What if your friend at work told on you?

Options

Replies

• jlowensby
    Options
    I sure wouldn't be correcting her errors any longer....

From this point on, turn a bout is fair play. In the workforce, you sometimes have to put frienship on the side burner...when it comes down to it they are not going to put their job or bonuses on the line for you....
  • losethechalupa
    losethechalupa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It sounds a bit petty to bring up past mistakes and also to start running in and pointing out hers now. Being a manager, I notice these types of things and it will only make you look bad in the end and discredit you. I think you should have a conversation with this person and let them know how what they did made you feel hurt and betrayed. She may have her own agenda for advancement or should could have had a duh moment and didnt think about the backlash for you in the process. You now know that your relationship is more professional than personal and should be treated as such in the future.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I would tell her you have been covering her mistakes for her and that you didn't realize that she would turn you in for yours. Since that is what she has set as protocol I would let her know from now on you will be turning in all of her mistakes. Ask her if she is ok with that or if maybe she would like to rethink her actions before turning you in next time. But I wouldn't take all her past errors and turn them in now, it will make you look bad for hiding them from your boss.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    LOL

I have a file of errors my cowroker has done in my office. I don't tell on her, but if I were put in this situation, I have some ammo to use.

And crap like THIS is why so many marriages don't work. Seriously, why can't most women forgive and forget? (I realize this was a coworker, but its the same type of thing)

Agreed, hence the reason that I do not seek friends while on the job!
    To the OP: TALK to her. Getting snarky doesn't help anything. If she stabs you again then its time to rethink the friendship.
  • dieseljay74
    Options
    Been there....sounds to me like someone is trying to shine at your expense.
    I would tell them about all the mistakes you catch and if that's the game they want to play everybody will lose.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    At this point in time, it has nothing to do with your friendship but with your money.

Absolutely. You don't let people screw with your livelihood, even friends or family members. Again, I'm not saying to seek revenge. I'm just saying to take the gloves off from this point forward.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    I'd wait for her in the parking lot @ 5:00 and beat that *kitten*. :laugh: :laugh:

The friendship will no longer exist. Back to co-workers.
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    I've had this happen and I took the high road and didn't tell on him. But when he left the office I rubbed my junk on his phone. I spent the next week calling him a ****face. since we're friends he thought i was just messing around.
  • amkelley
    Options
    I would definitely have to ask her why she didnt come to you first. As a friend, that would piss me off the most. I would also probably mention all of the mistakes you had fixed for her. I dont think she is a friend anymore either.
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    A) what would YOU do or have you done? B) regardless of what she did to me, I would bring it to her attention to give her a chance try to sort out, rather than rat her out.

My first instinct would be to give her a piece of my mind, :laugh: but I wouldn't. Going forward I would not correct the errors anymore. As it stands, the errors being corrected give the impression that she's at 100% on her quality...she'd be in for a rude awakening! :tongue:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    every time i have to fix or correct something of a co-workers, i make sure to tell them. quietly, in private, but so they know that i did it, that i'm keeping in between us, and that they should pay more attention to detail in the future.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't tell her or anyone else that you have been cleaning up her errors-just start making a regular note of it and notifying your supervisor just as she did from this point forward. She didn't hesitate to toss you under a rolling wheel.

But...don't harbor any ill will because that is the worst thing you could ever do. Forgive and move on, but change your process :)

I agree with this.

Also if the person followed the proper procedure then you can't be to mad, but you would think a friend would give a break *shrugs shoulders*
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I would tell her you have been covering her mistakes for her and that you didn't realize that she would turn you in for yours. Since that is what she has set as protocol I would let her know from now on you will be turning in all of her mistakes. Ask her if she is ok with that or if maybe she would like to rethink her actions before turning you in next time. But I wouldn't take all her past errors and turn them in now, it will make you look bad for hiding them from your boss.
    This is exactly what I'd do. Good luck!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen and I took the high road and didn't tell on him. But when he left the office I rubbed my junk on his phone. I spent the next week calling him a ****face. since we're friends he thought i was just messing around.

haha this is why youre awesome

Seriously... dont stoop to her level and tell on her. Dont keep a list of her errors. Dont harbor any ill feelings. This will do nothing but harm to your friendship and your coworker relationship. I know its money.... but at the end of the day its not more important than being able to go to work and have a decent environment to work in. If she does it again - that changes things. Just talk it out and move forward.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'd determine whether this friendship is worth more than the money I lost from my bonus. Whatever the answer to that is, I'd talk to her outside of work and ask her why she did that. I'd want to know the reasoning behind her decision to do what she did (safety? is she being evaluated? etc.). I'd let her know that I've corrected her in the past without telling her. I'd ask if in the future she would like for me to continue to do so. Further, I'd have her confirm as to whether or not she will be correcting my mistakes or turning them in each time. Flat out. I want problems solved, not a catty work experience. People know not to fck with me because I'm direct in this way. We all know what to expect from each other.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Well, correcting your friend's errors without telling her does nothing for your friend's ability to do the job correctly. You should have let her know all along. She followed correct procedure by letting the boss know about your errors. You have no case against your friend, no reason to be upset with her.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    CYA, people!
  • strawberryromper
    strawberryromper Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    LOL

I have a file of errors my cowroker has done in my office. I don't tell on her, but if I were put in this situation, I have some ammo to use.

And crap like THIS is why so many marriages don't work. Seriously, why can't most women forgive and forget? (I realize this was a coworker, but its the same type of thing)

To the OP: TALK to her. Getting snarky doesn't help anything. If she stabs you again then its time to rethink the friendship.

I think that you are misguided about why "so many marriages don't work," and regardless of how I feel about keeping track of coworker mistakes, it seems silly to me to decide that that is how "most women" behave.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Talk to her. Take the high road. Just because you have an excuse to be petty and vindictive doesn't mean you should be.
  • courtneymomofone
    Options
    Considering you're friendly in and out of work, I'd talk with her. Explain you're hurt and frustrated, explain that you've been doing your share of corrections without reporting them and your surprise when she reported you without a second thought. Give her the chance to apologize and try to open a discussion on how to mutually handle found errors in the future. It sucks she F-ed with your bonus $$ that way. I'm sorry.

And depending on the outcome of your discussion, I'd seriously consider scaling back the friendship to simply a friendly co-worker relationship and leave it at that.