Oatmeal Ideas?

Options

Replies

• briamycolson
    Options
    Absolutely delicious sounding recipes!!!!!!!!!! Im going to save these for dessert...
  • JC1459
    JC1459 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have recently been reading about overnight oats online - haven't tried them yet but will soon -
    lots and lots of healthy recipes - and so many people eating them! Who knew? Not me .. lol
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanx for sharing these yummy-sounding recipes!

:drinker:

Ice
  • jxbailey
    jxbailey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love the book "75 ways to love your oatmeal" by Jenny Grothe. So many yummy recipes in there, I would highly recommend it! I usually only cook those on the weekends when I have extra time in the mornings.

My everyday oatmeal is:
    1/2 cup old fashioned quacker oats
    2/3 cup water
    Microwave for 2 minutes
    Meanwhile, put 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use muscle milk from costco) in glass measuring cup and fill with water to the 3/4 cup line. Mix really well with whisk or spoon then pour over oatmeal and mix. It makes the oatmeal kind of creamy.
    Then I top with 1/4 cup blueberries...yummy!!!

Hope you enjoy!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am boring. Unless I am away from home, I have this for breakfast every day.

1/3 cup old fashioned oats (100 cal)
    2/3 cup original almond milk (40 cal)
    1 oz (about 1/4 cup) dried fruit (100 cal)

Put oats and almond milk in deep bowl (so it won't boil over). Zap in microwave for 3 minutes.
    Stir in dried fruit.
    Eat.

Lightly sweet. Chewy. Very satisfying and keeps you full for a while. Only 240 calories.

Edit: My daughter tosses frozen blueberries and a sprinkle of cinnamon into her oatmeal BEFORE she cooks it and leaves out the dried fruit. She says it tastes like a blueberry muffin.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats with raisins, cinnamon, and either brown sugar or truvia, and a splash of milk.
  • drcharlies
    Options
    Blend equal parts fat-free or low fat cottage cheese, egg whites and oatmeal until smooth. Add some vanilla extract and cook like pancakes in a nonstick skillet. I use Pam but healthy oils work as well, so long as calories are accounted for. Topping options include calorie-free syrup, microwaved and mashed strawberries and natural preserves.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    Options
    hve you tried the Quaker Oats *Weight Control* Maple & Brown Sugar? only 1g of sugar and it's delicious.. but I always microwave it with 3/4 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk then add 1 tablespoon of raw almond butter. It's so good!!
  • lkelly
    Options
    75 Ways to Love Your Oatmeal = amazing recipes. I follow Jenny Grothe on FB as well, and I get a lot of really yummy recipes from her (for things other than oatmeal too).
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    lots of great ideas! Totally going to try those pancakes :)

Tagging for future reference :)
  • Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats with half a banana mashed , a 1/4 cup pumpkin and a 1/4 cup of plain greek yogurt and pumpkin pie spice
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I like steal cut oats, & (after a suggestion here!)I stir in a tbsp of PB, then I toss on about 8 ghiradelli dark chocolate chips. Yum!

I'm going to try it a little pumpkin spicey tomorrow! Love that idea!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I like steal cut oats, & (after a suggestion here!)I stir in a tbsp of PB, then I toss on about 8 ghiradelli dark chocolate chips. Yum!

I'm going to try it a little pumpkin spicey tomorrow! Love that idea!

MMMMMMMM!!! That sounds delish! I should have bought pumpkin spice when I went to the store today!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Made this last night...turned out pretty good. I missed the step about sprinkling on powdered sugar at the end. But it's still pretty good and I like the fact that it doesn't have a lot of added sugar. I also used lite coconut milk to make it (since that's what I had on hand) and it turned out nice and rich.

Baked Banana Oatmeal

1) Bananas

Slice 2 bananas. You can add these however you like – in with the wet ingredients or arranged in a pattern on the top (and/or bottom!) of the dish. (You’ll need an additional mashed banana for the wet ingredients below)

2) Combine the dry ingredients:

2 cups rolled oats
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp kosher salt

3) Combine the wet ingredients:

1 egg, beat
    1 mashed banana
    1.5 cups skim milk
    1 tsp vanilla

4) Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix well.

5) Line an 8″ pan (square or round) with parchment paper (for easy removal and cutting!).

6) Layer some banana slices on the bottom. Pour batter into pan. Top with remaining banana slices. OR just use cooking spray – or a pie dish (which is harder to get out in one piece but saves having to use parchment)

7) Pop into a 375* oven for about 26 minutes.

After 26 minutes, increase heat to broil, sprinkle oatmeal with 1 heaping tbsp brown sugar and broil for 3-4 minutes.
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    On the topic of oatmeal ... I eat Quaker lower sugar maple & brown sugar INSTANT oatmeal everyday for breakfast .... is it bad to eat instant oatmeal?? I know we are suppose to have the "rolled, whole oats" but is there really a huge difference???
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    On the topic of oatmeal ... I eat Quaker lower sugar maple & brown sugar INSTANT oatmeal everyday for breakfast .... is it bad to eat instant oatmeal?? I know we are suppose to have the "rolled, whole oats" but is there really a huge difference???

Instant oatmeal is better than a lot of other options. But you can still do better. The problem I have with it is often the ingredient list: but I am someone that tries to avoid processed foods as much as possible. Here is an example.

WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, SUGAR, NATURAL FLAVOR, SALT, CALCIUM CARBONATE, GUAR GUM, OAT FLOUR, CARAMEL COLOR, REDUCED IRON, VITAMIN A PALMITATE.

This is from Bob's Red Mill Rolled Oats: organic whole grain oats . There are a lot of "overnight" recipes and baked oatmeal recipes, like several that I have just posted, that make oatmeal preparation a snap.
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip ... I do have steelcut oats at my house, but i always find that I go back to the instant kind just because it already has the "mix-ins" already in it ... but I think I will try the original ones!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    A man suggested this here earlier today. Sorry, I didn't take his name, just his oatmeal recipe! :blushing:
    Oatmeal With Cinnamon Apples
    1/3Cup Oatmeal (Old Fashioned) --- @ 100 Calories
    1/3 Cup Non Fat Milk -- @ 30 Calories
    A little less than 1/3 Cup Water
    1 small/medium Gala Apple (Cut into small squares) -- @ 80 Calories
    2-3 Tbsp of Splenda Sweetner (to taste)
    1-2 tsp of Cinnamon

Cook your Oatmeal per the directions. While it is cooking cut up your apple and place the cubes in a bowl and microwave for 2.5 minutes on high - this will cook them and make them tender. Then add your Splenda and Cinnamon to the apples mix well and cook in the microwave for another 20-30 seconds on high. This should result in a nice tender apple in a tasty cinnamon sauce.

I just tried your idea of an apple! I cooked a small Mcintosh apple how you said and put it in my oatmeal. It was SOOOOO good! I thought it was better than my banana in oatmeal that I usually do. I still had to add honey for sweetness though.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    for everyone who likes the instant oats because they are quicker... i just pour boiling water over my old fashioned oats and it works well... not quite as mushy as the instant, but still very good. i even do this with my steel cut oats. they're a little harder that way (not too hard and i actually enjoy the texture more), but it only takes a couple minutes instead of 20 to cook them! you can easily add whatever you want to them after that... brown sugar, fresh fruit, cocoa powder, peanut butter, chocolate chips, maple syrup, whatever you want!
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    I use Old Fashioned oats and Almond Milk. Sprinkle with cinnamon, tsp of honey, and 1/2 to 1 cup fruit. Every morning for a long time now! Love it!

I'm going to have to try the pumpkin though....sounds yummy! Any excuse to use pumpkin is a good one to me!