Oatmeal Ideas?

Options
Does anybody have any good ideas of how to make yummy oatmeal? Any good recipes? I usually eat Quaker oats 1 minute oatmeal, honey, banana, and cinnamon but I need new ideas for something different!

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and banana.
    don't forget to to have some protein with it too.
  • DST513
    DST513 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    add craisins and cinnamon thats my favorite. im actually eating it as im typing lol
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I add a half scoop of chocolate protein powder to dry oats, 1 whole egg, 2 large egg whites and sometimes half a mashed banana cooked as a big pancake :) Sounds weird, but I LOVE it.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and apple. Eat it for breakfast everyday and it never gets boring!
  • lauraOOOO
    lauraOOOO Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I add shredded coconut and brown sugar, as well as a small scoop of protien powder. yum!!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Nut butter, chocolate hazelnut OMG. Justin's Nut Butter is to die for ( no really, it's legit: http://www.justinsnutbutter.com/ ) and some granola...
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    1 cup light coconut milk
    1cup water
    1 cup steel cut oats
    bring to a boil then simmer fro 12 min or till liquid is gone

1-2 apples chopped into bites sized pieces
    1/2 tsp maple syrup
    1 tbsp water
    1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon
    in small saucepan heat till apples are soft then add 1/3 cup chopped, toasted pecans. stir. liquid should be syrupy...add to aotmeal and mix. drizzle with maple or syrup...or use stevia.
    I also use more cinnamon ;)
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    puree frozen fruit with stevia, layer on to of oat meal, yum!!
  • smarterthanyoda
    Options
    I add frozen berries.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    cinnamon
    dried fruit (mostly cranberries or raisins)
    maple syrup
    choco powder
    agave nectar
    peanut butter
    nuts: almonds, pecans or walnuts
    raspberries
    strawberries
    blueberries
    honey

I usually mix and match what I put in there...today was honey and dried cranberries; over the weekend I used raspberries and some choco powder
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    A man suggested this here earlier today. Sorry, I didn't take his name, just his oatmeal recipe! :blushing:
    Oatmeal With Cinnamon Apples
    1/3Cup Oatmeal (Old Fashioned) --- @ 100 Calories
    1/3 Cup Non Fat Milk -- @ 30 Calories
    A little less than 1/3 Cup Water
    1 small/medium Gala Apple (Cut into small squares) -- @ 80 Calories
    2-3 Tbsp of Splenda Sweetner (to taste)
    1-2 tsp of Cinnamon

Cook your Oatmeal per the directions. While it is cooking cut up your apple and place the cubes in a bowl and microwave for 2.5 minutes on high - this will cook them and make them tender. Then add your Splenda and Cinnamon to the apples mix well and cook in the microwave for another 20-30 seconds on high. This should result in a nice tender apple in a tasty cinnamon sauce.
  • kbchandra
    kbchandra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Most awesome recipe, only 200 cal. Cook 1/4 cup Quaker oats (not instant) with a cup of almond milk, add raisins or splenda and for a kick I sprinkle cinnamon. You can always add nuts.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Most awesome recipe, only 200 cal. Cook 1/4 cup Quaker oats (not instant) with a cup of almond milk, add raisins or splenda and for a kick I sprinkle cinnamon. You can always add nuts.

Sounds delish!! Gonna try this one for breakfast tomorrow!!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I just get regular oatmeal and add brown sugar, ground flax seed and wheat germ. Sometimes I add cinnamon, sometimes not. I'm not sick of it yet, so it works for me! I like the nutty flavor of the flax seed.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options

Hmmm... I have almond milk in the fridge. I should use some almond milk instead of water.... yum!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    A man suggested this here earlier today. Sorry, I didn't take his name, just his oatmeal recipe! :blushing:
    1-2 tsp of Cinnamon

Cook your Oatmeal per the directions. While it is cooking cut up your apple and place the cubes in a bowl and microwave for 2.5 minutes on high - this will cook them and make them tender. Then add your Splenda and Cinnamon to the apples mix well and cook in the microwave for another 20-30 seconds on high. This should result in a nice tender apple in a tasty cinnamon sauce.

Cooking the apple in the microwave to make it tender is a great idea!!!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    1-2 tsp of Cinnamon

I love the idea of cutting up apples and adding them in! I don't know why I haven't ever tried this, but I love the apple cinnamon packets I buy so I should give this a shot. Thanks for sharing!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Usually I just eat mine with a bit of fruit, greek yogurt and drizzle of honey. Banana and sour cream w/honey drizzle make for an interesting combo too. You can look for "baked" oatmeal recipes like this one. Much better for you than instant. And most of them freeze really well too...

Belly-Stuffing Peanut Butter Oatmeal baked with eggs, peanut butter, and soy milk packs enough protein to keep you satisfied until long past your lunch hour.

Whip it up Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8x8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of old-fashioned oats and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. In a medium bowl, beat 2 eggs and add 2 cups of va­nilla soy milk, a cup of water, and 4 tablespoons of natural peanut butter. Add to the oats, pour mixture into dish, and bake for 20 minutes. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons agave syrup.

Makes 6 servings. Per serving: 253 cal, 10 g fat (1 g sat), 30 g carbs, 96 mg sodium, 3.7 g fiber, 11 g protein

Or this...

Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal

■1 cup old fashioned oats, not quick cook
    ■1 Tbs whole flax seeds, optional
    ■2 1/2 Tbs brown sugar, packed
    ■1/2 tsp cinnamon
    ■1/4 tsp allspice
    ■1/8 tsp nutmeg
    ■1/2 tsp lemon zest
    ■1/4 tsp salt
    ■1/2 tsp vanilla
    ■2 tsp butter, softened
    ■3/4 cup pumpkin puree
    ■3/4 cup milk

Topping (you can skip this if you want)::

■1/4 cup pecans, chopped
    ■2 tsp butter, softened
    ■1 Tbs brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 4 individual sized ramekins. Set aside.

Combine the oats through salt in a medium sized bowl. Stir well. In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla, butter, pumpkin, and milk. Whisk thoroughly. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the oats. Stir until combined.

Divide mixture evenly between 4 individual sized ramekins. Place ramekins on a baking sheet (this makes it easier to move in and out of the oven.). Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the topping: chopped pecans, butter, and brown sugar. After the oatmeal has baked for 10 minutes, remove and divide topping mixture evenly between the ramekins. Bake and additional 7 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving. Top with a splash of milk and raisins, if desired.

OR last one, not really oatmeal but another option to get in your oats....

Cottage Cheese Pancakes

.1/2 c. Cottage Cheese

1 c. Oats

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1 banana (optional)

Throw in a food processor, blend and cook on a griddle.
  • briamycolson
    Options
    I love blueberries and peaches...but peaches are about done, so today, I did 1/4 C pure pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, a couple walnuts chopped and blueberries. It was yummy! You could add sugar or agave if you need it sweet. I only eat steel cut though...not instant. Adjust your water a bit maybe.

LOTS OF GREAT IDEAS EVERYBODY!!! THANKS!!!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    all my friends keep talking about putting pumpkin puree in their oatmeal... i think i'm going to have to give it a try! i generally just use pure indiana maple syrup! yummy!

another mfp friend uses cocoa powder on hers.

i noticed another poster mentioned steel cut oats... have you tried those. i LOVE them, even without anything added!