need advice for my 12 year old

Options
This morning my 12 year old got up and was crying. I asked him why he was crying and he told me that his little brother called him fat and he wanted him to appologize. When I asked the little one if this was true he said no I never said that. And then he got upset and said well you asked me to move out of the bed and you didn't climb over me so you think I am fat. (The little one got scared at night and climbed into bed with him). I said he just didn't want to climb over you. Plus you both needed to get up as we are leaving. But it pulls my heart. He is cubbier then the other two boys. He has had a weight issue for a couple of years. He is shorter then the other boys in his class and I thought he just needed to grow it out. (my nephew was like this) But seeing him cry like that this morning really hurt me as I do not want my kids to grow up thinking they are fat like I did when I was growing up because my dad called me fat. And looking back I wasn't fat and I think that is part of the reason I am fat now. And I don't want him to have this issue when he is my age. But I don't want him on a diet he is WAY too young. I try to make healthy meal options but he is so fussy. He takes takewondo 2x a week and that is a workout!! He is so red in the face when he is done and he feels so good about himself. But when it comes down to eating he will help himself 2-3 times and I try to discourage that but don't want to tell him no because of his weight. I don't want him to worry about his weight at his age. I have come to the conclusion that on the nights he doesn't have takewondo that he will come with me on a walk. But winter is coming and wont be able to do that much then Will take some convincing as he doesn't like excercise. I just want to know what else I can do for him without putting him on a diet and how do you make a fussy kid eat healthier or less? HELP!!!

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Coming from a fat kid...

You don't have to put him on a diet. In fact, that's one of the last things you should do. But you need to be honest with him. Letting him have 2-3 servings because you don't want to bring up that he is overweight is just sugar coating the issue. Don't even give him the option for that. Make meals where he can only have one servings. If you make something like pasta and such, don't make a giant bowl or dish. Make one serving for everyone and that's it.

I was 265lbs when I earned my 2nd degree black belt. I was teaching karate and taking classes 6 days a week. My diet is what made me fat. I can relate, believe me. And if my mom had just told me straight up that I need to lose weight and to not eat that bowl of ice cream every night, or better not even buy it, I would be in much better shape mentally and physically today.
  • annadilynn
    Options
    You could always ask him to teach you his takewondo moves on his nights off from class..that would get him moving without feeling like he is exercising, because he is just teaching mom :0) and he will love the fact that you want Him to show You how to do something :0)
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You could try serving him a plate and not having the option of getting more - that has to apply to everybody, or it won't work. If controlling food intake is the option, you will probably have to exert more control over what goes on the plate.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My son is only 5, and is crazy skinny, BUT he eats all day long and even though I originally thought this was ok I am realizing if he does this for his whole life it'll eventually turn out badly! Our biggest problem with him is that he likes to talk a lot at mealtimes so he doesn't finish his food, but will then eat a snack after dinner and then right near bed time will ask for a bowl of cereal or raisin toast with peanut butter. So for us, it is obvious that he's not eating enough at meals, so we are trying to figure out how to squash the grazing habit! That said, maybe try serving food on smaller plates so if he gets a second or third helping of food the quantity is still down. I would like to hear what other people say on this topic!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You're being too nice I think. Well, nice isn't the right word. But if you continue to let him eat 2-3 servings of something because you're afraid tell him he's fat (again, not really the right word), then he will end up getting overweight and later in life it'll be super hard for him to take the weight off (as we all know). My neices (13) do Irish dance and it's one heck of a work out, but they have some friends in the same class that are overweight even though they practice 3 days a week for an hour each. So just because they work out, doesn't mean they are healthy.

You don't have to tell him he's fat, but you need to educate him on eating healthy and what happens if you eat too much. A little bit of embarrasment now is nothing compared to a high school full of teasing and a lifetime of health problems. I'm not a parent so I cannot tell you the right way to talk to your kids, but I'm sure someone out there has done it.
  • OliveJuice821
    Options
    You don't have to put him on a diet. In fact, that's one of the last things you should do. But you need to be honest with him. Letting him have 2-3 servings because you don't want to bring up that he is overweight is just sugar coating the issue. Don't even give him the option for that. Make meals where he can only have one servings. If you make something like pasta and such, don't make a giant bowl or dish. Make one serving for everyone and that's it.

I think this is your best bet. Don't put him on a diet, put the whole family on a healthier-eating lifestyle. Make healthier foods, and not a ton, ya know? The thing about kids is that if they're hungry enough they'll eat, or at least try, what you put in front of them. It's tough, believe me, I have a 3 year old who just refuses to eat anything aside from the same 10 foods, but it's something that has to be done sometimes.

I can't imagine going through that, seeing your kid cry because of something like this. The key is to just make him feel loved, and encourage him to try to healthy foods you'd make for the whole family.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You should talk to his pediatrician about this and maybe get a referral to a nutritionist. He's still growing so a diet is a very bad idea. Have him eat healthier foods and it shouldn't matter too much how much he eats. When you make a meal make only enough meat and rice/potatoes/pasta for everyone to have one serving but make lots of vegetables or salad so that everyone can have as much as they want. It's not really possible to eat too many vegetables! Make sure everyone uses the proper amount of sauce or dressing and use overall health as the reason for limiting it. Your son may be picky but if you don't offer him other options he'll eat what you make. My kids are toddlers and they've already learned that they eat what I make or they don't eat. My son was getting picky but now he eats everything I give him! Getting him more physical activity is a good idea too, especially since he will learn how important it is for overall health.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    thanks guys. It all makes sense. I think I will sit him down tonight and have a one on one and see if we can come up with something together. Both his older and younger brother are skinny and very atheltic looking and I think it makes him jealous. They can eat and eat and because they are so active it doesn't show. He is less active if it wasn't for takewondo I don't think he would do anything. On weekends when the kids are all outside he is indoors on his ipod or just sitting in front of the TV and doesn't move. I think a heart to heart is in order! :smile:
  • OliveJuice821
    Options
    You should talk to his pediatrician about this and maybe get a referral to a nutritionist.

Honestly, I would do this, too lol A doctor is trained to be sympathetic and knows how to talk to the kids... and no parent wants to be the one to tell their kid that they need to lose weight XD I'd rather have a doctor or a nutritionist do it lol
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Coming from a fat kid...

My diet is what made me fat. ...if my mom had just told me straight up that I need to lose weight and to not eat that bowl of ice cream every night, or better not even buy it, I would be in much better shape mentally and physically today.

^^This! It can't be said any better.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hi hun.. I'm offering my 2 cents in here but dont feel offended.

I do believe that you're heavy because you lived up to the "fat" name. I was told the same when I was a teenager and I wasn't fat at the time. I was at my ideal weight but I wanted to be skinny so it really affected my self esteem and body issues. Now I'm fat!

As for you're lil boy.. you have to teach him portion control. Don't make too much food where he can go get seconds and thirds.

1. Allow him one serving as you would do yourself. Teach him and the other children what a portion size is. "Look this is how much WE should have." He may not like it at first but It'll help. Provide healthy snacks if he's still hungry, like Celery, Carrots, Apples...and lastly provide him fun exercise. He doesnt have to know its for losing weight.

2. Ride bike with him or play the Wii games that make you burn calories.
    If you want him to eat and exercise you have to be the example and he can groan and whine but enforce the good behavior and treat him when he does well!

3. Always above all else hug and kiss him and tell him you know hes an awesome boy! Little boys dont hear that enough!
  • Texas501
    Options
    What ever you decide to do, don't single him out (i.e., have a smaller plate for him, only have certain food rules for him, only have walk sessions with him). This will guarantee failure and upset him. If you plan to change the family meal, everyone should participate in this. Have scheduled meals, have scheduled snacks, rid the house of unhealthy snacks, have meals planned out where you have a good balance of fruits, vegetables and protein FOR EVERYONE in the house. Don't allow for seconds or thirds, thus requiring you to put on good portion on everyone's plate. If someone refuses to eat, respect that, accept it, but don't allow anyone to make their own meal. Sooner or later they will come around and realize this is the only option in the house if you want to eat. If you only single him out, and put strict rules on him, this will definitely bring up a lot of conflict and misery.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My son is only 5, and is crazy skinny, BUT he eats all day long and even though I originally thought this was ok I am realizing if he does this for his whole life it'll eventually turn out badly! Our biggest problem with him is that he likes to talk a lot at mealtimes so he doesn't finish his food, but will then eat a snack after dinner and then right near bed time will ask for a bowl of cereal or raisin toast with peanut butter. So for us, it is obvious that he's not eating enough at meals, so we are trying to figure out how to squash the grazing habit! That said, maybe try serving food on smaller plates so if he gets a second or third helping of food the quantity is still down. I would like to hear what other people say on this topic!

Young children do need to graze because their stomachs aren't big enough to eat big meals. If they don't get snacks during the day they won't eat enough, especially if they are very active. If your son is skinny I'm betting he runs around most of the day and of course, is growing. While it's important to have set meal and snack times and to make sure he eats enough during those times, kids have short attention spans and get bored easily. I've just gotten my toddlers to the point where they can sit and eat a meal without having to run around after every bite!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Coming from a fat kid...

I was 265lbs when I earned my 2nd degree black belt. I was teaching karate and taking classes 6 days a week. My diet is what made me fat. I can relate, believe me. And if my mom had just told me straight up that I need to lose weight and to not eat that bowl of ice cream every night, or better not even buy it, I would be in much better shape mentally and physically today.

Yes, this ^^ is good advice. Also, don't serve things like pasta often. Serve plenty of vegetables, and let him have as many servings of those as he wants. A lot of kids are fussy eaters, but I've yet to meet one that will actually starve instead of eat healthy food. They may complain, but so what? I have no statistics but I'd bet there are far fewer adults complaining because their moms made them eat healthy than because they were overweight as children.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    At home exercise ideas for kids:

Tae Bo Kicks by Billy Blanks. This is kid's Tae Bo. This DVD has been out awhile and features kids younger than 12. Maybe your library has a copy, or Netflix does have it for rent. Some older kids just do regular videos. "This is Tae Bo" is really good (Target, Wal-Mart).

Wii - Walk it Out is a fun walking game. There are also boxing games.

Leslie Sansone has a Kid's Walk video & a Teen's Walk one as well.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Options
    Coming from a fat kid...

\

Thanks for sharing .. I think you said it all!
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Options
    What ever you decide to do, don't single him out (i.e., have a smaller plate for him, only have certain food rules for him, only have walk sessions with him). This will guarantee failure and upset him. If you plan to change the family meal, everyone should participate in this. Have scheduled meals, have scheduled snacks, rid the house of unhealthy snacks, have meals planned out where you have a good balance of fruits, vegetables and protein FOR EVERYONE in the house. Don't allow for seconds or thirds, thus requiring you to put on good portion on everyone's plate. If someone refuses to eat, respect that, accept it, but don't allow anyone to make their own meal. Sooner or later they will come around and realize this is the only option in the house if you want to eat. If you only single him out, and put strict rules on him, this will definitely bring up a lot of conflict and misery.

Great advice! I would add that he may rebel if he's the only one eating right and exercising! Make it a family lifestyle change! :happy:
  • JS70
    JS70 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 12 and was recently told by her doctor that she needed to lose 25 pounds. She doesn't seem to know when to quit eating. We have made some changes that have really been helping. She no longer eats school lunches. We go to the store every weekend and she picks out some healthy options for lunches. This has really helped by skipping the unhealthy school lunches. She takes turkey sandwiches with 100% whole wheat bread or whole wheat wraps, carrots, grapes, apples, baked chips... She loves it so it is working. We also try to eat a lot healthier at home so if she does eat more, it won't be so bad. She is active in sports so she does get exercise and I try to encourage walks and hiking trips more. I don't know if she can lose the 25 pounds he wants her to lose but so far she has lost about 5 pounds and she has grown 2 inches. I think we are on the right track. If you have any other suggestions that are working for you, I would love to hear them. It is so hard on them at that age when the other kids are not nice. Good luck!
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I agree, no need to put a kid on a diet, but you can do subtle things to make the whole family healthier.

My 12 year old is thin (and very active), but I want him to understand nutrition and reasonable serving sizes. So I have him look at serving sizes on packages (pasta, cookies, everything) just so that he understands what a "serving" of a food is. If I'm cooking pasta, we make 4 servings for our family of 3 (sometimes the extra gets eaten, sometimes 12-year-old has it for breakfast the next day LOL). If 2 cookies is a serving, he might be allowed to have 3 or 4 (growing active kid) but that's plenty. If he's still hungry, there are healthier foods around.

We also talk about the concept of treats: foods that you can have once in a while, but shouldn't have every day. Like lots of kids, he likes soda. We don't keep it in the house, but if he chooses to have a soda with a meal at a restaurant, he is choosing not to have a big sweet dessert that day.
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Coming from a fat kid...

Well said.