Confused, Exhausted and Discouraged:(

Options
13»

Replies

• Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Well, I have been on my weight loss journey for about 2 weeks now. I started working out for around 15 min. for three days a week. I assumed I would be burning a lot of calories and was shocked to find that a lot of the members here work out for 2 hours, 5 days a week! I'm begining to feel discouraged because I thought I was doing such a great job with working out, and now, im unsure as to what I should be doing! Before I started on MFP, I was frankly sedentary and extremely lazy, I attend school online so you can imagine exactly how active I actually was. Can anyone help me to get on the right path as far as excercising goes? how many calories should I burn a day?

don't give up. you had the right idea of starting with 15 min per day. I was given this advice when I did a weight loss study this year. Here is a progression scale they gave me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Lizzy_Sunflower/view/overcoming-exercise-barriers-138177 (and there is a lot more info to read there if you go back to the beginning)

Don't give up on yourself, and resist the temptation to compare yourself to others. They key is to avoid burnout. Do what you can. You won't regret it :drinker:
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Dont get discouraged! Everyone starts somewhere. I didnt start out exercising 2 hours a day. I started out with the 30 day Shred which is only about 25 minutes and I took breaks, lol. Also, dont compare yourself to others. If 15 minutes is all the time you have right now then be glad that it is 15 minutes more than you were doing before. You will work your way up to a longer workout if that is what you want to do...and the more you exercise the more you will want to exercise.

I agree I didn't start out exercising 2hrs a day and I still don't. You need to gradually add execise as you feel comfortable. I'm not saying it should be easy exercise, you want to push yourself, but keep in mind this is a marathon not a sprint. You need to give it time. I was working at home on my computer all day. I was sedentary too. I started out adding 20 min a day but I forced myself to do it every day for 45 days. Everyone thought I was crazy and I should take a day off here and there. I decided for me I wanted to do it everyday for that long because I had a sedentary life and I wanted to make exercise a habit. They say it takes 30 days to make or break a habit. I am a bit stubborn so I gave myself 45 days to make it a habit. It worked for me, but you need to decide what will work for you. Make a goal and stick to it, but don't make it one that will hurt you in the long run.
    Don't worry about the calories you burn at first. You do want to count them, but as you get more fit you will burn more, because you will have the energy and stamina to do more.

Best wishes to you,
    :flowerforyou:
  • SCR56
    SCR56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's not easy in the beginning. Just keep doing what you're doing. You are starting a new phase in your life. It will not be easy to make changes. Do try to compare yourself to any one else on this site. You can go from a sedentary life style to super athlete in a week or even a month. It is not sustainable. Just keep doing what you can, and add to it each week. If you work out 15 mins try to do 20 next week. Baby steps to a healthier you.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Simple: Consume high quality calories and get some moderate exercise (a brisk walk) 4-6 times a week for 30-45 mins each time. No need to kill yourself at the gym if you consume high quality foods.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Don’t get discouraged! Everyone is at different places on their weight-loss journey and everyone starts at a different place too. Best not to compare yourself to others, and just do what works for YOU! (I’m sure people before me have said this same thing, but I just don’t have time to read through all the responses right now, haha)

My mom, who has her masters in physical education, says you should increase your workouts in three stages. First, simply increase the frequency of the workout. Sounds like this is where you started. Just begin working out more often. Once your body gets used to that, increase the duration of each individual workout. Keep going the same number of times, just make each workout a little longer. Lastly, increase the intensity. If you’re on the treadmill, start going faster or add an incline; Raise the resistance on the elliptical; Just push yourself harder at each workout. When your body is finally used to all these changes, start the whole process over again!

The key to these steps is to take it slow. Don’t jump to the next stage until your body has a chance to get used to the last change. Pushing yourself too hard too quickly can cause injuries or make you give up from exhaustion, haha!

Hope this helps! Good luck!!!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Dont get discouraged! Everyone starts somewhere. I didnt start out exercising 2 hours a day. I started out with the 30 day Shred which is only about 25 minutes and I took breaks, lol. Also, dont compare yourself to others. If 15 minutes is all the time you have right now then be glad that it is 15 minutes more than you were doing before. You will work your way up to a longer workout if that is what you want to do...and the more you exercise the more you will want to exercise.

Same here! I do 25-30 minute workout videos a few times a week, and have recently (many months later) added jogging. We all have to start somewhere, so don't beat yourself up about not working out like a madman. I'm at my goal weight and haven't set foot in a gym in several years!