eating healthy is expensive

Options
124»

Replies

• cherryObebe
    Options
    P.S. The OP asked for help, the size of their family is a part of the facts, let's not criticize them. Can't we just stick to helping someone who, like us, wants to eat healthier. THAT is what this is about.

^^^ SO VALID ^^^

Although I share certain beliefs on assistance and families being proactive in their decisions, that is NOT the topic of this post. There is a time and a place for everything. This is not the place to vent your frustrations regarding the politics of someone's past decisions based on today's political structure.

That being said, I would highly recommend a warehouse membership like Costco or BJs. Although there is a fee to be a member, you will save far more than the fee on your grocery bill. Definitely make a meal plan and a grocery list before you go shopping. Stick to your list!

The advice on finding CSAs in your area is also a very good tip. Here is a link to an article about the 'best' CSAs in your area:

http://www.phillymag.com/health/articles/eat_local_best_csa_programs032210/?show_ad

RE warehouse clubs, you need to be VERY careful about those places....I teach people to either share a membership or don't get one at all (When I teach my coupon classes) - unless you're doing it for the gas prices b/c you drive a lot I find the extra cash you spend on things you *think* are cheaper in bulk outweighs the benefits by far. Things like snacks, cereals, toilet paper, etc. you can always find cheaper couponing places that don't charge a yearly membership. Frozen foods you can sometimes get a good deal on at the bulk store, but if you wait for the right sale/coupon at a normal grocery store the normal grocery store will always win on price in the end. If you are both working with 9 kids...then yes...join a bulk store...but if you need inspiration about busy women who coupon you can visit http://jane4girls.com/ - Single woman with 4 kids feeding them on $800 a year - and not all junk! So a married coupole with 7 kids can pull this off if both working by dividing responsibilities as well.

I can totally blow your theory and teachings out of the water. No offense. I have a TON of family that do the coupon thing. More power to you and to them. I have watched a cousin get an entire basket of 'groceries' for $5! The items that MOST coupons are for are not healthy in the least! When saving money, staying away from prepackaged foods saves a great deal. CSA's for fresh foods can also save a great deal!

I personally purchase my gasoline and any grocery items that I can utilize in bulk from my local Costco. They have a membership that gives you a rebate on all of your purchases for the year. Now, my household includes a family of TWO people (and 5 dogs) with one of those people living out of the country part of the time. Our rebate not only covers the cost of our membership BUT we still get money back on top of that for TWO people.

You should really look into this sort of thing since you teach classes on it! Also, Costco puts out a coupon book every couple of weeks for their stores and you use coupons ON TOP OF the bulk savings. I think you are selling your students short!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    P.S. The OP asked for help, the size of their family is a part of the facts, let's not criticize them. Can't we just stick to helping someone who, like us, wants to eat healthier. THAT is what this is about.

^^^ SO VALID ^^^

Although I share certain beliefs on assistance and families being proactive in their decisions, that is NOT the topic of this post. There is a time and a place for everything. This is not the place to vent your frustrations regarding the politics of someone's past decisions based on today's political structure.

That being said, I would highly recommend a warehouse membership like Costco or BJs. Although there is a fee to be a member, you will save far more than the fee on your grocery bill. Definitely make a meal plan and a grocery list before you go shopping. Stick to your list!

The advice on finding CSAs in your area is also a very good tip. Here is a link to an article about the 'best' CSAs in your area:

http://www.phillymag.com/health/articles/eat_local_best_csa_programs032210/?show_ad

RE warehouse clubs, you need to be VERY careful about those places....I teach people to either share a membership or don't get one at all (When I teach my coupon classes) - unless you're doing it for the gas prices b/c you drive a lot I find the extra cash you spend on things you *think* are cheaper in bulk outweighs the benefits by far. Things like snacks, cereals, toilet paper, etc. you can always find cheaper couponing places that don't charge a yearly membership. Frozen foods you can sometimes get a good deal on at the bulk store, but if you wait for the right sale/coupon at a normal grocery store the normal grocery store will always win on price in the end. If you are both working with 9 kids...then yes...join a bulk store...but if you need inspiration about busy women who coupon you can visit http://jane4girls.com/ - Single woman with 4 kids feeding them on $800 a year - and not all junk! So a married coupole with 7 kids can pull this off if both working by dividing responsibilities as well.

I can totally blow your theory and teachings out of the water. No offense. I have a TON of family that do the coupon thing. More power to you and to them. I have watched a cousin get an entire basket of 'groceries' for $5! The items that MOST coupons are for are not healthy in the least! When saving money, staying away from prepackaged foods saves a great deal. CSA's for fresh foods can also save a great deal!

I personally purchase my gasoline and any grocery items that I can utilize in bulk from my local Costco. They have a membership that gives you a rebate on all of your purchases for the year. Now, my household includes a family of TWO people (and 5 dogs) with one of those people living out of the country part of the time. Our rebate not only covers the cost of our membership BUT we still get money back on top of that for TWO people.

You should really look into this sort of thing since you teach classes on it! Also, Costco puts out a coupon book every couple of weeks for their stores and you use coupons ON TOP OF the bulk savings. I think you are selling your students short!

Absolutely NOT on the coupons are for 'unhealthy items'. Today I loaded an ecoupon to my Fry's card that was for $2.00 of a rotisserie chicken (Don't eat the skin), and $8.99 of free olive bar items. Last week I got Luna bars for .08 (SIX OF THEM). I've gotten organic Miur Glenn FREE, organic Lunderburg Rice FREE, Pacific Natural's soup for .50, I'm a vegetarian I've gotten my 'meatless' products for 75% most of the time including Amy's, Yves, and Na Soya!, Boulder Organic chips, Kettle organic chips, Metromint water for .25 (My favorite), Mom's best naturals cereal boxes for the kids .50 to FREE, envirokid boxes of organic cereal bars for kids almost free, boxes of vans organic whole grain waffles for .50-1.00, alexia sweet potato fries FREE. .50 mission artisan whole wheat quinoa wraps, FREE land o lakes cheese, FREE lara bar, FREE pure protein bars, I could go ON AND ON AND ON about all of the healthy things I've gotten for free - Should I mention 2.00 off meat or 1.00 off of avocados coupons? Or perhaps my shamrock farms sour cream for .50? (Light of course) Maybe I should mention .06 a roll toilet paper - and the fact that I wont even buy toothpaste anymore unless I "Make money" on it to cover the tax????

And our topic of conversation for today, vegetables....I used to have so many FREE frozen vegetables my second fridge filled up and I gave them away. With the economy now being crap .25-.50 a bag for NAMED BRAND is a more reasonable expectation.

When was the last time you got anything free at a boxed store?

And you mentioned the only reason I think a membership 'can' be worth it and that's for the gas if you A) live in a high gas priced area and B) there are no other gas savings alternatives. When I lived in OH I got free TANKS of gas all the time shopping at Giant Eagle.

I 'did' shop at the bulk stores when I was working - we spent about $600-$800 a month for a family of 3. Now we spend $200/month (with the dog) and we NEVER run out of anything. And if you have a teanager too, you KNOW how much they can eat! We have 2 dinners!!!!!

As for selling my students short I A) Never charge for lessons and B) Have saved other families thousands in the 4 years I've been teaching and have really never had a complaint and in fact great feedback / appreciation
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    PS If she wants 9 kids and can do it w/o assistance, more power to her!

Although I agree with the sentiment of the person you guys are yelling at ("I'm taxed as if it's a punishment") and I do agree with the sentiment that our government is acting in ways it was not meant for when it shows that it believes through its use of taxation money that it has a social responsibility to 'take care of' and 'enable' millions of people into poverty and dependence.....I don't agree that the OP is retarded or has a 'social responsibility' NOT to pursue happiness in as many and any ways as she sees fit so long as it doesn't infringe upon the rights of others. She's not on assistance and came here looking for ways to learn to DO FOR HERSELF even more, not for a hand out but for ideas of how to work more health into her strained budget! Seriously back off.

It's not like she's whining b/c she doesn't get assistance and can't eat healthy b/c the govt wont let her....geaush

Where's the like button on here?

Thanks, I saw it :)
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    And for the rest of you, I apprecicate all of your idea's, we do shop at Aldi or Food Basics but I don't do cupons. That will absolutely change right away. I love the steamer packs too as do all of the kids and frozen veggies are a staple I was just worried about using them as opposed to fresh. I will admit I have no idea what to do with beans, but I happen to have 2 bags that were given to me by a neighbor so I will look into using them and let you know how it goes. Thank you all again, its really helpful to have so many ideas .

Dry beans are very easy. Most need to be soaked for a bit, but all make great soup with just the basics of stock, carrots, celery, onion and a little spice. We had lima bean soup every week when I was a kid. My mom is a champ at stretching everything. She just used a left over ham bone to make stock (frozen from the 2 or 3 times a year she could afford ham), celeray, onion, salt and pepper. We use canned chicken stock in my house, but the ham makes it better.