Are you %$@# kidding me?

Options
I have to go to a work lunch tomorrow.

My calorie budget for the day is 1620. I won't be able to work-out tomorrow, so my lunch calorie budget would normally be around 400. I took a look at the menu so I could plan. They even have a nutritional breakdown. But, ugh! Even with half portions, I'll be out of my ballpark.

Their nutrition is at: http://www.champps.com/portals/0/menu/pdf/WebsiteNutritionals0411.pdf . What I've got so far is a bowl of Turkey & Rice soup and a side Greek salad for a total of 564 calories.

Anyone who has a minute to look at this see any better options?

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd have something tasty and enjoy my work lunch, and not stress about it. I go over for special and important events, and I'm still losing weight.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    that's a crazy menu!

i would call them today and see if you can mix and match from the menu - tell them that you've got allergies if you're embarrased - and see if you can get the grilled shrimp w/ broccoli and a garden salad or the dinner veggie. you'll at least be full off of that.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    skip the soup and just eat the salad. eat a banana and apple and some cheese before you go to the lunch so you're not starving. a salad with water or plain tea would be appropriate for lunch. have fun and try not to stress :smile:
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Excellent work pre-planning and working to log what you can. But I agree...go and have something healthy but don't stress about it. Sometimes our days get in the way and we can only do our best.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Maybe just get the side greek salad and add a grilled chicken breast to it??
  • gerrod81
    Options
    Why not divide that extra 160 cals over the rest of the week? Cut 40 cals/day and you break even for the week.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Are you going to eat that salad dry? The Greek dressing is another 300+ calories.
  • samantha0176
    samantha0176 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy a nice meal and not worry about it for that one day...and try to make it up for the rest of the week..eat a bit less each day ...or have a light dinner tomorrow ...do not stress over it...or do an extra workout on the weekend..but do not go for a soup and salad! :o)
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    They have light portions of pasta for around 600 cals. That may be more than usual for you, but maybe you could go for a lighter evening meal instead?
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    What I do when faced with that, is I adjust my breakfast and dinner calories down, (or whichever meals I can control). It is hard, but worth it. Do you snack? If so cut those out also. Then you can enjoy your lunch more, and still feel like you did not blow it. You may still go over, but I make up those times other days when I do work out, I don't eat back all calories, just some.

The most important thing is that you enjoy yourself with as little stress as possible and still feel like you have some control. It can be done.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    SESAME SEARED Tuna
    would be high protein

SHRIMP w cLAM
    wINE SAucE oVER
    SQuAS

carbs protein veg :)

Good luck!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    that's a crazy menu!

i would call them today and see if you can mix and match from the menu - tell them that you've got allergies if you're embarrased - and see if you can get the grilled shrimp w/ broccoli and a garden salad or the dinner veggie. you'll at least be full off of that.

Good idea! I also suggest just planning it into your day. Eat a light breakfast (like oatmeal w/ berries - 200 cal), then a good lunch. I mean still try to stay healthy, but pick something that will leave you satisfied and that you will enjoy, could probably eat some really good stuff for 600-800 cal. Then have something like a salad for dinner w/ a chicken breast (should average about 250 cal) That way everything works out. That should leave you with room for snacks too unless you pick a 1400 calorie lunch. lol
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Holy ****. I almost wanna throw up a little.
    Well, I know you said 400, but how about skipping snacks? that'd bring up your allowance for lunch!
    My personal choice would be a soup or the spicy buffalo chicken and I'd only eat 1/2 and get veggies for a side.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    What you have looks like one of the only options. The only thing I saw that you could maybe do is the Turkey Amandine and do the dinner vegetables with it instead of the salad. That's a total of 466 calories.

This place is terrible! Everything is really high cal! I have to eat out for work tomorrow at Olive Garden, but at least they have some healthy options (going to get the Venetian Apricot Chicken and Zuppa Toscana soup for a total of 460 calories). At least that's a good bit of protein, though. I'd suggest eating a good, healthy snack before you go so you won't be so hungry when you get there. Otherwise, you're going to see everyone else eating all that high-cal food and be tempted. Maybe say a prayer for strength, too! :noway:
  • rcrea
    rcrea Posts: 80
    Options
    Almost any resturant will make accomodations for you if you ask. Ask for a grilled chicken breast and some steamed veggies and have the salad on the side.
  • thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Have a cheat day. It's good to keep the metabolism guessing :wink:
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Why not divide that extra 160 cals over the rest of the week? Cut 40 cals/day and you break even for the week.

Agree...Get whatever you like & if you must, make up for it the rest of the week through exercise & cutting back.
  • papa5280
    Options
    Are you going to eat that salad dry? The Greek dressing is another 300+ calories.

I missed that part. I assumed that the other salads were quoted before dressing, but assumed the Greek included the oil/vinegar.

OK, I'm sold, everyone...I'll have the Mile High Ice Cream Pie for 1,979 calories and call it a day. (kidding)
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    wow, took a quick look, not very many friendly options there....if you are good with those two things then yes they look to be about your best bet, or some combination of the salad and low cal soup. the only other suggestion is on some of the sandwiches, some of them say "does not include side" but other ones do not, so if some of the sandwiches are including a side like french fries, if you sub the fries for the broccoli or side salad you may significantly lower the calories, like if the sandwich says 820 calories but thats including the fries and mayo on it then the sandwich itself is probably a lot closer to only 400 calories. Since it is a work function I am not sure how much you want to "tear up your meal" but we frequently go to buffalo wild wings for work lunches and there is nothing friendly there either. i get the grilled chicken sandwich plain (it comes with bacon, cheese, and bbq sauce) and then on top of it i take the top bun off and eat the chicken breast, it seriously changes the calories from like 687 to like 324. Good luck!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Good for you for planning. I do the same thing before I go out, too. I even bring a piece of paper with my options written down so I remember what I looked up. But, like some people have said, don't stress out over it. Why not get something you like and only eat half? Would that be easier? And, if you did go a little over, you can exercise it off if it worries you that much. Most important, have fun. Good luck! :smile: