Disadvantages of being an Independent Woman

Options
2»

Replies

• getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Two words: Blind Dates
    People always pick something you do too much of.
    Being the "single" friend and being asked why you are still single
    Car repairs
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I've been alone and independent(ok i still live with my dad BUT i do the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and pay some bills, so im not a freeloader) for so long, that it is very very hard for me to find a man. I am not a co-dependent person, which most men love in a woman(they say they won't, but really they do) Also, i'm not damsel in distress...if i need something, I do it. I don't even like to talk to my boyfriend everyday....what could we possibly talk about every single freaking day? Let some time pass so i actually have things to talk about, not just say that my day was same ole same ole and then have dead air inbetween the akward attempts at conversation. Let me miss you....I don't want to see you everyday either, I have things i need to do. The only thing i need a man for is to sex me up and reassure me that i'm hot. Men don't like that I really don't need them for much, so they move on to the needier women. I also live in a small town.....so if i moved to a city i'm sure id find some men who found my independence attractive, but 'round these parts they all want a stay at home wife that is like Mrs. Cleaver, and thats just not me.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    sooo....a woman can't be independent and married?
    Not all three. if you do its called a man, and you need to get your undercarriage redone for that.
    Are you volunteering to inspect my undercarriage and give me a quote for the damage repair?

I'm all over that
  • kailey_watson
    kailey_watson Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    75% of your meals are left overs because every recipe seems to make enough food for four!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I've been alone and independent(ok i still live with my dad BUT i do the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and pay some bills, so im not a freeloader) for so long, that it is very very hard for me to find a man. I am not a co-dependent person, which most men love in a woman(they say they won't, but really they do) Also, i'm not damsel in distress...if i need something, I do it. I don't even like to talk to my boyfriend everyday....what could we possibly talk about every single freaking day? Let some time pass so i actually have things to talk about, not just say that my day was same ole same ole and then have dead air inbetween the akward attempts at conversation. Let me miss you....I don't want to see you everyday either, I have things i need to do. The only thing i need a man for is to sex me up and reassure me that i'm hot. Men don't like that I really don't need them for much, so they move on to the needier women. I also live in a small town.....so if i moved to a city i'm sure id find some men who found my independence attractive, but 'round these parts they all want a stay at home wife that is like Mrs. Cleaver, and thats just not me.

Keep on lookin' ... the man who loves independent women will come along and you'll be so happy he loves you when you need it, and stays the hell out of your way when you don't.
  • azQmaster
    azQmaster Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Not all three. if you do its called a man, and you need to get your undercarriage redone for that.
    Are you volunteering to inspect my undercarriage and give me a quote for the damage repair?

I did hit it pretty hard! I thought it was more rear end damage though??
  • shrimpboatcaptn13
    Options
    I find it hard to date someone. They are usually threatened by the fact I have lived alone and been single for over two years. And, I am threatened by their wanting to help me or if they seem too dependent. I pay all my bills, change all my light bulbs, and etc I am responsible for me and me alone LOL. That is enough :) I find when I do have company for the night... I toss and turn because I know I have someone in my king bed. Not because I am excited, because I am so used to it just being my bed. I am going to have an interesting time someday when I date or get a room mate :D
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Now Carol, I love you like a fat kid loves brownies and ice cream with caramel and nuts topping... but NO!!! If a man says he is married and independent, you would be all in his grill. One of the definition for Independent is "not depending on others for aid or support", and a marriage is just that.

I also wish my college kids can be independent, but no such luck here...leeches.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Apparently you can't even have a roomate.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to date someone. They are usually threatened by the fact I have lived alone and been single for over two years. And, I am threatened by their wanting to help me or if they seem too dependent. I pay all my bills, change all my light bulbs, and etc I am responsible for me and me alone LOL. That is enough :) I find when I do have company for the night... I toss and turn because I know I have someone in my king bed. Not because I am excited, because I am so used to it just being my bed. I am going to have an interesting time someday when I date or get a room mate :D

I'd been single for over 20 years when I met my husband and had raised 2 daughters by myself for much of that time. He wasn't intimidated by me (though his whole family was impressed by jar-opening trick) and I didn't have trouble letting him into my my life or home. When it's right, it's just right.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to date someone. They are usually threatened by the fact I have lived alone and been single for over two years. And, I am threatened by their wanting to help me or if they seem too dependent. I pay all my bills, change all my light bulbs, and etc I am responsible for me and me alone LOL. That is enough :) I find when I do have company for the night... I toss and turn because I know I have someone in my king bed. Not because I am excited, because I am so used to it just being my bed.

SAME! I equally love and hate slumber parties. I also have a hard time trying to figure out how someone fits into my niche or my routines living alone.

I also HATE staying at the guy's house, especially if he has roommates. I am just over that stage in life and have been for 3 years.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'll have to get back to you on the disadvantages. I can't think of any.
  • catlady100
    Options
    You're on bug patrol 24/7
  • KENNY1957
    KENNY1957 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    INDEPENDENT........Hmmmmm does that men after 3 marriages I'm automatically independent??? Don't think so my mother taught me to cook, sew, clean,iron and do all the s...t a man looks for in a women....Well other than sex but I can have that from my girlfriend when ever SHE WANTS it..... lol.......Hmmmm guess were not so independent in that respect...he he....I do know one thing when I need to hit the crapper....It's always OPEN.......Thats my story and I'm stickin to it!!!!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The only down side I've found thus far is having to do it ALL all the time. That means I don't have time for everything. Social time is most important, so if I had to mow I might not get the vacuuming done... If I have to clean the entire house, I might not get to rearranging the "containers" cabinet. If I paint scrape and paint the outside of my house (like I am right now), I am not getting the floors mopped and the clothes put away every day...

But, the UPside to even all of that - I'm the only one who lives there so there is NO ONE to criticize me that I didn't get it all done.

I've lived alone for so long now I'm unsure I could live with someone else. I have a man that I've been with for about 10 years and we are on-again off-again, but mostly friends... I'm good with that for now.

I like not having to ask someone if it's okay that I go buy the new Kindle... (but I'm the only one who has to pay too!)

Pros and cons. (always greener)