Are you %$@# kidding me?

Options

Replies

• crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    I have to go to a work lunch tomorrow.

My calorie budget for the day is 1620. I won't be able to work-out tomorrow, so my lunch calorie budget would normally be around 400. I took a look at the menu so I could plan. They even have a nutritional breakdown. But, ugh! Even with half portions, I'll be out of my ballpark.

Their nutrition is at: http://www.champps.com/portals/0/menu/pdf/WebsiteNutritionals0411.pdf . What I've got so far is a bowl of Turkey & Rice soup and a side Greek salad for a total of 564 calories.

Anyone who has a minute to look at this see any better options?

Workout a little extra today and the day after. Enjoy yourself, but dont go crazy.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    you should not be eating over 1000 calories for a single meal

why not?
  • JC1459
    JC1459 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    UGH is right! Based on the menu it looks rather daunting to stay with your program but it can be done.
    Ask that your food be prepared without added fats. Grilled chicken or tuna /no added butter or oil (watch the portion size), no added salt and do a regular side salad but limit your use of dressing. I would stay away from the ceasar salad. Eating out is all about choices.

Don't be afraid to ask the waiter what options you have. Many eating establishments are willing to be flexible.

If you prefer not to make a big deal of your dietary needs in front of co-workers or a prospective client call ahead and ask about the flexibility of the menu. Take control - dont let the situation or environment control you!

You can do this!! Let me know how you made out!
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I find that most of the time restaurants are very accommodating when it comes to dietary restrictions. I would ask if they could prepare a chicken breast or a piece of fish with very little or no oil and then order a side salad and a side of veggies with no butter or a side of fruit. Either that or order one of their salads with the dressing on the side (many of those calories must come the dressing) and no cheese or higher calorie items (bacon, hard boiled egg, etc.). Good luck and good job planning ahead!
  • papa5280
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas. Seriously, there were a lot of good ones. I decided I'm going to go with the Seared Tuna salad, which I love. I can do that one with whatever dressing they use, on the side. That's 800 calories...and if the portion is huge, I can put some aside for later. If not, c'est la vie. I'll go a bit over for the day...heck, I'll still be under 2,100 cals, which is maintenance.

Now...how to deal with the office birthday cake which is coming up in a few minutes....(actually...I'm able to take a taste of cake and be happy).
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Eat a great lunch.. and eat a protein and salad for dinner.. load up on veggies tonite..no worries...or just have a great lunch and hit it hard tomorrow..its just one day..as long as you don't make it a habit..you should be fine...its lunch..you should be able to burn it off later..:wink:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd have something tasty and enjoy my work lunch, and not stress about it. I go over for special and important events, and I'm still losing weight.

I'm with misskortney. Enjoy it!
    I've loved everything I've eaten at Champps. The Mile High Ice Cream Pie is easily shared with a few others. :wink:
  • bugsygal89
    bugsygal89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would say not to worry about it so much for this meal. Maybe get a salad (regular size) and ask for the dressing on the side or with no cheese.

Don't stress so much about the meal and just try to make the healthiest choice you can. If you go over by 100-200 calories, it seems like a lot BUT you can compensate by having lower caloric snacks that day or by cutting out the calories in your evening meal. One meal gone awry isn't what messes up a diet. What messes it up is when you allow it to happen more than once, you make it a habit, or when you give up completely :-)
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    you should not be eating over 1000 calories for a single meal

why not?

I personally divide my day into 6 meals. I dont not factor exercise into that.

At the end of the day I have a large excess of calories if I worked out a lot. My dinners are usually over 1000 because I try to eat 50% of my exercise calories.

I have lost 70lbs. I also ask why not?
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd have something tasty and enjoy my work lunch, and not stress about it. I go over for special and important events, and I'm still losing weight.

THIS! We all will have to face situations which will require us to make best choices of what is offered. One day will not be the end of your journey, but perhaps offer you the ability to incorporate these social events into your plan (even if you go over calories) and show that you can do it in a successful way.

ENJOY YOUR LUNCH
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    skip the soup and just eat the salad. eat a banana and apple and some cheese before you go to the lunch so you're not starving. a salad with water or plain tea would be appropriate for lunch. have fun and try not to stress :smile:

This is what I do and have done in the past. I usually go to socialize... not eat. lol
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Almost any resturant will make accomodations for you if you ask. Ask for a grilled chicken breast and some steamed veggies and have the salad on the side.
    This. When I lunch with work out I find most places will grill me a piece of chicken and steam some veggies.. I always ask for no oil and no butter. If you are a dipper like me, ask for bbq sauce and call it a day. Also, call ahead of time and ask if they make special accomodations.. if they do, great. If not, eat a heavier breakfast or snack before you go and order the side salad with a lemon wedge.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    UGH don't you hate this predicament!?!?! I have lost 40 and met my goal and still have to deal with this but now i'm allowed a little more calories on maintenance. My first suggestion is do NOT go crazy and put it off as "well it's just one day", that is not going to be maintainable if you put meals as just ONE bad one, it's a lifestyle change so let's fit this meal in. Start with lowering your breakfast cals and dinner cals. Have some egg whites at 17 cals a piece for breakfast that will hold you over and have like 3 of them with one piece of toast (90 calories). For dinner if you can maybe get a 6 inch turkey sandwhich from subway and put all the turkey and cheese (i need cheese) on half the roll and throw the other half out.. that cuts that down to like 200 cals. SO now after like 400 calories look at what you have left. If you don't mind modifying we definitely can work with this menu. Instead of the turkey at dinner, you can have that for lunch. Don't have the chips but also ask for PLAIN turkey sandwich. They won't mind and that should be filling. I always have been picky and they will always make that fancy sandwich plain and it will be tasty and very low in calories. You could get the tuscan turkey wrap and eat just half of it and the other half for dinner... no extras unless it's brocolli. You could get the plain turkey sandwich (no mayo or anything but a slice of cheese and lettuce) and bowl of chicken noodle (194 for the soup, 90 for the bread, about 80 for the cheese, turkey no more than 100) that's over 400 but about 500 and very filling. Sorry about the suggesting of turkey but plain turkey is my go to lean protein because SOOOO low in calories. I hope this helped. If you don't like that let me know and I'll see what else I can come up with. The women at work and I go through this EVERY time we have a lunch meeting at work which is very often!!! UGH I have go to meals at like every restaurant in the city that I work in haha Good luck and don't "cheat" I dont believe in cheating on a diet because a lifestyle sticks and "dieting" doesn't. I never deprive myself but I always make sure it fits in the daily budget. The option of cutting back calories throughout the week to make up for it is a good idea too though. You can do it!!
    SW 155.1
    GW and CW 115
    (5 foot so that's healthy)
  • krik84
    Options
    Just read in latest nutrition advice that lunch is supposed to be your biggest meal anyway
  • RoxanneShowell
    RoxanneShowell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would have a cheat day and enjoy it!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Have it be a "cheat" meal or change your breakfast and/or dinner to accomodate the extra calories.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

^^ This!

If this is a true "lifestyle change" then you have to ask yourself "Is freaking out any time I might go over calories for the day attainable for the rest of my life." For you the answer may be yes, but for many the answer would be NO! So relax, go, enjoy it and get back to your usual stuff the next day.
  • Wingmistress
    Options
    Don't stress over one lunch. Enjoy the atmosphere, be as sensible as you can, and don't worry. Even if you are slightly over one day, you can make up for the the next. These are lifestyle changes. Life happens. Enjoy and make up for it the next day!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    So eat less in other meals to allow for the extra calories. Better yet, do what I do every day, start intermittent fasting with a 16 hour fast starting at 8PM and don't start eating until lunch. Then you have to pack all your calories in that 8 hours and a big meal will fit in perfectly.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Life is short, work is hard. Enjoy your lunch in moderation without any stress. Tomorrow is a new day.