Good fats

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Bcatt since you still won't cite anything, and you keep rambling on I will lend you a hand. (for the 20th time in fact)

Also "high in saturated fat" is subjective. Of course if you eat over your macro requirements you may have some problems. Like if you eat 300g of fats a day sure. If you have way too much calcium in a day, or too many carbs in a day.

Anyways, moving on to the studies:
    Abstract
    Background: A reduction in dietary saturated fat has generally been thought to improve cardiovascular health.

Objective: The objective of this meta-analysis was to summarize the evidence related to the association of dietary saturated fat with risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke, and cardiovascular disease (CVD; CHD inclusive of stroke) in prospective epidemiologic studies.

Design: Twenty-one studies identified by searching MEDLINE and EMBASE databases and secondary referencing qualified for inclusion in this study. A random-effects model was used to derive composite relative risk estimates for CHD, stroke, and CVD.

Results: During 5–23 y of follow-up of 347,747 subjects, 11,006 developed CHD or stroke. Intake of saturated fat was not associated with an increased risk of CHD, stroke, or CVD. The pooled relative risk estimates that compared extreme quantiles of saturated fat intake were 1.07 (95% CI: 0.96, 1.19; P = 0.22) for CHD, 0.81 (95% CI: 0.62, 1.05; P = 0.11) for stroke, and 1.00 (95% CI: 0.89, 1.11; P = 0.95) for CVD. Consideration of age, sex, and study quality did not change the results.

Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.

Received March 6, 2009.
    Accepted November 25, 2009.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

Next ....

I would like you to go to this next site, scroll down to the bottom and read all the studies or atleast some of them regarding Saturated Fat, Cholesterol, and CVD/CHD. I don't really feel the need to quote every single word. Just read.

http://www.askscooby.com/nutrition-39/the-truth-about-saturated-fat-and-cholesterol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of *OBSERVATIONS* that people who eat diets high in saturated fat have higher incidence of heart disease.

I fixed it for you.

Yet the French and the Swiss don't have high incidences, how do you explain that?

I don't explain it nor do I see how the statement makes any difference. Studies are all observations. Just theories and hypotheses based on evidence, which is why I stick to those who are trained and trusted to make such ovservations and not some random posters on an public internet site for nutritional advice.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE eggs, avacado's, peanut/almond butter, nuts, mackerel but find that every time I eat them I go over my fat. I would love to be able to eat more of these foods.

So, what I would like to know is does it matter if I go over my fat content with good fats?

There are several kinds of fats, such as unsaturated, saturated, and trans. Here is a good chart to explain some of the differences http://www.diffen.com/difference/Saturated_Fats_vs_Unsaturated_Fats . Pretty much the main difference is the stucture of the compounds. Really there is no 'good fats' just better. What I suggest is to try to find low fat options, especially with the peanut butter. Try some different brands, you might find one you like
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement that the saturated fat dogma is pretty played out. When you review the available evidence objectively... it's pretty hard to paint it as horribly as many "experts" have.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    There is a lot of *OBSERVATIONS* that people who eat diets high in saturated fat have higher incidence of heart disease.

I fixed it for you.

Yet the French and the Swiss don't have high incidences, how do you explain that?

I don't explain it nor do I see how the statement makes any difference. Studies are all observations. Just theories and hypotheses based on evidence, which is why I stick to those who are trained and trusted to make such ovservations and not some random posters on an public internet site for nutritional advice.

But yet you don't ever cite any studies!! Stop talking and start citing studies...like how I have. ;)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Be careful with saturated fat - that fat is an artery clogger....

Says who?

Doctors, scientists, nutritionists, dieticians

Please cite the studies showing that saturated fat is bad for you, is an "artery clogger" or is the cause of CVD and CHD.

Look them up if you want the individual studies. You'll have to find several, analyze the results and mertis of each, then analyze the all the findings as a whole and then get some others to do the same and compare your findings to make any knowledable theories about the outcomes. I don't have the time or training for that. I'll stick to recommendations from trusted sources who've already done that for me.

You're a vegetarian, are you not? So you have a natural bias towards plant based foods which typically have unsaturated fats. Therefore, IMO, you are not as qualified to discuss this as someone with an unbiased opinion. It is my opinion, that as a vegetarian, you would completely disregard any and all research that does not back up your beliefs. Your opinion does not make studies relevant or irrelevant. It's the participants studied, science, and research that in fact validate the claims. IMO...

You would assume that someone who is a vegetarian is vegetarian for health reasons. Some of us just feel bad eating animals.

I still eat dairy (full fat cheese, even) and eggs. Don't ASSume something just because someone eats little to no meat unless you know that person's views on nutrition.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Bcatt since you still won't cite anything, and you keep rambling on I will lend you a hand. (for the 20th time in fact)

Also "high in saturated fat" is subjective. Of course if you eat over your macro requirements you may have some problems. Like if you eat 300g of fats a day sure. If you have way too much calcium in a day, or too many carbs in a day.

Abstract
    Background: A reduction in dietary saturated fat has generally been thought to improve cardiovascular health.

Objective: The objective of this meta-analysis was to summarize the evidence related to the association of dietary saturated fat with risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke, and cardiovascular disease (CVD; CHD inclusive of stroke) in prospective epidemiologic studies.

Design: Twenty-one studies identified by searching MEDLINE and EMBASE databases and secondary referencing qualified for inclusion in this study. A random-effects model was used to derive composite relative risk estimates for CHD, stroke, and CVD.

Results: During 5–23 y of follow-up of 347,747 subjects, 11,006 developed CHD or stroke. Intake of saturated fat was not associated with an increased risk of CHD, stroke, or CVD. The pooled relative risk estimates that compared extreme quantiles of saturated fat intake were 1.07 (95% CI: 0.96, 1.19; P = 0.22) for CHD, 0.81 (95% CI: 0.62, 1.05; P = 0.11) for stroke, and 1.00 (95% CI: 0.89, 1.11; P = 0.95) for CVD. Consideration of age, sex, and study quality did not change the results.

Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.

Received March 6, 2009.

Next ....

I would like you to go to this next site, scroll down to the bottom and read all the studies or atleast some of them regarding Saturated Fat, Cholesterol, and CVD/CHD. I don't really feel the need to quote every single word. Just read.

http://www.askscooby.com/nutrition-39/the-truth-about-saturated-fat-and-cholesterol

When you produce credentials that come close to those of Dr. Walter Willet (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/faculty/walter-willett/
    ), I'll take your advice over the Harvard School of Public Health. Until then I don't see the point of this argument. If you choose to ignore the evidence as a whole (not cherry picking studies to prove a point) then that is your prerogative.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/Truth-about-fats.shtml
    The body needs fat. It’s a major energy source and also helps you absorb certain vitamins and nutrients. Only some fats are bad for you: saturated fats and trans fatty acids, or trans fats. These bad fats boost your chances of developing heart disease by increasing two of its main risk factors: LDL cholesterol and triglycerides.

But some fats are good for you, and this is the case with unsaturated fats. There are two types of unsaturated fats: polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats. These good fats can help lower LDL, prevent abnormal heart rhythms, and prevent heart disease.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

Says who?

Please cite the studies showing that saturated fat is bad for you, is an "artery clogger" or is the cause of CVD and CHD.

Look them up if you want the individual studies. You'll have to find several, analyze the results and mertis of each, then analyze the all the findings as a whole and then get some others to do the same and compare your findings to make any knowledable theories about the outcomes. I don't have the time or training for that. I'll stick to recommendations from trusted sources who've already done that for me.

You're a vegetarian, are you not? So you have a natural bias towards plant based foods which typically have unsaturated fats. Therefore, IMO, you are not as qualified to discuss this as someone with an unbiased opinion. It is my opinion, that as a vegetarian, you would completely disregard any and all research that does not back up your beliefs. Your opinion does not make studies relevant or irrelevant. It's the participants studied, science, and research that in fact validate the claims. IMO...

You would assume that someone who is a vegetarian is vegetarian for health reasons. Some of us just feel bad eating animals.

I still eat dairy (full fat cheese, even) and eggs. Don't ASSume something just because someone eats little to no meat unless you know that person's views on nutrition.

I was talking directly TO bcatt...not ALL vegetarians because I have seen her make multiple anti-saturated fats comments in threads. So don't ASSume I'm talking to all veges when the comment isn't directed at YOU.
  • Gigi_licious
    Options

Says who?

No, I am not vegetarian (my diary is open). No meat yesterday, but chicken on Sunday and Philly cheese steak sandwiches on Saturday (with lean meat and reduced fat cheese, of course :tongue: ) But I am guilty of loving plant based foods.

Just yesterday you commented on another thread that there are plenty of protien sources that don't have to be chased when they are running out of fear all around us. That lead me to believe that you don't eat animals. I apologize for the misconception you gave.
  • joejccva71
    Options

Abstract

Received March 6, 2009.

Next ....

When you produce credentials that come close to those of Dr. Walter Willet (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/faculty/walter-willett/
    ), I'll take your advice over the Harvard School of Public Health. Until then I don't see the point of this argument. If you choose to ignore the evidence as a whole (not cherry picking studies to prove a point) then that is your prerogative.

The body needs fat. It’s a major energy source and also helps you absorb certain vitamins and nutrients. Only some fats are bad for you: saturated fats and trans fatty acids, or trans fats. These bad fats boost your chances of developing heart disease by increasing two of its main risk factors: LDL cholesterol and triglycerides.

But some fats are good for you, and this is the case with unsaturated fats. There are two types of unsaturated fats: polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats. These good fats can help lower LDL, prevent abnormal heart rhythms, and prevent heart disease.

Funny how this is his opinion. I haven't even gone to the sites and I already know he's wrong. Interesting how there are many different studies that SHOW and PROVE that saturated fat does not increase the risk of CVD and CHD.

Also he's completely and totally wrong about LDL cholesterol

Dietary cholesterol (foods you eat) have very minimal effect on your blood serum cholesterol, and the links I have provided have studies that show and prove this.

But we'll take what one doctor from "Harvard" says over any other proven study out there. K.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Says who?

No, I am not vegetarian (my diary is open). No meat yesterday, but chicken on Sunday and Philly cheese steak sandwiches on Saturday (with lean meat and reduced fat cheese, of course :tongue: ) But I am guilty of loving plant based foods.

Just yesterday you commented on another thread that there are plenty of protien sources that don't have to be chased when they are running out of fear all around us. That lead me to believe that you don't eat animals. I apologize for the misconception you gave.

While I agree with that statement, I did not post that. You must have me confused with someone else.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Says who?

I was talking directly TO bcatt...not ALL vegetarians because I have seen her make multiple anti-saturated fats comments in threads. So don't ASSume I'm talking to all veges when the comment isn't directed at YOU.

"You're a vegetarian, are you not? So you have a natural bias towards plant based foods which typically have unsaturated fats."

If you meant only her, then you should have specified.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Abstract

Received March 6, 2009.

Next ....

Funny how this is his opinion. I haven't even gone to the sites and I already know he's wrong. Interesting how there are many different studies that SHOW and PROVE that saturated fat does not increase the risk of CVD and CHD.

Also he's completely and totally wrong about LDL cholesterol

Dietary cholesterol (foods you eat) have very minimal effect on your blood serum cholesterol, and the links I have provided have studies that show and prove this.

But we'll take what one doctor from "Harvard" says over any other proven study out there. K.

It's not just him. Apparently everyone at Harvard Dept. of Nutrition is wrong. As are those at the Mayo Clinic, and those that conducted all those studies posted on the NIH that you don't site because they don't fit your argument of the day. Believe what you want, eat what you want and good luck to you. Seriously.
  • Gigi_licious
    Options

Says who?

While I agree with that statement, I did not post that. You must have me confused with someone else.

It was you, but it was a thread I didn't comment on. So since I can't go back in to quote you, you win this one. Booo.
  • Gigi_licious
    Options

Says who?

"You're a vegetarian, are you not? So you have a natural bias towards plant based foods which typically have unsaturated fats."

If you meant only her, then you should have specified.

I quoted her, I figured that meant I was talking to her. But alrighty then. Agree to disagree on perception of wording.
  • Gigi_licious
    Options

Says who?

FOUND IT! It was you! The thread "Fat Head" Bcattoes: "Why would anyone spend time chasing, killing, and butchering animals when there was food that doesn't fight back everywhere you look?"
  • bcattoes
    Options
    It was you, but it was a thread I didn't comment on. So since I can't go back in to quote you, you win this one. Booo.

I "win"?? Were we playing a game? Cool! I love winning.
  • mestupscout
    mestupscout Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The dietician in the cardiac unit for one.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    WOW! Look at the war! TOTALLY unnecessary!

Well.... if you venture over to the American Heart Association's website and it will tell you all about how you should limit your saturated fat intake due to the fact it is known to clog and harden arteries over time and which foods it can be commonly found....It also increases the cholesterol levels as well...hence "artery clogger".... its common knowledge....

Its basic knowledge readily available.... and every doctor's office I have ever worked in (and that included cardiologists), always gives pamphlets out to their patients who are advised of different dietary changes to take, as an educational resource. I have worked 25 specialties of medicine, have also worked in the culinary field where creating healthier meal options is a specialty of mine currently.

Can we play nice now?
  • bcattoes
    Options

Says who?

FOUND IT! It was you! The thread "Fat Head" Bcattoes: "Why would anyone spend time chasing, killing, and butchering animals when there was food that doesn't fight back everywhere you look?"

Ah, yes. Those crazy cavemen! I knew the "running in fear" thing wasn't mine. I was refering to the effort it takes to procure meat without a gun or grocery store vs. picking a tasty veggie to eat. I still say, I think I'd have gone for the veggies.

Does this mean no prize for me?