J CREW - C25K - WEEK 1

Options

Replies

• Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hey Deb! I am still lurking.....I should have posted last night! I completed W4 D1 yesterday. Can't say I did it with ease....I was running against a strong head wind on a golf course. The last 5 minute jog about killed me......think I walked 30-40 sec of it! But still felt good!
    I say let's keep going.......

I am doing a 5k this Saturday, and I am extremely nervous. Obviously you can run/walk the thing...but I have tried to stay away from concrete because of the knees!! Just psyching myself up for it. Probably won't do D2 until then and give my legs a little rest.

How you doing?
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I am very pleased to hear that I am not the only one left. Wow- that will be tough on your legs doing the 5K at this stage- especially when you are not used to running on concrete. Most important thing is to take care of your knees- an injury of them would be awful.

I am actually going ok - and it staggers me to say so. I just finished day 2 of week four and have to say it went pretty well. I was exhausted at the end of it - but I think that is how the program works- pushing us to our limits and gradually building us up.
    Like you - I am very cautious with one of my knees in particular- as I injured it badly a few years ago, It is always sore after the run- but by the end of the following day , with plenty of stetches etc it seems ok to go.

Take care of yourself and good luck with your 5K run on the weekend. Hopefully we will get some others back here soon- in the mean time I am perusing other threads that have more regular input just in case this one remains so quiet.

Debbie
  • MochaBlues
    MochaBlues Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!! I'm still here :smile: I was just procrastinating a bit in actually starting my week 4 runs...However, I'm proud to report that Week 4, Day 1 Run was completed last night.

I too, was a bit apprehensive about the two 5 minute runs...and like you all said, it wasn't so bad...all that worrying for nothing.

You know I think I took the wrong approach in starting the program trying to progressively increase my speed-just didn't work for me, I think I found a pretty successful strategy "for me" which is just getting through it, I'm doing my walks at what is now a comfortable 3.0 and runs at 4.0 (for now) I'm able to comfortably get through it, and still feel like I'm getting a pretty good workout. I think for me I need to focus on increasing speed later on down the line when I'm more comfortable with just running!

Good Job everyone! Until next time...as usual....Cool Runnings!::glasses:
  • Fitwam
    Options
    Good job mochablues! I am in week 4 too....I will skip today and walk/light jog the trail for my first 5K which I am doing tomorrow. I know I will not run the entire thing...just plan on hooking up the HRM and using Saturday as another "training day" for C25K....and what is left over (I've been averaging distance at 2.1 miles with the workouts) I will run/walk to the end and see how I do!

The five min runs got me! It least the second one did! Hope I do better Saturday and being around other runners will motivate me!
  • debs6
    Options
    Mochablues- the way you are approaching it is exactly my approach - especially as the runs are lengthening, I have looked at the pace of the last few runs and they are way slower than what I was doing initially- I run outside so I don't get a read out of Ks per hour, but it clearly shows that I have slowed right down, I will have to see if I can work out the speeds - by working it back so I can give you a better indication. Like you I figure I can work on speed once I get comfortable running 20 - 25 continual minutes:happy:
  • debs6
    Options
    HA- I just worked it out and it seems that I am moving at almost the same pace. I am walking at 3.5miles per hour and running only a tiny bit faster at 4miles per hour. It seems unbelievable that my running is at such a similar pace - yet my heart rate rises much higher when I am running- and slows down nicely when I revert to a walk. Clearly I am going to have to work on pace as I become more comfortable with longer times
  • JamieRena2012
    JamieRena2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    HEY GUYS, I HAVE A NEW ACCOUNT. ABOUT TO ADD YOU GUYS!!! I STOPPED OF COURSE AT WEEK 3 BUT I'M READY TO START IT UP AGAIN
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm still here :) Just had to put off the running for a little bit because of some other plans that came up. Did d1 w4 yesterday outside. Used the c25k app & another app that tracks my speed, distance & cals. Pretty awsome! As always, running outside kicked my butt :)
    Way to keep it up, those who are sticking with it!!
  • inkdgirl
    Options
    Im back too! I stopped at Week 4 day 1 because my knee was really bothering me, started up a weight training plan to build up my legs and now Im going to start back at w4d1 but im going to try running outside instead.. I was running at 5.5 speed and im thinking maybe i'll be slower outside and maybe wont over do it! Good luck to everyone
  • debs6
    Options
    Inkdgirl- I am not sure what running speed they would suggest- I would just do what ever feels good for you and one wre you don't injure yourself. Remember that I am 55 so am very likely to be somewhat slower than those who are 20 or more years younger, I will work on increasing speed when I feel more comfortable with sustaining distances
  • debs6
    Options
    Oops forgot to say that I managed W4D3 last evening in the rain- so looking down the barrel of week 5- Yikes!!!!
  • MochaBlues
    Options
    Hello fellow C25ker's :wink:

Well I'm a little behind in my runs, I wanted to check back in, My plan is to complete week 4, day 2 today and then finish week 4 out with day 3 tomorrow.

If all goes as planned, I will hopefully be able to get things back on track next week!

WELCOME Back JSexy! Hopefully, everyone is doing well and enjoying their weekend!!
  • MochaBlues
    Options
    I"m back at it :wink: Yes..... I finished Week 4, Day 2 tonight, I'm definitely getting slower, but I'm getting through it. It was definitely good to hear that I wasn't the only one experiencing it! So thanks to everyone for the feedback, really appreciate it! Well depending on how tomorrow's run goes, Week 4, Day 3- I might consider repeating week 4, so it is comfortable. We'll see, it could be that I was a bit tired this evening.:yawn:

Anyhow, Cool Runnings!:glasses:
  • Fitwam
    Options
    I guess I should update about the 5K on Saturday! Although I wouldn't recommend doing it this way....I talked big about using it as another "traning day". YOu get so caught up in the moment and the adrenaline rush...Anyway, my friend and I started out jogging...and just kept going. Before I knew it...we had passed the 1 mile point (and granted now..I had only done w4 d2 in the C25k)....that first mile didn't even feel it...We probably ran about mile and 1/2..then walked about 2 minutes..picked it up again. We only walked twice....and finished the whole thing in under 33 minutes! Couldnt believe!~ No way I would have thought that possible 4 weeks ago! I was hoping to come in around 40!
    Anyway...not really sore...which is a good thing. Going to get back on the slow training now...
    It felt great and such an accomplishment! I can see how these 5K are addictive!
  • MochaBlues
    Options
    Wow Congrats on the awesome results Motivatedbride! I'm looking forward to hopefully being able to have a similar experience sooner than later:drinker: :drinker: :wink:
  • Fitwam
    Options
    Wow Congrats on the awesome results Motivatedbride! I'm looking forward to hopefully being able to have a similar experience sooner than later:drinker: :drinker: :wink:

Thanks mochablues!!! It was GREAT! And I did a lot of the toasting afterwards...and did not feel guilty one bit! ha ha
    :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • thembarete
    thembarete Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I'm new here, but I figured I'd join the conversation...

Just started my C25K journey today!

I have no idea how many calories were burned; how did you all figure that part out? Also, where are you guys getting that nifty signature weight loss tracker? I like it! :)
  • debs6
    Options
    Good for you motivatedbride - what a wonderful achievement - so early in you training as well. Mochablue- I think it is good to monitor how you are going - but don't rush to repeat a full week if there was only really one very difficult day. For all sorts of reasons - sometimes some days are so difficult - just out of the blue- and when we dust ourselves off then things rapidly improve. If you have struggled with each of the days - then it might be well worth repeating it - as I hear that week five is a difficult week,
  • debs6
    Options
    Sorry thembarete- I forgot to answer you questions. With regards to calories- there are two possible ways. I use my heart rate monitor is it gives me the best indication for me- but also if you have downloaded a c25k app on you phone- that will also give an estimate of calories used, I find that this estimate is higher than my HRM - so I use that to be on the safe side. You can find the tickers in the tool section of the page
  • bheimbrock
    bheimbrock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 1 last night
    MotivatedBride - you give me hope! My first 5K is the Egg Nog Jog on Dec 17. If I don't have to repeat a week (and I'm certain I will around week 5) then it will put me at finshing the program the week before :) Let's hope for the same good results you had!!!