This really TICKS ME OFF.

Options

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Awww sweetie. . Sorry your are upset. . .apparently someone needs an education on sizing. . But honestly there are much larger things to be upset about. . .

* I get upset that there are so many people that go hungry when there are people deciding which overly priced sports car or boat to buy. . .. . . oh did I say for their collection. . .

You are doing great on your journey just keep rockin on. . . . and yes thrift stores are the best when it comes to childrens clothes. . as well as adults. I love resale stores too. . . I have found brand new clothes there for next to nothing~
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    Plus size models are usually size 8.

models don't count. :grumble:
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I am almost 6 feet tall with broad shoulders and hips. Even at my ideal weight, I could never be a 10. I would literally have to be anorexic skinny to be a 10, and to be an 8 I am pretty sure I would have to have some pieces of my hip bones removed. It would be nice if the fashion industry were a little more realistic about the standards of the female body. This is what destroys a woman's body image and causes them to lose all hope of ever having a healthy body.

Yes. This is what makes me mad about it...especially your last line.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    A US size 10 is a UK size 14.
    We would consider this to be rather large in England..

I have known more than one person who is quite thin and wears a size 10.

But do you mean a UK size 10 or a US size 10.. This is where it gets very confusing!
    If your a UK 10 then u are nice and slim..
    But according to the fact that a UK 10 is a US 6. Then i would imagine that a UK 14 is a US 10.
    And a UK size 18 is our cut off point, i think you have to get clothes made if you are bigger than that.. Or mayeb its 20..
    Which is like a US 14, if im getting my calculations right..
    Its hard to picture how big someone is when they wear a foreign clothes size.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

if this is true, it's ridiculous!

Actually, this is true. I only started watching America's Next Top Model last year and they had a girl on the show that was a size 8 and considered to be plus size. I remember an episode where she was in tears because none of the clothes that they had brought on the set were her size. The poor thing had a gorgeous figure but she was utterly humiliated on national television because the fashion industry couldn't accomodate her!!
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options

But do you mean a UK size 10 or a US size 10.. This is where it gets very confusing!
    But according to the fact that a UK 10 is a US 6. Then i would imagine that a UK 14 is a US 10.
    And a UK size 18 is our cut off point, i think you have to get clothes made if you are bigger than that.. Or mayeb its 20..

I mean a US size 10.

This is what a US size 10 looks like:

http://www.mybodygallery.com/photos-9958-body-shape.htm#img

http://www.mybodygallery.com/search.html?height=any&weight=any&pant=10&shirt=any&zphoto=Large&new=1
  • jessbennett1986
    Options

It's true, but that's why they are called models. Many models are skin and bones and put theirselves through HELL to get to where they are. I feel as though many "plus" size models are absolutely gorgeous and look very healthy.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    My GOAL is a size 10 and I'd be delirious if I EVER got to an 8!
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I am almost 6 feet tall with broad shoulders and hips. Even at my ideal weight, I could never be a 10. I would literally have to be anorexic skinny to be a 10, and to be an 8 I am pretty sure I would have to have some pieces of my hip bones removed. It would be nice if the fashion industry were a little more realistic about the standards of the female body. This is what destroys a woman's body image and causes them to lose all hope of ever having a healthy body. My eight year old thinks she is fat because she has to where size 14 and 16 to get clothes that fit in the waist. She has the same body type as me and I am trying to explain to her that she is carrying that extra body mass now because she will need it when she hits her puberty growth spurts. Its difficult as a mother to combat society's warped sense of idealism.

I am only 5"2. I have nevery been a size 6. My smallest was a size 8 and because of my body shape I looked very trim. My friends and family even warned me that I should eat more so that I didn't look so skinny!
  • crikee15
    crikee15 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am only 5"2. I have nevery been a size 6. My smallest was a size 8 and because of my body shape I looked very trim. My friends and family even warned me that I should eat more so that I didn't look so skinny!

I'm 5'2.5", and I was a size 6/8 at 115 lbs in middle school (I hit puberty early and had curves). I thought I looked fine, but then was told by my modeling agency that I needed to lose weight because I was considered "overweight" at that point. Definitely a blow to my adolescent self-esteem.

P.S. 14 years later and I would give anything to be back at that size!!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    It does depend on your height and frame and all that, but for the average American build, yes...I do think a size 10 could be a plus size. I'm relatively tall (5'8) and when I was at a size 10, I was still a little chubby. I wouldn't say I was "obese" or anything like that, but I was certainly a little overweight . Idk, with over 60% percent of Americans falling into the overweight category, I think our idea of what is healthy/unhealthy is really skewed. I also think we are waaay to sensitive about our weight and how it's classified. It is what it is. A little extra chub around the midsection or on the thighs, regardless of weather or not it can be well hidden, is still a little extra chub. Can you be healthy with a little extra chub? Sure. Can you be comfortable wearing a little extra chub? Sure. Do people still find others with a little chub on them attractive? Yeah...I know people that do........but that doesn't mean that it's not still a little extra chub though.

If I may be blunt, why does this bother you so much? It's just a size. Most the time woman's sizes aren't even consistent anyway. Just be you and be the best you can be. Don't let yourself be defined by a size.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

It is true. You can pretty much tell just by looking at them that they are NOT anywhere near actually being plus-sized, but they also don't hide the fact. You'll find a few exceptions, but for the most part, to be a plus-sized (professional) model, you have to be around size 8 or smaller.

I guess compared to the "normal-sized" models, that's plus-sized.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thats just wrong!!!! Someone in a size 10 would not be over weight..maybe if you were 3inches high...............Size 16 and up as far as i am concerned is a plus size....thats why so many ppl feel bad about themselves and feel like they almost need to starve themselves to look right or fit in with our society....if your a healthy weight for your height, then good for you and feel good about yourself.....ppl dont need to be walking around pencil thin, and thats what ppl are made to feel.

I'm 5'3" and was a size 10 when I weighed in the 150s, which is most definitely overweight (though not plus-sized).
  • I've noticed alot of stuff like that this week when shopping at a Halloween store for a costume. I went to their "plus size" section and the costumes were sizes 12-14.....they had a 3X costume but the actual size was a 16-18....in what world is a size 16 a 3x?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a funny story. A friend of mine shopped at Lane Bryant for some unknown reason and the shirt she bought was too big so she returned it. She asked the clerk whey they didn't carry size 10. She said they glared at her and said that it was a plus-size store, so she told them, "Well, gosh, 10 is double digits! That's plus size!" I can only imagine how much they wanted to throttle her.
    Funny! My friend has a large chest. She complained of not being able to find her cup size. So I suggested she try Cacique, in Lane Bryant. She curled her lip and said she was not going to shop at the fat girls' store. I asked if she knew I shopped there.
  • jarirhea
    jarirhea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Most all plus size models that I've seen dont look overweight at all. I dont get it. Way to make plus size people feel even more plus size!!!
  • sandislim
    Options
    I have to reiterate that plus size models are a size 8 (UK12) and in the uk plus size starts at either size 10 (UK14) or 12 (UK16). Our body image is totally warped. I watched a documentary called thin - I thought all the girls looked fine and healthy and wished I looked like them, each one of them was receiving treatment for eating disorders as their body weight was dangerously low. I was shocked that I thought they looked normal. They were sick.

And on the other end of the scale I end up judging a size 8 (UK12) as fat (having this size modeling for the plus size range doesn't help the situation). What hope do we have of ever having a healthy body image?
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

A US size 10 is a UK size 12, according to this site (which I often use for conversions): http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm

That said, I wear a US 12 now, and I have worn a 10 before for quite some time. I do not consider myself plus-size right now, and when I was a 10 I was DEFINITELY not. An 8 is as low as I've ever been (though I did have a pair of size 6 pants that were a little tight!) and I for SURE was not one size below plus-size.

I say whoever is sorting at that Salvation Army Store isn't doing a very good job. We have a Goodwill store nearby that essentially does ZERO sorting. It's painful to shop there; I tried once and never went back. I've heard other Goodwill stores are better, though.

ETA that I don't claim to be the expert on US vs. UK sizing - but that's just what I found online from what I consider to be a reputable site. The funny thing is, I was thinking today about food logging and using US fluid ounces and UK fluid ounces. The bottles I use for my son are a UK brand and have both on them, and the two are definitely not the same!
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am about 5 lbs from my goal and I am rocking a size 10, they are a little lose but my hips aren't getting much smaller even when I get to goal so no I don't think that's a plus size.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options

It's true, but that's why they are called models. Many models are skin and bones and put theirselves through HELL to get to where they are. I feel as though many "plus" size models are absolutely gorgeous and look very healthy.

+1

Remember how Anna Nicole looked when she was just starting out? Everyone thought she was gorgeous.

ry%3D480