Courting at the gym

Options

Replies

• Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think you should work out near her if you know what cardio machines she works out on. If you have TV's at your gym you can always say, hey which chaneel is that? or some kind of question to get her to speak with you. Maybe she wants you to make the first move to talk to her. every time i am at the gym, even though i have a fiancee, i have always wondered what it would be like if I drove someone to do that extra rep. i find that VERY romantic. Please talk to her! Carefully approach it, and talk to her like a normal person, lol not laying some cheesy pick up line, haha! jk. Good Luck!!!!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I think saying Hello or giving tips is nice... it's when you immediately start asking name, digits and etc... it get's creepy... nothing wrong with being gym friends & then maybe it could progress to more.

I don't know about the tips, I get really annoyed when people start giving me "tips" at the gym. It's like WTF, let me do my exercises and leave me the hell alone! Maybe it's because at my old gym a personal trainer was always hounding me to get me to sign up for classes and it would annoy the f$ck out of me.

Hello is a good start. Personally, I don't socialize at the gym, I'm there to kick *kitten* for 30-40 mins because that is the only time I have to work out in the mornings. When this older lady starts yapping at me, ugh, makes me want to want to punt cute kittens.

But other than that, go for it, like someone else said, what is the worse thing that can happen? (I can think of many, like she turns out to be a man, lol) but other than she is not interested, nothing else :)

Good luck!! =)
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    At 41, I'm amazed at how much agonizing I put into worrying about how to ask women out when I was younger. Of course, it's easy to be now that I'm married. :)

The biggest trick in asking a woman out is confidence. If you go into the deal acting like this is going to make or break you, they can sense it a mile away and you are doomed. It's easy to say you need confidence but hard to do if you don't have confidence.

All I can say is make your decision, chart your course, and then damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

To me, this is real simple. Catch her when she has just finished whatever she was doing and say, "Hey, I know being at the gym might be kind of an awkward place to bring this up, but I think it's cool that you are into fitness like I am and I was wondering if you would like to get together outside of gym?"

I remember when I was single I used to just agonize over the "what if she says no?" problem. Plus I hated (and still hate) putting people on the spot.

Eventually I learned to just screw it. You want what you want in life and if you don't ask you'll never get it. Start asking soon and often.
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    But other than that, go for it, like someone else said, what is the worse thing that can happen? (I can think of many, like she turns out to be a man, lol) but other than she is not interested, nothing else :)

Hey now! I was trying to be positive! lol
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    not for me, I don't even like ot be spoken to.

But I'm weird, and there are NO attractive men at my gym.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Tough spot! I think most women would HATE to get hit on at the gym.
    I consider it socially unacceptable.
    Not sure, but maybe try to walk out at the same time, chat with her then?

Speaking as an actual woman who goes to the gym, I wouldn't hate it, depending on the approach.

Introduce yourself, be polite and not pushy and feel her out a little. Then maybe ask if she wants an accountability partner or something, to keep each other motivated.

As long as you're sweet and not creepy, it shouldn't be a problem. And if she's clearly not interested, back off.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    not for me, I don't even like ot be spoken to.

But I'm weird, and there are NO attractive men at my gym.

plus, you're blurry...
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Comment that you've noticed her around a few times and that she getting more fit.

Isnt that implying that you thought she was fat before? lol
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I personally don't mind being hit on at the gym, it's staring and ogling I don't like. I say go for it, be casual and try to make eye contact first. Eye contact most of the time means she's interested otherwise she would prob just ignore you completely. Oh and someone said give tips, I wouldn't do that, you don't know her she might think that is pigheaded........too risky.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Find something to have a conversation about, as opposed to just full fledge asking them out. Even if she thinks your cute, girls are weird about working out. While guys normally find a girl who is warm and dripping in sweat very sexy, girls often feel disgusting and turned off by the world. It might be easier to strike up with a conversation, or something like that, and become workout buddies, and progress from there
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Comment that you've noticed her around a few times and that she getting more fit.

Isnt that implying that you thought she was fat before? lol

yes DO NOT say that! Just comment on her dedication to the gym or something! haha
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    One day I arrived at the gym & was sorting out my music & this bloke asked me what I had playing. Was a good opening line & bless him he was quite nice looking but he noticed the wedding ring & rightly backed off. But if I were a man, that's how I would approach it. Just randomly going up to her & asking her out would be a bit too forward, getting an "in" without being pushy or creepy is the way to go.

Good luck
  • taco_tap
    taco_tap Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Go for it.. You will probably regret it if you don't. I think I would be flattered. You know the quote "If you cant handle me at my worst, you dont deserve me at my best"
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    This exact thing is happening at my gym. It's the cutest thing! This guy and girl go to gym around the same time I do so I've noticed they're talking to each other more everyday! Go for it! I would be very flattered to be hit on at the gym. :smile:
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I definitely say go for it! Why not?

I think I would be really flattered if someone approached me at the gym. And having become recently single, and hoping I'm going to have the nerve to get myself out there, I definitely appreciate a guy making the first move. Sometimes we're just shy! Just keep it a little more casual or informal, as others have said, rather than going for a number right away.
  • dieseljay74
    Options
    Hold on a second, let me get my note pad....lol

I've always heard women saying they hate that....well good to hear. I may have to proceed....
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Even if it is socially acceptable to attempt this kind of approach in a gym, I am not even sure how to break the ice. In fact, at this present time in my life, I have nothing to offer a woman but my honest friendship. But then that would be another thread I suppose :ohwell:

I am curious what you mean by this part. Is this a situation where you're married but in the process of getting a divorce and aren't sure you want to date until that's all out of the way? Or is this a situation where you're in a committed relationship, but you've got a crush on a woman at the gym?

If it's the former, figure out how far you're willing to go. If you know you don't want to date yet, then don't approach her as a guy looking for a date. If you think you might be open to dating, then just be upfront about your marital status.

If it's the latter, don't even go there. You cannot be friends with a woman you have a crush on. That is a can of worms.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    how about the Chris Farley approach from Tommy Boy...
  • Being2befit
    Being2befit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I mean go for it..and worst she can do is look at your weird or think your weird

but i mean i think alot of guys miss there opportunity just cause they didnt say hello..

i mean does she talk or stare or look at you??
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When I used to be a personal trainer some guy bought training from me just so he could talk to me. I ended up marrying him. I say go for it!