Not sure what's more annoying....

Options

Replies

• armymil
    armymil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    intechpc, Well said.

One other example is an airline situation. Though it never happened to me, I would hate to be next to a very large person (400+).
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    intechpc, Well said.

One other example is an airline situation. Though it never happened to me, I would hate to be next to a very large person (400+).

Yeah I had actually avoided going there because I believe the airlines won the court battle and are able to charge additional fees for people that take up more than one seat.
  • armymil
    Options
    Ehh, If I knew the seats were smaller, I'd feel bad and never fly on an airplane. My fiancee is scared to ride on a plane for the same reason, except she doesnt want to inconvience anyone. She would be fine in a seat, but it's just the perception.

It's about being inconsiderate of others if you decide to fly.
  • greatdaneaddict
    greatdaneaddict Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That's absurd. While they are at it, why not tell the employees that probably enjoy a beer or a glass of wine of a day of work. If they don't stop, they don't have a job. The whole high insurance rates is absurd. I don't pay much attention to all the insurace talk, cause I think its BS. But I heard about if someone is a smoker. So are they gonna raise rates for people that drink, eat? There;s always gonna be something that they say is a health "hazard". Heck even prescription medicines that doctors prescribed can cause medical health problems. (and yes I know smoking and drinking is not healthy, but that's an individual's choice to do what they want to do).

Our insurance rates at work are based on 5 different items/ biometrics. Your discount is based on how many of them you pass. I passed all 5 this year thankfully, and yes, one of them is based on if you are a non-smoker or not. We also have to pass BMI (or waist measurement), Blood Pressure, Cholesterol (HDL/LDL), Triglycerides and Glucose. You get covered regardless, it's just a difference in how much you pay for insurance. No one loses their job. Basically you are rewarded for trying to be healthy. If there is a medical reason for not being able to pass (diabetes for example), I think you have other options, but I don't know what they are since it doesn't affect me.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I know local hospitals have told all their employees that they have 2yrs to quit smoking, or they will not have a job.

I'd tell them where to stick it! They have no right telling you want you can or cannot do in your personal time. I'd just sue them for unfair dismissal!

Actually, depending on where you live they may in fact have the right to do just that. Smokers' rights vary by state here in the US, and employers may have the right to fire employees based on the fact that they smoke in the privacy of their homes.

This is another thing that makes me damn glad i dont live in the US! Over here it's as it should be imo. Can you do your job to the company expectations or beyond? Yes? Great. No? Fired. Simple. Personal life is just that. Personal. Bugger all to do with the company.
  • armymil
    Options
    This is another thing that makes me damn glad i dont live in the US! Over here it's as it should be imo. Can you do your job to the company expectations or beyond? Yes? Great. No? Fired. Simple. Personal life is just that. Personal. Bugger all to do with the company.

Sigh, another out of context view of the US. This does not show how the US handles all businesses. Don't you think for a moment if this were the case, that many people would be fired and tobacco companies banned from the US? I mean, I welcome your opinion of America, and that is fine. But, don't take one post and match it to your opinion. There is so much more to America!
  • HMonsterX
    Options

Sigh, another out of context view of the US. This does not show how the US handles all businesses. Don't you think for a moment if this were the case, that many people would be fired and tobacco companies banned from the US? I mean, I welcome your opinion of America, and that is fine. But, don't take one post and match it to your opinion. There is so much more to America!

I know, i had a good friend who lived in Lexington, and learned a lot about american way of life, and in most ways it was nothing unusual, not much different to here. But certain points really stick out in my mind, i.e. Gun laws, alcohol, gambling, etc. And ofc you have no NHS, which is something that most brits moan about, but at least we HAVE something! Just seeing things like this thread remind me to appreciate our NHS! Can you smoke walking down an open street in the US?
  • Shanahan09
    Options
    I agree. We are all responsible for what goes in our stomachs. Sad part is, my heart goes out to the children, they don't get a voice into what they are being fed by unhealhy parents. I have always thought the government should tax the hell out of junk food, so it IS more expensive than a healthy alternative. All I know is, it's an epidemic. It has to start at home. Yet, there are the whiners who consistantly want to be taken care of when they fall ill from unhealthy habits, and want to blame someone other than themselves. Hey, no one put a gun to MY head when I ate those 2 pieces of chocolate cake...it was my doing!! I take full credit for my expanded waist line, and will put the hard work into making it shrink!!!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I know, i had a good friend who lived in Lexington, and learned a lot about american way of life, and in most ways it was nothing unusual, not much different to here. But certain points really stick out in my mind, i.e. Gun laws, alcohol, gambling, etc. And ofc you have no NHS, which is something that most brits moan about, but at least we HAVE something! Just seeing things like this thread remind me to appreciate our NHS! Can you smoke walking down an open street in the US?

That kind of law would likely be local, not national. This sort of highlights the fact that the US is quite diverse in its attitudes on these topics. I can see some cities where this would be embraced happily (for the most part) and rejected soundly by others.
  • HMonsterX
    Options

That kind of law would likely be local, not national. This sort of highlights the fact that the US is quite diverse in its attitudes on these topics. I can see some cities where this would be embraced happily (for the most part) and rejected soundly by others.

I also remember telling her we have fruit machines in the bowling alley, £5 jackpot ones that even kids can play, and she was horrified!

Which states would happily embrace the smoking in the street (just for future reference :P )
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the comments here, but in my experience, healthy living is one part education and one part will power. I think it's really up to the individual which one they need more of. However, education is SEVERELY lacking and even the most will-powered person will not gain a healthy lifestyle without education.

For example, my dear mom (morbidly obese for as long as I can remember) was SHOCKED to hear that I eat 1350 calories a day to lose weight. When I told her, she kind of jumped back and said, "Amanda, isn't that WAY too many calories?!"

I didn't even know where to start. It's really saddening when you see a lack of nutritional education and obesity affecting your family, which I'm sure all of us have experienced. For what it's worth, I tried to explain BMR and activity level and all that to my mom, but she's the classic "eating 600 calories a day and not losing" example.

As for the person quoted in the article saying that if sheer will-power caused weight-loss, they'd have been rail thin 40 years ago, I call shenanigans. He/she is in that vast majority of people today constantly TALKING about weight loss, but never actually DOING anything to better themselves. I'd love to introduce him/her to some of the incredibly inspiring people I've met on MFP...
  • MikeSEA
    Options

I also remember telling her we have fruit machines in the bowling alley, £5 jackpot ones that even kids can play, and she was horrified!

Which states would happily embrace the smoking in the street (just for future reference :P )

Most of Texas comes to mind. Really anywhere that's highly conservative and/or popular with anarchistic libertarians (not to be confused with normal libertarians).
  • HMonsterX
    Options

Most of Texas comes to mind. Really anywhere that's highly conservative and/or popular with anarchistic libertarians (not to be confused with normal libertarians).

Isn't Texas highly religious though?

If i were coming to america, i smoke, and am not religious...where should i go? :)
  • msstillion79
    Options
    OK I had to stop reading some of these responses. I am a obsesed women I have had alot of medical problems that have caused me to gain alot of weight. So people that say that obsese and overweight people can control their weight and life style that is bull**** im sorry but not everyone can. I am now on here triing to get healthy thats it i dont want to be "skinny" by no means a size 14 or 16 would be great like i was before i got sick that will still make me overweight but i will be healthy I hate that people set and put down people cause of the way they look we as humans have no right we are not in that persons shoes to know how their life is goin or what is wrong with them and i think as adults we do this we are just teaching our childern that u have to be one way look one way its just like we are telling them that they are not good enough if they are a size bigger then 10 We have had a lot of kids teens killing their selves from bullying in this country and that is exactly what we are doing we are bullying teens and young adults telling them that they do not fit in This economy is hitting rock bottom and most americans are fighting to put food on the table and we have to ammit that the cheaper foods are the processed foods and quick things I think that if our government want to help americans beat the battle with the bulge they need to cut food prices of healthy foods and get the americans that are not working back to work. We can not decide what is right for anyone else but our selves so i feel like we need to mind our own bussiness and support our fellow americans stop judging Judging someone for their size is just like judging someone for the color of their skin ur just judging on the size of it Stop putting people down, We need to unite to make a difference in peoples lifes :grumble:
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Judging someone for their size is just like judging someone for the color of their skin

You can't really say they are the same. For the most part, obese people themselves have caused their condition by their own bad choices. People cant choose their skin colour.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have to say I agree to a certain extent. Humans are social animals and avoid doing things that are not socially acceptable. Some examples come to mind: Europeans drink alcohol regularly, however, being intoxicated is unacceptable and rarely seen in public (I'm told); in the olden days having a child out of wedlock was unacceptable and occurred rarely - in the last 40 years it has become acceptable and look what has happened to two generations of children; it was unacceptable for women to smoke - now it's acceptable and lung cancer and heart desease have reached the same levels as men.
  • MikeSEA
    Options

If i were coming to america, i smoke, and am not religious...where should i go? :)

Canada?
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options

That's a tough one. New York or San Fran are very tolerant as to religion, but stick their nose in about the smoking, garbage collection, energy use, etc. In certain areas smoking is still very OK, but the ones I can think of are fairly religious areas (I don't know why). I would say someplace like Montana. Not many people and they don't care what you do. :smile:
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Montana and Canada, perfect!

I didn't realise Canada was a state of America!

Wow, the things you learn on here! :drinker:
  • MikeSEA
    Options
    Montana and Canada, perfect!

I didn't realise Canada was a state of America!

Wow, the things you learn on here! :drinker:

Technically you just said "where in america." I could be wrong, but I believe many Canadians consider themselves Americans because they are in North America, just not citizens of the US :) Some Canadians also get mildly irritated when you refer to Canada as Northern Minnesota.