fat free milk, water, sugar, cocoa (processed with alkali), gum Arabic, calcium caseinate, cellulose gel, canola oil, potassium phosphate, cellulose gum, soybean lecithin, mono and dyglicerides, artificial flavour, carrageenan, maltodextrin and dextrose.
    The vitamins and minerals on the label also include a number of preservatives and stabilisers designed to make you feel more full, including: Magnesium phosphate, calcium phosphate, sodium ascorbate, vitamin e acetate, zinc gluconate, ferric orthophosphate, niacinemide, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulphate, vitamin a palmitate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiarnin mononitrate, folic acid, chromium chloride, biotin, sodium molybdate, potassium lodide, phylloquinone (vitamin k1) sodium selenite, cyanocobalamin (vitamin b12) and cholecalciferol (vitamin D3).

Shakeology – inside each Shakeology shake is 70+ whole food ingredients extracted from around the world. All ingredients are 100% natural. Ingredients include antioxidants which reduce the effects of free radical damage, prebiotics and probiotics to improve immune system and digestion, phytonutrients which suppor the immune system and have anti-inflammatory properties, whey protein for losing weight, building muscle and brain functions and keeping skin and bones healthy, vitamins and minerals, digestive enzymes and fiber.

Which is Better? Shakeology or Slimfast?
    If you are looking to use a meal replacement shake as a weight loss plan, it can be hard to choose between all of your different options. Weight loss should start with the desire to become healthier, not just drop unwanted pounds. If you are comparing the nutrients between Shakeology and Slimfast, you would have to drink many more Slimfast’s to get the same level of beneficial nutrients you get from one Shakeology shake, but Shakeology has less calories, sodium and sugar per serving.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    At first glance, Shakeology and Slimfast look like very similar products. Slimfast and Shakeology are weight loss shakes designed to replace a meal while providing the nutrients and fuel your body needs. The list of ingredients and the health benefits experienced by the different products are extremely different, however.

Nutrition Fact Showdown
    When comparing one weight loss product to another, you want to try and compare apples to apples. This means you want to compare one nutrient to the same nutrient of another product, to see which product is better for you health wise and which product is more likely to help you lose weight.
    Calories:
    Shakeology: 140
    Slimfast: 190

Cholesterol:
    Shakeology: 15mg
    Slimfast: 5mg

Sodium:
    Shakeology: 100mg
    Slimfast: 200mg

Carbohydrates/ Fiber:
    Shakeology: 3g
    Slimfast: 5g

Carbohydrates/Sugar:
    Shakeology: 9g
    Slimfast: 18g

Protein:
    Shakeology: 17g
    Slimfast: 10g

Ingredient Showdown
    Slimfast – In the creamy milk chocolate Slimfast shake, you’ll find the following ingredients on the label: fat free milk, water, sugar, cocoa (processed with alkali), gum Arabic, calcium caseinate, cellulose gel, canola oil, potassium phosphate, cellulose gum, soybean lecithin, mono and dyglicerides, artificial flavour, carrageenan, maltodextrin and dextrose.
    The vitamins and minerals on the label also include a number of preservatives and stabilisers designed to make you feel more full, including: Magnesium phosphate, calcium phosphate, sodium ascorbate, vitamin e acetate, zinc gluconate, ferric orthophosphate, niacinemide, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulphate, vitamin a palmitate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiarnin mononitrate, folic acid, chromium chloride, biotin, sodium molybdate, potassium lodide, phylloquinone (vitamin k1) sodium selenite, cyanocobalamin (vitamin b12) and cholecalciferol (vitamin D3).

Shakeology – inside each Shakeology shake is 70+ whole food ingredients extracted from around the world. All ingredients are 100% natural. Ingredients include antioxidants which reduce the effects of free radical damage, prebiotics and probiotics to improve immune system and digestion, phytonutrients which suppor the immune system and have anti-inflammatory properties, whey protein for losing weight, building muscle and brain functions and keeping skin and bones healthy, vitamins and minerals, digestive enzymes and fiber.

If you are looking to use a meal replacement shake as a weight loss plan, it can be hard to choose between all of your different options. Weight loss should start with the desire to become healthier, not just drop unwanted pounds. If you are comparing the nutrients between Shakeology and Slimfast, you would have to drink many more Slimfast’s to get the same level of beneficial nutrients you get from one Shakeology shake, but Shakeology has less calories, sodium and sugar per serving.

You mentioned everything but the most important. TASTE.
    Shakeology tastes like mud.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My unqualified opinion:

1) Two shakes a day is a lot. It seems like it would be better to do at most one shake, and have the second light meal be 200 calories worth of lean protein (like canned tuna, chicken breast, spinach, beans, etc) plus veggies.

2) I like Costco's Premier protein shakes, and can't see paying the extra $$ for Shakeology. I think the higher protein shakes are more filling than Slimfast, though, so I wouldn't go Slimfast either.

Just my 2 cents -- good luck!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    And NO one mentioned Body by Vi??

As for Slimfast, I actually use the kroger brand version called SlimRite Vanilla powder and mixed with frozen fruit and cinnamon
    it tastes really good. Now I also have Jillian Michales Vanilla Whey protein powder but wouldn't think one would use Protein powder simply as a meal replacement like using Slimfast or Shakeology or Body by Vi. Wouldn't that be too much protein and then you probably wouldn't lose much weight in the long run.

Th liquid version of Slimfast in bottles/cans I think is nasty.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Ok this is my question.....

Some people do Slim Fast Shakes twice a day and then 1 Healthy Meal while others do Body by Vi or Shakeology Shakes
    twice a day in place of 2 meals.

So for example, If you choose to do the 2 Slim Fast Shakes a day plus 1 Healthy meal the outcome is going to be the same whether or not you are using Body by Vi or Shakeology right??

Just curious as to what people think. I would think that regardless of which Shake Company you use, eating 1 Healthy meal a day and a few Healthy snacks with 2 Shakes a day you will still lose weight.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks
    Sure you'll lose weight, but are you going to live on shakes forever? Liquid meals are temporary weight loss, just like any other diet food weight loss. Once you eat "normal" the weight comes back. You're better off trying to lose weight using calorie deficit with the foods you already eat.
  • edorice
    Options
    Tizzz: here is a comparison between Body By Vi and Shakeology.

Raiderchickette - it is hard to dispute how Shakeology tasted to you. I prefer the Greenberry over the Chocolate flavor and I mix it with a handful of frozen fruit. I just love it.

Ninerbuff - you state that you can't live on shakes forever, yet you also say that you are better off trying a calorie deficit. You can't stay on a calorie deficit forever either. These are just tools to help you to your goal, no matter which you use. I think we can all agree on that.

Cost

Body by Vi- $49.00-$249.99 per month, depending on which “level” of program you buy.

Shakeology- $89.95-119.95 per month

Servings

Body by Vi-They recommend taking 2 shakes per day plus their brand of snacks (not included in price)

Shakeology-One shake per day. We want you to eat real food.

This is not a “diet” but a lifestyle change. “Real” food is important if you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle for the long term.

Cost per serving

Body by Vi-$1.50 each. $3.00 for two shakes daily. Up to $8.30 per day if you buy their higher end package. Remember-snacks cost extra.
    Shakeology-$3.00-4.10 per day

Supplements

Body by Vi-20 supplements worth

Shakeology-38 supplements worth

Guarantee?

Body by Vi-30 day money back

Shakeology-30 day money back

Diabetic friendly?

Body by Vi-Yes but no evidence of low glycemic index mentioned

Shakeology-Yes. In addition to being lower in sugar, Shakeology is certified low in the glycemic index.

Artificial sweeteners? Refined sugars?
    Body by Vi-Yes-sucralose. Google sucralose and the arsenic connection for more information about how bad this stuff is for you.
    Shakeology-Not a one! Shakeology is sweetened with Stevia — which is an all natural sweetener!

Multiple flavors?
    Body by Vi- No,only their sweet cream flavor
    Shakeology-Yes, Chocolate, Greenberry, and (soon to be released) Tropical.

What can you add to it?

Body by Vi-Their brand of mix flavors plus milk, fruit

Shakeology-Whatever you want! Peanut butter, fruit, milk, almond milk. Soy milk, water, coffee, peppermint flavor, vanilla flavor, sugar free jello pudding flavors-the possibilities are endless! In fact, Shakeology comes with a vast array of recipes to ensure you never get bored!

What about digestive health?

Body by Vi- Prebiotics included. 100% dietary fiber included. (Just be aware that if you eat something later that is high in fiber, you may end up gassy with diarrhea as too much fiber can cause this, in addition to cramping.)

Shakeology- Prebiotics/probiotics included. 12% of dietary fiber included. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables to get your 100% daily fiber intake or if you have difficulty, you can add fiber to the shake.

Nitty gritty nutrition

Body by Vi-
    Fat in grams 1g
    Sugar- Carbs- 7 grams*
    Calories-90 calories*
    Sodium-75mg
    Protein-12g

Shakeology-
    Fat in grams Sugar-11 grams*
    Carbs-19 grams*
    Calories-140 calories*
    Sodium-95mg
    Protein-15g

Calories
    Body by Vi-90 calories plus what you add
    Shakeology-140 calories plus what you add

Caffeine free?
    Body by Vi-Not sure
    Shakeology-Yes

Proteins
    Body by Vi-“High quality” “Tri-sorb” protein
    (This is a term that they invented. Whey protein is whey protein point blank. When you start changing molecules, you can no longer call it a protein. This is a marketing gimmick.)

Shakeology-High quality whey protein
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    T

Ninerbuff - you state that you can't live on shakes forever, yet you also say that you are better off trying a calorie deficit. You can't stay on a calorie deficit forever either. These are just tools to help you to your goal, no matter which you use. I think we can all agree on that.

Of course you can't stay on calorie deficit forever, but eating food you already eat in deficit is much easier to do in maintenance mode than trying to eat solid foods after being on a liquid diet. Statistics in the Journal of Clinical Metabolism and Endocrinology show that liquid diets have one of the highest weight regains, along with extended fasting and starvation diets, compared to solid food diets.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

And of course you sell it as an MLM distributor, so it has to be better..............................................
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Well I am not talking about drinking shakes all of my life lol, I just wanted some opinions on the 3 types. I have been at a plateau
    since June 25th and have not lost anymore while only gaining a total of 3 pounds and keep going up and down with that. The last few weeks I haven't been exercising or really tracking my food because of going to the Dr for my arm and then I had 2 teeth removed on Friday. I was asking because when I do start back at it hard on Oct 1st I was thinking about using 2 shakes a day to
    jump start and get off this plateau. There are ALOT of ppl on MFP that do eat this way (2 shakes a day with 1 meal) and seem to be doing just fine with it. Slimfast has been around a very long time and ppl seem to do well with it as well. Its all a matter of opinion and personal choice. I wouldn't eat this way long term because it would get pretty boring.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Well I am not talking about drinking shakes all of my life lol, I just wanted some opinions on the 3 types. I have been at a plateau
    since June 25th and have not lost anymore while only gaining a total of 3 pounds and keep going up and down with that. The last few weeks I haven't been exercising or really tracking my food because of going to the Dr for my arm and then I had 2 teeth removed on Friday. I was asking because when I do start back at it hard on Oct 1st I was thinking about using 2 shakes a day to
    jump start and get off this plateau. There are ALOT of ppl on MFP that do eat this way (2 shakes a day with 1 meal) and seem to be doing just fine with it. Slimfast has been around a very long time and ppl seem to do well with it as well. Its all a matter of opinion and personal choice. I wouldn't eat this way long term because it would get pretty boring.
    Nitrocore 24 is a good shake and if you get it online, per serving it's about $1.08. At 200 calories per serving and 24 grams of protein form 10 different sources along with good carbs, it's a very good meal replacement.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs in 30 days with BBV. The shakes tasted great but i found better value in GNC brand shakes so I dropped BBV.
    I never tried shakeology but people on my FB list go into withdrawls when they run out and that scares me, plus it's too pricy for me.

Check out GNC Lean shakes, $20-30 for a 25 day supply vs. $52 shipped for a 30 day supply of BBV.

By the way there is false info on edorice's post, BBV does not have caffeine, you can add what ever you want to the shakes and the prices are off.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

And of course you sell it as an MLM distributor, so it has to be better..............................................

I dont sell Shakeology and i LOVE it!!! Wished i could afford to keep it around more often.... its a great meal replacement!!!
  • edorice
    Options
    T

Of course you can't stay on calorie deficit forever, but eating food you already eat in deficit is much easier to do in maintenance mode than trying to eat solid foods after being on a liquid diet. Statistics in the Journal of Clinical Metabolism and Endocrinology show that liquid diets have one of the highest weight regains, along with extended fasting and starvation diets, compared to solid food diets.

i would never recommend a liquid diet. I know that Shakeology is 140 - 150 calories. That's a snack in my average day.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs in 30 days with BBV. The shakes tasted great but i found better value in GNC brand shakes so I dropped BBV.
    I never tried shakeology but people on my FB list go into withdrawls when they run out and that scares me, plus it's too pricy for me.

Check out GNC Lean shakes, $20-30 for a 25 day supply vs. $52 shipped for a 30 day supply of BBV.

By the way there is false info on edorice's post, BBV does not have caffeine, you can add what ever you want to the shakes and the prices are off.

I was just looking up the GNC Lean Shakes and came across a website that actually reviews Meal Replacement Shakes, Here's the link below
    http://www.mealreplacementshakereviews.com/gnc-lean-shake-review/?gclid=CIyauoP4vasCFRBT7AodLmnOwQ

Anyway users gave GNC Lean Shakes pretty good reviews and also Shakeology but the one that came out on TOP is one
    called "Idealshape" which I have never heard of and it is less exspensive and better then all of the rest. Anyone here heard of Idealshape? Im going to check them out as well before I decide on which one i want to try. To me taste is alo important.