Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i carry a water bottle whenever i run. Id feel weird if i didnt
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I always carry my own water. I never find there are enough water stations, and it's invaluable if you swallow a fly!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    This past year, I got acclimated to being able to run a half marathon without any water stops. I hydrate during the week leading up to the race, then I take a Gatorade Prime pack at the start of the race & another at Mile 7. This worked for me. I am not giving advice, just participating in the Poll. :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Usually no. I did carry 2 of my usual 4 water bottles during my marathon as a (just in case deal), but that was mostly a waste. While I did drink from them, I didn't need them. Usually races have the water stations listed out so you can judge better.

Now I did do a trail race where they reccommended carrying your own water & refilling bottles at the check points was very much needed. I'm not sure how anyone could have gotten away with out it.
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am clumsy too!! and by the end of my first Half marathon I was spilling them all over the place!! I was soo thirsty and would be lucky to get one sip!! So YES!! I am carrying an 20oz amphipod this Sunday!!(we are racing the same day!!:happy: ) I have been using it during training and it is very comfortable to run with!!

Good LUCK!!!!!!!!!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I didn't for my half marathon, just walked through a few water stations (I do the V trick too)

for my full I plan on wearing my camelbak, I love that thing :)
  • sarahkbarnes
    Options
    I carry nothing but myself!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Yes, for anything over 6 I carry a Nathan handheld with Nuun.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I don't generally drink any water for runs that are shorter than 14 miles or so - the perks of living in a cooler climate. I knew they were going to have plenty of water stations for last weekend's marathon, so I didn't worry about it then either. But since you're running in a warmer area, it wouldn't hurt. I'm a total spaz at drinking or GUing on the run....something always goes up my nose.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I havent particpated in a race yet I have been doing my runs though carrying my own water bottle and also am gonna start using a camelpack and see how that works
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just got one of these:

http://www.simplehydration.com/

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I think the design is intriguing.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I don't for short races. But I am definitely taking my camelbak for the half I am doing in October.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I always carry my fuel belt with me ... but thats because I have to have my fluids at different intervals than what they offer during the race. I need to sip because otherwise I do not absorb. Plus I like knowing I can drink whenever I want to ... and for the most part avoid the water stations!

Ditto for me. I like to do Gu and/or Gatorade every 45 min. I dislike the congestion at the water stations. I jog right through.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do for longer races. My tri suit has 2 rear pockets that fit FuelBelt flasks PERFECTLY. I carry 1 or 2 with me depending on the race.

If you're worried about being clumsy, a handheld option would be more than fine. I know a few people who use/like them.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i always carry my own water bottle (20 ounce), and re-fill it to full at each water station. i can't imagine not bringing my own water.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Can I also just add that you will be a lot better off drinking the sports drinks over water in a long distance run. THe sports drink will replenish lost salts, sugars and keep you energised and your tank full. The water will quench your thirst but nothing else, infact it will help with the loss of salts as you will be washing everything away :-)
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I generally don't carry water for 10 K or shorter, but do like to wear my Nathan Fuel belt for 1/2s / marathons. I find it easier to drink from the bottles than from the cups, you can carry whatever sport drink you want instead of taking your chances on the race stuff, and you avoid all the congestion at the first few water stations in the large races.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I carry my own. This will sound silly to some, but with training as a water resources manager, I know that different water sources can effect different people in different ways. If you aren't used to the water in the area, it can cause you potty problems you weren't anticipating. If you are sensitive to something like that, you may want to consider your own.

My other reason I carry my own, I hate artificial flavorings and don't want those in my body, I can bring my own to control it better what I get.

And sometimes I want to fuel before or am not ready at the aid station.

Maybe I'm just a control freak :) LOL
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    For long runs (anythin over 10 miles) I love my camelbak and usually add nuun...it's nice to be able to avoid the congested water stations, drink whenever I want/need it. Since I am a slower runner, the water stations towards the end of longer races sometimes run out of stuff.
  • ivy2009
    Options
    I assume their will be adequate water/gatorade stations. Don't carry water. You have the luxury of someone giving it to you and it is so fun not to have to carry your own. You need to pull to the far side of the course when you take fluid and gradually slow to a walk so another runner does not run over you. And stay over to the far side as you walk. Then crush/fold the top of the cup into a V shape and drink. Walk while you drink. Get the liquid down and walk so you don't choke and you get it down. Who cares if you walk for 20 or 30 seconds? It will not impact your overall time because you will bring your heart down a little and be reenergized when you run again. I run a lot -- marathons too. That's what I do. Good luck :flowerforyou: