Water With Meals

Options
Is it only good to drink water before and after meals(30mins) and not with the meal itself...I've heard that drinking it with the meal will cause slush in your stomach which is not good?????

Replies

• YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Where the hell do you people hear this trollop?
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no idea if that is true or not. Im phobic about drinking while I eat so I guess I will never have that problem.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    this sounds like a weird diet myth
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I was told my doctor that drinking water during the meal will make it digest faster, and you want to digest as slow as possible. but who knows really.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Is it only good to drink water before and after meals(30mins) and not with the meal itself...I've heard that drinking it with the meal will cause slush in your stomach which is not good?????

I'm not sure about the "slush" thing, but it is NOT good to drink anything while eating because liquids deplete the enzymes that are necessary to break down the food. This can and is the cause of many digestive problems...
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Your stomach is full of acid...how are things NOT a slush in there already? Drink up. :drinker:
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Are you confusing water with antifreeze?
  • Jennilvmp
    Options

WOW!!!
    She was just asking a simple question! Don't see the reason why your comment has to be so rude! So much for positive responses! We are suppost to be here supporting eachother. Your response is far from that!
  • killagb
    Options

I'm not sure about the "slush" thing, but it is NOT good to drink anything while eating because liquids deplete the enzymes that are necessary to break down the food. This can and is the cause of many digestive problems...

Not accurate. From Livestrong.com:

It is not necessary to drink water in order to digest food, but it may be useful. Michael Picco, MD from the Mayo Clinic points out that drinking water while you eat can help break down food. Water during a meal is not essential to food digestion, however. It does help flush waste from the intestines and may help relieve constipation. A better approach to improving digestion would be to cut back on fatty foods and increase the number of fruits and vegetables you eat.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/429906-does-drinking-water-affect-food-digestion/#ixzz1ZH86whTQ
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I was told my doctor that drinking water during the meal will make it digest faster, and you want to digest as slow as possible. but who knows really.

Guess this shows just how much or how little doctors actually know about certain areas and nutrition. Many varying OPINIONS! I choose NOT to drink while eating because it makes sense to Me that enzymes would be diluted...DO what makes sense to you and the INFORMATION YOU TRUST!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I heard that if you eat bread and fruit during the same meal you'll get cancer.

I've also heard that cold water causes cancer.
  • killagb
    Options

WOW!!!
    She was just asking a simple question! Don't see the reason why your comment has to be so rude! So much for positive responses! We are suppost to be here supporting eachother. Your response is far from that!

And now you've continued the trend by responding negatively in kind.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

WOW!!!

*sigh* sadly....^^this.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options

My Doc said this same thing to me. It may cause a person to feel heavy and lethargic especially if they eat heavy foods like meat that take a lot to digest and then dilute the acids in the stomach with other liquids.
    I try no to drink water while eating, but if I do I make sure it isn't chilled. apparently cold water gives more of a negative effect than Luke warm.
    I hope this helps!
  • Meg2012
    Meg2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Guess this shows just how much or how little doctors actually know about certain areas and nutrition.

Most MDs only receive a semester in nutrition as an elective class. When you find a Doc that has nutrition as a passion, you've got a real gem!
  • killagb
    Options

My Doc said this same thing to me. It may cause a person to feel heavy and lethargic especially if they eat heavy foods like meat that take a lot to digest and then dilute the acids in the stomach with other liquids.
    I try no to drink water while eating, but if I do I make sure it isn't chilled. apparently cold water gives more of a negative effect than Luke warm.
    I hope this helps!

I'll just paste this whole article from Livestrong.com:

'
    Overview
    Different schools of thought exist as to whether or not drinking while you eat is beneficial or harmful to the digestive process. Drinking water before and after you eat clearly aids the digestive process, and according to MayoClinic.com, drinking it while you eat can help, as well. What else you might drink and when you drink it can put a slightly different spin on things. Alcohol and acidic beverages may have a different effect.

Effect on Saliva
    The process of digestion starts in your mouth. Chemicals in saliva help soften your food while you're chewing it, preparing it for passage to your stomach. It's possible that drinking while you eat might dilute your saliva, but not to such an extent that it would make a difference to your overall digestive process, provided you stick with water. Water helps your salivary glands make more saliva. Conversely, alcohol or any anything acidic, even foods, will dry up the saliva your glands have already produced.

Effect on the Stomach
    Once your food reaches your stomach, if there is already liquid there, it will help dissolve your food. Ottawa West Nutrition (OWN) indicates that it's best to drink before you eat, however, because if you do it during your meal, it may dilute your stomach's gastric juices. These juices are instrumental in killing any bacteria that might be contained in the food and, with the help of the contraction of your stomach's muscles, they pulverize your food into a substance your stomach can easily push into the small intestine.

Effect on the Liver
    Your liver also requires ample water to do its job properly. Once microscopic food particles pass from your intestines into your bloodstream, your blood will carry these nutrients to your liver. Your liver distributes them to the rest of your body. It decides what to keep for later use and what to pass on for immediate energy, and adequate water is necessary for this process. But the process depends more on adequate hydration overall, not just the water or liquids you give your body while you're eating.

Tips
    Although OWN indicates that you should drink half an hour before you eat, MayoClinic.com indicates that drinking water while you eat will not interfere with your stomach's gastric juices. Not giving your body enough liquids is far harder on your digestion than drinking during a meal. Drinking while you eat can also help "push down" food that you haven't chewed adequately, but eating that fast and gulping liquid to remedy the problem can result in burping, an uncomfortable buildup of air in your digestive tract or even choking. If you drink with your meal, it's always best to do it slowly and chew thoroughly.'
  • concealedpearl
    Options

WOW!!!

LOOL...I guess she's frustrated maybe...I looked up Trollop in the dictionary and this is what it said:
    A woman perceived as sexually disreputable or promiscuous....is it also British for bull?
  • Jennilvmp
    Options

WOW!!!

I am not being negative at all. I was just simply pointing out that a responce like that is realy not necasary! We all need support from eachother and I just don't see how your comment was supportive!
  • killagb
    Options

WOW!!!

I am not being negative at all. I was just simply pointing out that a responce like that is realy not necasary! We all need support from eachother and I just don't see how your comment was supportive!

Take the time to read a bit closer, it's not my comment. I actually provided this thread with some useful knowledge...you've provided...what?
  • concealedpearl
    Options
    They said that since water is alkaline and the stomach is acidic when digesting food that mixing alkaline with acidic causes toxins in the body....I wasn't sure if it was valid that is why I asked it on here...

I get thirsty when I'm eating so I like to drink my water at the same time.