Seriously?? Obesity and Child abuse questionable....

Options

Replies

• PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Several of you clearly do not understand how the system works... They would not have just went in and said, "Wow that kids fat, foster care for him!" They would have done all of that stuff you are preaching about... educating the mother, getting them in touch with a nutritionist, making sure they had the appropriate finances in place to buy healthy foods, etc. For the child to have been removed, and the mother charged... that means she ignored all of this assistance and continued to let her child suffer..

Does that change your opinion?

That reaffirms my opinion.

Whether to have charged the mother or not, i won't judge.. but it is obvious removing him from her care has already changed his phycial health, and was the right course of action. I am sure it was not the first thought or action taken, but most likely the last straw in saving this boy.
  • melissalan
    melissalan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where this family lived, but in Texas, Child Protective Services is a CIVIL court matter, and Law Enforcement is the LEGAL court. CPS has the ability to remove children, but not to charge parents with crimes. That is up to the police.

As others have suggested, this mother was probably given adequate time to prove she could help the child before CPS removed him. Counseling, classes, programs, doctors apts.- are all FREE for uninsured families working with the system here.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Several of you clearly do not understand how the system works... They would not have just went in and said, "Wow that kids fat, foster care for him!" They would have done all of that stuff you are preaching about... educating the mother, getting them in touch with a nutritionist, making sure they had the appropriate finances in place to buy healthy foods, etc. For the child to have been removed, and the mother charged... that means she ignored all of this assistance and continued to let her child suffer..

Does that change your opinion?

It makes me more upset than I already was. This makes me sick.
  • hstallings13
    Options
    I have to say it's case by case as my parents fed me healthy food and snacks were only for certain times, but from the age of about 10 I had a terrible sweet tooth and would sneak food into my room and eat it without my parents knowledge....can they be blamed for that....NO, I knew it was wrong and I chose to do it. So where as my parents did their best, I ignored it and did my own thing regardless of what they told me to do. Just sayin, and I think there are still so many kids being beaten and raped out there that those need to come first...granted overweight children is awful and horrible, but I'll take an overweight kid over one that has been raped or has a broken arm or black eye cause their parents prefer to use them as things....just sayin
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I personally do not agree with this, at all. Example.. my son will be 4 in october. He is 42" tall and weighs 60 lbs. He is a BIG kid for 4 years old. Does he eat nothing but unhealthy crap? no. He LOVES fruits and vegetables, eats lots of lean meats, he does get to eat a happy meal occassionally, maybe once every couple of weeks, he is a VERY active kid, always running around. He is 4 and wears a size 6/7 HUSKY size pants. Should he be taken away from me since he is considered overweight for his age? NO! He is not over fed, eats lots of healthy foods, this is just the way he is built. My husband is a big guy (6'4" around 250 lbs) and my dad and brother are both 6'8".

I don't think anyone would intentionally make their child obese (unless they were extremely sick in the head), the problem is that all these food companies make junk food much more accessible (and cheaper) than healthy options.. while that is no excuse, maybe the police should go after these food companies instead of parents!!!!

60 pound 4 year old or 400 pound 13 year old is kind of a big difference.

My 5 month old mastiff puppy weighs 70 pounds... but no worries, she is healthy, only grain free diet for her.. just trying to lighten it up a little.

I'm 6 foot and even at my heaviest, 322, I couldn't imagine adding another 100 pounds onto that, much less for a 13 year old kid.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    What does the OP have to say about this? Why do so many people post such heated topics and not comment on them for theirself?
  • bry_all01
    Options
    Yes, I think it was child abuse/neglect and the arrest was justified. Who would do that to their child? That is the equivalent of starving a child, in my opinion. She does not deserve to have him and I am glad he is getting down to a healthy weight. Poor baby.

Really, that is just ridiculous. Just because her child is overweight doesn't mean she needs to be arrested. That is dumb! Plain and simple! I was an overweight child and I don't believe arrest is the solution and breaking up the family isn't either! Educate the parent and child! All I can say is WOW!

Really? You were almost 300 pounds overweight as a child?

I don't necessarily believe she shoudl have been arrested, but I agree with him being removed for the time being and that both the child and the mother receive education on proper nutrition.

I only agree with the arrest, because I feel like drastic times (400 pound 13 year old) calls for drastic measures, in my opinion. I can only hope they can both receive the help they need. This is both sad and disturbing.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    According to the article I found...The kid weighed 555 lbs. The average 14 year old boy weighs 112 lbs. We're not talking slightly overwieght here. In the article the mother blames her busy work schedule for feeding her son unhealthy meals. She had been trying to help him lose weight, but as a teenage he now had the ability to get food elsewhere. Unfortunately, I do think the child had to be removed. His mother allowed this to get so out of control she was unable to reel him back in and his life was now at risk. Clearly living with a foster family has helped and if this boy now has a chance to live a long and healthy life, the authorities did their jobs. Parents have to parent. It's that simple.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I personally do not agree with this, at all. Example.. my son will be 4 in october. He is 42" tall and weighs 60 lbs. He is a BIG kid for 4 years old. Does he eat nothing but unhealthy crap? no. He LOVES fruits and vegetables, eats lots of lean meats, he does get to eat a happy meal occassionally, maybe once every couple of weeks, he is a VERY active kid, always running around. He is 4 and wears a size 6/7 HUSKY size pants. Should he be taken away from me since he is considered overweight for his age? NO! He is not over fed, eats lots of healthy foods, this is just the way he is built. My husband is a big guy (6'4" around 250 lbs) and my dad and brother are both 6'8".

I don't think anyone would intentionally make their child obese (unless they were extremely sick in the head), the problem is that all these food companies make junk food much more accessible (and cheaper) than healthy options.. while that is no excuse, maybe the police should go after these food companies instead of parents!!!!

"Husky" is not the same as 400 pounds at age 13.

This parent was negligent. Either in lack of education or lack of concern for her child. The CPS professional in this thread is right - before a child can be removed from a home, there are interventions, education, mandated pareting classes. Once all of those avenues are exhausted, if things still aren't working right, the child should be removed from the home.

What if a parent had a disgusting dirty house? Would you want a child left in that environment just because the parent 'didn't know how' to keep it clean?
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options

Overweight and morbidly obese are two very different things, IMO.

Again....the only person in control of a child is the parent...therefore the only person who should take blame, AGAIN IMO, is the parents. The food companies put the food out there...but that doesn't mean anyone is forced to buy it.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it was child abuse/neglect and the arrest was justified. Who would do that to their child? That is the equivalent of starving a child, in my opinion. She does not deserve to have him and I am glad he is getting down to a healthy weight. Poor baby.

Really, that is just ridiculous. Just because her child is overweight doesn't mean she needs to be arrested. That is dumb! Plain and simple! I was an overweight child and I don't believe arrest is the solution and breaking up the family isn't either! Educate the parent and child! All I can say is WOW!

Agreed. I got given steriods (wrongly by a doctor) when I was 7 and literally balloned. peoole thought my mother was over feeding me to the point of where teachers were interveing. As a teenager I snuck all sorts of food but luckily I was quite active. My mum always gave me very healthy food and gently suiggested I diet but she had no control over me otherwise. As I got older I then sorted out my diet. You cannot just take a child out of care into a situatuion that may be worse for the child. This is not a daily mail world, where you can just judge things as black and white.

Edited to say that in this instance a kid of 400 pounds defo needed outside help but there just simply are not enough facts to form a proper jusgement.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    Options
    It is hard to say not knowing all of the details but knowing that he lost 250 lbs in foster care leads me to believe they made the right decision.

Not sure if this is the case that you are talking about, but the story I was reading about, DCF wasn't involved until after the family missed several doctor's appts.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options

You said overweight, this kid was Morbidly obese, there is a difference right there. And you assume they weren't given the opportunity to get things going the right way. CPS doesn't just come in and take your child..........even in situations when they really should. How do you know she wasn't given education and an opportunity. While I don't agree with arrest I do agree with fines and community service and removal of the child if you have been given a chance and refuse to take it. If you really love and care about your child you will do what you have to do. No excuses.
  • bry_all01
    Options

Agreed. I got given steriods (wrongly by a doctor) when I was 7 and literally balloned. peoole thought my mother was over feeding me to the point of where teachers were interveing. As a teenager I snuck all sorts of food but luckily I was quite active. My mum always gave me very healthy food and gently suiggested I diet but she had no control over me otherwise. As I got older I then sorted out my diet. You cannot just take a child out of care into a situatuion that may be worse for the child. This is not a daily mail world, where you can just judge things as black and white.

When he lost 250 pounds after being taken away from her, it is obvious that it was more than likely her care or lack of care, just my opinion, though.... Agree, don't agree,meh, makes no difference to me.
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    this in my opinion is cirrumstantial... if this mom was purposely feeding her child to bring harm/hurt him in any way then yes the above measures should be taken. But in this case here's a divorced mom who is attending college, working full time on a fixed income. Sounds like she's doing the best she can. Why take the child away from his mom? Why not educate her and the kid. Teach her how to prepare meals for him that are healthy. Taking her shopping to show her how to buy healthy food on a budget. Maybe suggest (if her finances permits) to sign him up for after school sports or YMCA membership...I mean, the skies the limit to helping her out
    but to arrest and press criminal chrgs is unnecessary. Just flat out unecessary!

FYI: According to the story she was seeing the doctor/peds on a regular bases. And received very little help, but lots of criticism.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

Overweight and morbidly obese are two very different things, IMO.

Again....the only person in control of a child is the parent...therefore the only person who should take blame, AGAIN IMO, is the parents. The food companies put the food out there...but that doesn't mean anyone is forced to buy it.
    RE: the food companies THANK YOU

Does anybody want to take responibility anymore? I cant tell if thread makes me want to punch a wall, or cry. But it's an intense feeling.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I do think it's abuse to let your kid get to 400 pounds. On the other hand, why did the child have to be removed from the home immediately? Couldn't they have put the family on supervision or something? It seems ridiculous.
  • leilani♥
    Options
    It is hard to say not knowing all of the details but knowing that he lost 250 lbs in foster care leads me to believe they made the right decision.

Not sure if this is the case that you are talking about, but the story I was reading about, DCF wasn't involved until after the family missed several doctor's appts.

^ This...

OBVIOUSLY if he lost all that weight after being placed in foster care the kids school did the right thing. I'm sure he didn't get fat over night and was obese his entire life and his parents did not exhaust every avenue to try and fix it.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    this kid was not just overweight, he was 400 pounds!!! That goes way beyond lack of knowledge about nutrition. I agree that seperating him from his mother could cause problems, but he is down 250 pounds so it had some good effects as well.
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It would be hard to make a judgement call on it without know the entire situation but I would have to say that the courts did their due diligence to try and fix the situation before removing him. We don't know if she herself is morbidly obese as well so then you are dealing with a family issue of learned behaviors that need to be corrected. We also don't know if she had been talked to by the school that they felt this was neglect and she refused to listen. Everything depends on the situation.

I have worked with many kids and observed alot. My husband & I are also in the licensing process for becoming foster parents and have learned alot through our classes...so my first reaction was yes he is being neglected and abused. I go back to my own life and the reasons I became obese there is always an underlying issue that is not being dealt with and in this case their obvioiusly was one as well and also for the mother. It is a sad situation but it is apparent that removing him from the home has been a drastic improvement in weight loss but have the emotional issues been dealt with? It is a delicate situation and very easy to pass judgement on without knowing the whole story but I must say that I think we would all have a major issue with a child being that overweight if we saw them on the street. Yes parents cannot control everything but if your child is "closet" eating without your knowledge you go and seek help for that child and find out what is fueling this addiction...it cannot be ignored.

I would hope that they removed him from the home to seek therapy for his and his mother but in the end to reunite them in a healthy relationship. As many have said removing a child is very damaging to a child even if they are being abused....it is their parents after all. Makes me very sad and honestly makes me want to seek help for the mother so she can be a better mother to her child and any future children she may have and that he will grow into a healthy and productive young man. But we also don't know if you continually refused help. It really is heart breaking.