Good fats

Options
I absolutely LOVE eggs, avacado's, peanut/almond butter, nuts, mackerel but find that every time I eat them I go over my fat. I would love to be able to eat more of these foods.

So, what I would like to know is does it matter if I go over my fat content with good fats?

Replies

• trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    not really, as long as it is by a moderate amount. Just keep in mind that it is offset by another macro. If you are getting your good fats from fish then logically you will cut down some carbs.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by over? Over what? What's your "limit" currently set at?
  • Scoobies87
    Options

My fat goal is 40, That's what MFP recommended.
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump
  • armymil
    armymil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hey, check out http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/daily-fat-intake/

Basically you can understand the difference of good and bad fats. He has an larger overview of creating your own diet plan but without too much reading, just read that and you'll understand.

MFP recommends the fat at 40, but you have to understand that 1 fat gram (whether good or bad) is 9 calories each. So going over is adding more calories.

Edit: I wanted to add that 1 g of protein and 1 g of carb is only 4 calories.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I generally don't worry about going over by as much as 20-25g, especially if it's because I'm eating a lot of nuts or eggs. It does still count as fat but the other health benefits of those foods and the types of fats they contain outweighs any issues of being over goal on a particular macro anyway. 40g seems kind of low to me anyway but I suppose if you're on a 1200-1400 cal diet it does make some sense.

Eggs are an interesting animal. They always seem to put me over on fat for the day and always blow my cholesterol right out (1 egg has 210mg of cholesterol, I usually eat two, and the MFP default goal and general health guidance is to keep cholesterol under 300mg). However, I've read of alot of the most recent information on eggs and while they contain a lot of cholesterol, the research shows that they ultimately actually reduce the cholesterol levels in your blood.

My point is, you can't discount the fact that you ate it, but you don't need to panic either and have to consider the bigger picture.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

Sorry, I don't use MFP like that. 40 what? 40 grams? 40%?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Not as long as you don't go over on calories also. I only track saturated fat. I'm sure I go over on the others often.
  • Scoobies87
    Options

Sorry, I don't use MFP like that. 40 what? 40 grams? 40%?

40 grams
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Be careful with saturated fat - that fat is an artery clogger....
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Says who?
  • bcattoes
    Options

Says who?

Doctors, scientists, nutritionists, dieticians
  • joejccva71
    Options

Says who?

Please cite the studies showing that saturated fat is bad for you, is an "artery clogger" or is the cause of CVD and CHD.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Says who?

Please cite the studies showing that saturated fat is bad for you, is an "artery clogger" or is the cause of CVD and CHD.

Look them up if you want the individual studies. You'll have to find several, analyze the results and mertis of each, then analyze the all the findings as a whole and then get some others to do the same and compare your findings to make any knowledable theories about the outcomes. I don't have the time or training for that. I'll stick to recommendations from trusted sources who've already done that for me.
  • joejccva71
    Options

Says who?

Look them up if you want the individual studies. You'll have to find several, analyze the results and mertis of each, then analyze the all the findings as a whole and then get some others to do the same and compare your findings to make any knowledable theories about the outcomes. I don't have the time or training for that. I'll stick to recommendations from trusted sources who've already done that for me.

Of course Bcatt you can never cite any studies because you go based on rinky dink articles that are someone's (doctor's or so-called nutritionists) opinions on the subject. We've been through this before, and every time I ask you to cite studies..you tell ME to look them up. LOL..which I have and have read them several times. I've even posted links to studies repeatedly on this forum.

Unless you are tearing apart the fat off a piece of meat and using it as bubble gum, you are fine. There has been absolutely ZERO evidence that saturated fats are the cause of CVD and CHD. No one is saying to tip over a bottle of oil and drink it like water. Obviously too much saturated fat can go over the minimum and maximum fat intake for a person in a day. Just like too much water is bad, too much calcium, Vitamin A, etc etc is bad.

But to say saturated fat is an artery clogger and is bad for you is an completely ignorant statement in itself.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options

Says who?

Saturated fat does not clog arteries. Do not post false information.

The only "bad fats" are trans fats.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Says who?

Of course Bcatt you can never cite any studies because you go based on rinky dink articles that are someone's (doctor's or so-called nutritionists) opinions on the subject. We've been through this before, and every time I ask you to cite studies..you tell ME to look them up. LOL..which I have and have read them several times. I've even posted links to studies repeatedly on this forum.

Unless you are tearing apart the fat off a piece of meat and using it as bubble gum, you are fine. There has been absolutely ZERO evidence that saturated fats are the cause of CVD and CHD. No one is saying to tip over a bottle of oil and drink it like water. Obviously too much saturated fat can go over the minimum and maximum fat intake for a person in a day. Just like too much water is bad, too much calcium, Vitamin A, etc etc is bad.

But to say saturated fat is an artery clogger and is bad for you is an completely ignorant statement in itself.

There is a lot of evidence that people who eat diets high in saturated fat have higher incidence of heart disease. If you want to surf the net, read and post some random studies and think you know more than the leading nutritional scientists in the world then go ahead. Good luck with that. But I will stick to vegetable fats.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

Says who?

You're a vegetarian, are you not? So you have a natural bias towards plant based foods which typically have unsaturated fats. Therefore, IMO, you are not as qualified to discuss this as someone with an unbiased opinion. It is my opinion, that as a vegetarian, you would completely disregard any and all research that does not back up your beliefs. Your opinion does not make studies relevant or irrelevant. It's the participants studied, science, and research that in fact validate the claims. IMO...
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    There is a lot of *OBSERVATIONS* that people who eat diets high in saturated fat have higher incidence of heart disease.

I fixed it for you.

Yet the French and the Swiss don't have high incidences, how do you explain that?
  • bcattoes
    Options

Says who?

You're a vegetarian, are you not? So you have a natural bias towards plant based foods which typically have unsaturated fats. Therefore, IMO, you are not as qualified to discuss this as someone with an unbiased opinion. It is my opinion, that as a vegetarian, you would completely disregard any and all research that does not back up your beliefs. Your opinion does not make studies relevant or irrelevant. It's the participants studied, science, and research that in fact validate the claims. IMO...

No, I am not vegetarian (my diary is open). No meat yesterday, but chicken on Sunday and Philly cheese steak sandwiches on Saturday (with lean meat and reduced fat cheese, of course :tongue: ) But I am guilty of loving plant based foods.