Spouse brings home candy, cookies, ice cream etc.

Options
I have a problem, a big one. My boyfriend brings home junk about 3 times a week from work. Snack size candy bars of all types, cookies, baked goods from the cafeteria, ice cream. He says it's for our kids but it's driving me insane. We both need to lose weight, he about 30lbs and me about 70 lbs. We've been together about 12 years. I weighed about the same when he met me but he has gained weight since being with me. Anyways, I want to stop eating these things but I'm not feeling strong enough to just say no. I know I can't blame it on him everytime I cave in and eat the junk. I've jokingly asked him why he is trying to sabotage my attempts at being healthier, he just laughs and says, "you don't have to eat it!" Problem is, I DO!!! He doesn't get it. If you have gone through the same thing, please tell me what you did to not give in to the junk food that your better half is bringing home.

Replies

• voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    he just laughs and says, "you don't have to eat it!" Problem is, I DO!!! He doesn't get it.

First off, NO, you DON'T have to eat it. Second, you mentioned he's bringing it home for your kids? Why don't you ALL get on the bandwagon and just tell him not to bring it at all. Your kids don't NEED crap either...having that stuff brought home 3 or so times a week isn't good for them in the long run either. Stand up for yourself and for your kids and just tell him that he needs to stop bringing it home. End of story.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Well, first of all, he shouldn't be bringing it for the kids, either! You don't want to pass down your unhealthy habits- maybe bring that to his attention. It took a while for me to get that point across to my husband, but after a while, he understood, and now tries to bring non-food surprises home from time to time, and brings candy a little less. Also, in the beginning, he had the same attitude about food- "Just don't eat it." Try turning it around using something he understands. Use his weakness to show help him understand yours. That helped me get through to my husband. Maybe tell him that if he insists on having those things, that he should keep them at his work or something where he can enjoy them, but you won't be temped. Another thing- ask him which he would rather have. A slim healthy lady, or a jiggly unhealthy one- that might get the point across loud and clear :) I hope that helps!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Maybe select one item, and factor it on for your calories the next day. Budget for it... and have it.

I'm a strong girl. But I can't say no to the things I love. If I have them occasionally, and I budget for them, I don't feel guilty, and I know it's not going to blow my hard work.
  • hefinator
    Options
    I had to have a talk with my BF lately about a similar situation. when he's being cute and wants to buy me something, its usually little chocolates, or cookies, or ice cream. Because he knows i like them. But at the same time, i need to stop eating them to get healthier. so, I told him if he wanted to buy me something, buy me some flowers, or my drink mix for my water! and if he wants candy and all that, put it somewhere I can't reach or put it in his car!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    yep, noones making you eat it. and ill just throw it out there, i would rather kill myself than feed my daughter that crap! discusting!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I had to have a talk with my BF lately about a similar situation. when he's being cute and wants to buy me something, its usually little chocolates, or cookies, or ice cream. Because he knows i like them. But at the same time, i need to stop eating them to get healthier. so, I told him if he wanted to buy me something, buy me some flowers, or my drink mix for my water! and if he wants candy and all that, put it somewhere I can't reach or put it in his car!

How would you feel about chocolate dipped strawberries as a compromise :)?
  • april92377
    april92377 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have the same EXACT problem here. Usually it's not candies or ice cream luckily, but there are a foods that kill my diet and If it were totally up to me I wouldn't buy them at all so that he couldn't tempt me. I have to but up the call of bad carbs. Breakfast cereals, Nutrigrain Bars, Peanut Butter, Bread, and the worst part of all is that he always, daily, wants to eat out for dinner. When I order something like a side salad and water, I get in trouble fr making him look bad. It's insane!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Really hard to do the first few times, but after taking the previous advice to speak up for yourself and your children, walk the junk over to the garbage can and TOSS IT WHERE IT BELONGS!! Then ask him in your bestest sugary sweet darlin' voice to please take the trash out :) Be sure to bat your eyelashes for added effect.

Good luck! My hubby was more than supportive on this issue... my parents not so much.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    yep, noones making you eat it. and ill just throw it out there, i would rather kill myself than feed my daughter that crap! discusting!

The "no one makes you eat it" line isn't really helpful. Of course it's true, but the point is that the OP would exercise her own willpower by keeping it out of the house entirely. The BF sabotaging her efforts and laughing it off is kind of rude and disrespectful.
  • algebravoodoo
    Options
    And the chocolate covered strawberries are not a bad compromise, as long as it is dark chocolate and in reasonable quantities. But you have to have enough time to make the good habits stick before going there.
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My honey has a lot of junk food - I buy it for him, he can eat the stuff since I swear he has a negative BMI lol. BUT - I buy separate snacks for me, and for the kids. Kids get sugar free regular pudding cups. I get Sugar free jello temptations. He gets nutty buddy's...it works for us. I find if I keep something yummy in the house so I can have a "treat" when I want to, I don't feel tempted to eat the crap I buy for him. You can do it! Be strong, and have a backup plan :)
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

The "no one makes you eat it" line isn't really helpful. Of course it's true, but the point is that the OP would exercise her own willpower by keeping it out of the house entirely. The BF sabotaging her efforts and laughing it off is kind of rude and disrespectful.

Amen
  • virgiithinkican
    Options
    I get that I don't have to eat it. But it sure feels like I do! I am addicted to sweets. At least that's why I think I have such a hard time saying no. And I also agree with not giving it to my kids. It's gotten to the point where they run to him when he gets home and ask him if he brought candy! Crazy. I've thought about just throwing it away when he's not looking and maybe that will teach him that if he brings it, it'll just go to waste. But I've never tried. I've also told him to stop bringing it home but he doesn't see it as his problem. And it's not, it's mine. So if any of you have any suggestions I'm all ears!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    It's all about choice. YOU are in Control of what you eat. YOU Choose what You eat.

Have a heart to heart with him about what eating healthier really means to you. Tell hi how it feels when he is subconsioucly negatively supporting you. You've been together for 12 years. He should have the skin to take this. Additionally, he should love you enough to say....wow, I'm sorry. I need to change this.

We can do only so much via this portal to you...He ha a greater impact and can be a greater support for you. Tell him how much you need his support. If he doesnt change it...bluntly put here...he just doesn't give flying rat's *kitten*
  • Navmachine
    Options
    i agree that bringing home that kind of junk food home to your kids is extremely unhealthy for them, especially that often. i think your entire house definitely needs to detox from all that sugar. everyone is going to hate each other for about a week, but after that it will get so much better.

i was def in your boat as far as addicted to sugar. little debbie was my "golden calf". but! i still enjoy sweets on occasion (i've gone through a detox myself, and am amazed at how well my skin looks, so i dont want to reverse my progress), i've re-trained my taste buds to enjoy the sweetness of fruits and spices. my trick is, i dont buy prepackaged sweets (like candy or ice cream). instead, i just buy sweets that i hafto make (like homemade strawberry shortcake, or baked apples/peaches with cinnamin-yum! ). that way, i've got to REALLY want it, to go through all the trouble of getting to the kitchen and dirtying up more dishes, and taking the time to bake something. typically, that's enough to deterr me from doing it!

it sounds to me like your fella might be bringing them candy because it gives him a boost because they run to him when he comes home, all happy and excited. if he's not on board with not bringing home this crap to your children. i'd DEFINITELY just suggest throwing it away. and if he has a problem with that, firmly state that your children's health is extremely important to you, and it's much more important than his ego. kids will be happy to see him come home no matter what, he doesnt need candy to "buy" their affection.
  • algebravoodoo
    Options
    It could also be a misguided subconsious attempt to say he loves you exactly the way you are. :flowerforyou:

Someone else suggested keeping a reasonable portion and budgeting for it. Then toss the rest in the trash. He has got to understand just how his actions are making you feel. I would find it hurtful, just as bad as if my hubby had trashed my book collection. This is important to you. Have you tried putting it in just that simple a statement?
  • hefinator
    Options

How would you feel about chocolate dipped strawberries as a compromise :)?

hmmm... i may just go for that.... :happy:
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea that you dont have to eat it. But putting my money where my mouth is would be pretty hard for me to do. I dont know why but it sometimes feels like my husband is trying to sabotage all of the hard work I am doing. He works for a national food company and often comes home with frozen pizzas, tubs of ice cream, all sorts of foods that I really should not be eating. I dont mind my kids having a bowl of ice cream a few nights a week, but I do not have that luxury. I have tried really hard from the beginning to make sure that I did not force this new food lifestyle upon my family. There are times when the only change I make to my meal is a portion size. I really did not want anyone to resent me or to feel that I was forcing my needs upon them. For the most part this has worked. My husband needs to lose a lot of weight, but that is his decision to make. I simply told him that he can eat whatever he wants. I will not ever dictate his diet. But please, please dont bring it home and let me know it is here. I do not have the willpower. I think when I said it that way...in a way that he knew I was not telling him not to eat it...I think that is when it clicked for him. All of the things he thought were going to happen as a result of me changing my diet do not in fact affect him. He was on the defensive from the get go. Now he has backed down and he lets me do my thing while I let him do his thing. One day, I hope, he will join me. But when he does it will be of his own free will.
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Mine works at a grocery store and he is always bringing home junk even when I beg him not to. So today I took all of it out of the pantry and threw it in a box. I then labeled it "nasty *kitten* junk food do not eat" and then put it at the bottom so every time I open the door I won't be tempted by all the sweets. He doesn't need to lose weight, and doesn't binge on it or feed it to our kids all day so there really isn't a reason why he can't have it at all. IM the one with the problem, so I came up with a solution.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Here's my deal...I learned my eating habits when I was a child. During this time, my parents were gaining weight...I have had to re-learn the right way to eay. Now I have a child...and she is learning the right wya to eat with me. The kids do NOT need to have free access to bad things. Just like you don't keep a supply of pot, rolling papers and a lighter around...don't do it with junk food.