Exercise -- why, again?

Options
124»

Replies

• kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    "Dieting makes you look good in clothes. Exercise makes you look good naked"

Good 'nuff for me.

haha! Love this!!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    That's why I love this place. Not only good answers, but like...a hundred million of them :)

I know all this stuff, of course...I think it's just that I haven't seen the need for it yet.

I suppose a better question might be "do I need to hit the gym and bust my butt?" I do pilates at home, and try to take a nightly walk for 30-60 minutes. Is that going to keep my heart and lungs and muscles happy? Because while I'd love to be cut like a DC hero, I don't want it bad enough to be at the gym all the time. I'm okay with being in shape and healthy, but I don't need rippling muscles. So is my current regime of walking and eastern exercise fads sufficient for a healthy body?
    Stress the muscle enough and a little cardio is fine. Sedentary isn't.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I can give you list of the positives that have come from me exercising/lifting weights:

perkier boobs
    great posture
    nice biceps
    no "swinging" tricep fat
    no back fat
    off of depression medication
    great stress reliever
    more energy!!!!
  • gertieblueboots
    Options
    Okay! I like that a few people agree with me at least :D

It doesn't sound like much, but I burn like 1200 calories a week walking, and maybe another 500 with pilates (when I stick to it). That isn't going to lose me much weight, but all I care about really is being healthy and in shape. I just don't have the time or desire to spend my life at a gym. It kinda smells.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of workout DVD's that you can do at home and get a great burn. Also, some offer resistance training to work against the jiggly parts. LOL
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

It doesn't sound like much, but I burn like 1200 calories a week walking, and maybe another 500 with pilates (when I stick to it). That isn't going to lose me much weight, but all I care about really is being healthy and in shape. I just don't have the time or desire to spend my life at a gym. It kinda smells.

I love how you read 100 comments about how you will have TONS more benefits to exercising as well, and you cherry picked the 3 that agreed with you.

Ya cant fix stupid.

Whatever, to each their own. Its your life. When/if you get serious about being healthy, hopefully it won't be too late.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

If being in shape and being healthy is your goal, working out is in your best interests. You don't HAVE to go to a gym to do this. I have never belonged to a gym myself, but I have a treadmill at home as well as a pull up bar and some dumbbells, that's enough to do quite a bit.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I exercise because....

... my parents both died of heart and lung related problems, and I've never had good cardiovascular health. I had a rapid heart rate and would get winded easily. My dad was 79 and my mom was 73. I don't want my life to be more than half over already.

... when I exercise, I can eat a lot more. I never feel deprived and eat pretty much whatever I want in the quantities I want.

... running works better than Xanax.

... winning a medal really rocks. And now I want a trophy!

... being thin with muscles looks way better than being thin without muscles. I've been skinny before. This is the first time I've been healthy, strong and fit.
  • FitasBarbie
    FitasBarbie Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Good 'nuff for me.

WIN! ain't that reason enough to exercise?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    This isn't just about weight loss. Exercise makes you strong and healthy.

Well you know what Mean Gene. Eat your vitamins, say your prayers, and keep drinking that python powder!

Close. "Well you know SOMETHING Mean Gene" is the actual quote :P

/nitpick
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Okay, I stopped reading after the first page, so someone else may have said this already, but I find JOY in exercising. I didn't use to. The endorphins I get from running and moving more... just WOW. It really does depend on what your goals are, I suppose. But exercise is my therapy. I also know that I can't get the "feel good" feeling of accomplishing weight loss for the rest of my life, so exercise is another way I can set and accomplish goals, and THAT can be for the rest of my life.

Plus, I loved what Avalonis said. I'm stealing it for my profile. =)
  • jensway
    Options

Good 'nuff for me.

^^ Love this :heart:
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    YES, losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise....but just because you weigh less doesn't make you healthy. Just because you eat some of the right things and stay under your calories doesn't make you healthy.

I could eat a Big Mac everyday and lose weight.

Stay home and do workout DVD's or something. I don't own a gym member ship, and I workout (used to be 6 days a week), but now 4-5.