Poll for Racing Runners: Do You Carry Your Own

Options
Water or fluids at a race?

I never did so far, but I am running a half marathon this weekend and thinking of doing so. I am clumsy at drinking and running at the same time so spill most of my water at the water stations if I do not stop running and walk through them. Would it be OK if I had a hand-held bottle at the race with me?

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't unless you are willing to ditch it when it's empty.

Just bend the top over the cup to make it non spill
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you couldn't. I don't like to walk water stations either but I can run and drink at the same time. :)
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I use the 22oz Amphipod and it is awesome! I don't remember I have it and there has been no spilling for me. The pocket is also very nice. I highly suggest purchasing one.
  • aunienue
    Options
    I wear a fuel belt for longer runs which has 4 bottles. I ran my first half in May - I had electrolyte fluid in all four bottles and drank water at water stations. There was water every 3 kms. My strategy: I ran the first 6km straight then walked through every water station after that. I don't drink electrolyte if provided as you never know if it is mixed correctly and if you haven't tried it before you don't know how your body will react.

Good luck, Sue
  • djkshdfd
    Options
    I use the 22oz Amphipod and it is awesome! I don't remember I have it and there has been no spilling for me. The pocket is also very nice. I highly suggest purchasing one.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=amphipod

read the reviews on the handheld...the shape is great
  • Surfcitymom
    Options
    I bought a hiking belt at a sports store, here it's a BIG FIVE store, and it comes with a bottle. I have successfully completed five full and seven half marathons and I always carry my own water. I also suggest taking a gel one per hour, they are made by powerade, and I can't remember the other brand. I also carry my cell phone in my belt, and bandaid, and tissue. Even a five dollar bill is not a bad idea. They also have special belts with bottles made especially for runners. Best of Luck to you!
  • TorridCutie
    TorridCutie Posts: 84 Member
    Options

That is what I already have and I was thinking of using that one.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Nope (unless it is a trail run or ultra). I do usually start my marathons carrying a regular old 16 oz plastic water bottle (so I don't have to hassle with the first couple water stops) - then I can just ditch it along the way.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    my mom is a huge runner (i run but not that long and i dont like drinking during runs) and she has a sports water bottle that has a grip that goes around your hand... worth checking out :)

edit: she has the handheld one people above are talking about! she runs marathons a lot and loves it
  • JanineSturniolo
    JanineSturniolo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I run with the Ultimate Direction fast draw. I love it. I can hold two honey stingers for long runs, and it fits nicely in my hand. I used to run with a waist water bottle holder but my hips would ache. I love the ultimate direction...it has a soft drinking spout! Got mine at Altrec, which is super fast!!
  • richiedbond
    Options
    I use a nathan and anything over a 5K I take it with me. I find you cannot depend on where the water stations are compared to when you need the water...

http://www.nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/handhelds/quickdraw-plus
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    I was also contemplating the same thing (have my first half in two weeks). I absolutely hate drinking from those cups. At a race, I saw some people dump some water out right away, before drinking it. I was just going to race w/ my race number belt that has spots for gu, and a small pocket, but no water. If I bring my Fuel Belt, I can't attach the race bib, and I don't want to put holes in my tech shirt. Have fun w/ your race!
  • djkshdfd
    Options

That is what I already have and I was thinking of using that one.

Oh, then that's perfect. Nearly everyone at the race I did had a belt or handheld bottle.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I always carry my fuel belt with me ... but thats because I have to have my fluids at different intervals than what they offer during the race. I need to sip because otherwise I do not absorb. Plus I like knowing I can drink whenever I want to ... and for the most part avoid the water stations!
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    When I did my first marathon I had a belt that had 4 small water bottles. I quit using it a long time ago. If the water stations have paper cups (the smart ones do) then squeeze the cup to make a spout and drink from it. You're still going to spill a good bit but the idea is to just get some fluids. Grab 2 cups as you go by if you can.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    For a 5K I don't drink or eat.
    For a 10K I carry an handheld 10oz bottle (mostly for wetting mouth), but no food
    For a Half, I carry my Nathan waist belt with my 28oz bottle. It allows me to drink whenever and wherever I choose. I've been doing this for over a decade.
  • spurradic
    spurradic Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i usually follow the "if i havent trained with it, i dont use it" method for races...trying something new on race day is often not a good idea....that being said, if you think you can handle the water bottle the whole race or are willing to ditch it (as some others have mentioned) then do what feels best to you.

i usually walk through and get water from the water stations...untill recently, i had the same spilling problem you mentioned...someone finally told me to collapse the cup when i drank from it so it wouldnt spill and ive had much better luck since then...who knew? lol :)
  • techymum
    Options
    I've only run one race, so I'm certainly no expert! But here I go anyway, lol! I was told not to wear my water belt for the race. (Not cool? maybe?) And did I ever regret that. Approached the water table, took my water, and promptly inhaled it straight up my nose.

Threw the cup away, choked and basically ran the race with no fluids. Had I had my own, I would have been happily taking sips along the route.

It was suggested that perhaps I walk and drink, but I am preferring to keep running rather than starting up again. Not for speed, just for my body/mind to keep going.

From now on I will be wearing my fuel belt, cool or not :-)
  • rogerm213
    rogerm213 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you just bend the rim of the cup they hand you into a V it is much easier to drink from it while moving without ending up wearing half of the cups contents. I tried carrying my own once in a fuel belt and between the sloshing and the belt slipping I likely will not do it again in a race unless they do not have water stations.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I have the amphipod belt, and have been working with it on my training runs. I'll wear that with 2 water and 2 electrolyte bottles, my pocket with some hard candy, and my race # belt for my half. I'm training with the Galloway run/walk method, and he suggests walking at the water stations. You get a short break, and don't spill the water.