Water With Meals

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that and have been drinking with my meals for 50 years with no problems. Never deficient on nutrients and no digestive problems at all.
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Take the time to read a bit closer, it's not my comment. I actually provided this thread with some useful knowledge...you've provided...what?

yup! :drinker:
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I drink LOTS of water while eating. I've never had issues with it.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

I'm not sure about the "slush" thing, but it is NOT good to drink anything while eating because liquids deplete the enzymes that are necessary to break down the food. This can and is the cause of many digestive problems...
    My Doc said this same thing to me. It may cause a person to feel heavy and lethargic especially if they eat heavy foods like meat that take a lot to digest and then dilute the acids in the stomach with other liquids.
    I try no to drink water while eating, but if I do I make sure it isn't chilled. apparently cold water gives more of a negative effect than Luke warm.
    I hope this helps!

I'll just paste this whole article from Livestrong.com:

'
    Overview
    Different schools of thought exist as to whether or not drinking while you eat is beneficial or harmful to the digestive process. Drinking water before and after you eat clearly aids the digestive process, and according to MayoClinic.com, drinking it while you eat can help, as well. What else you might drink and when you drink it can put a slightly different spin on things. Alcohol and acidic beverages may have a different effect.

Effect on Saliva
    The process of digestion starts in your mouth. Chemicals in saliva help soften your food while you're chewing it, preparing it for passage to your stomach. It's possible that drinking while you eat might dilute your saliva, but not to such an extent that it would make a difference to your overall digestive process, provided you stick with water. Water helps your salivary glands make more saliva. Conversely, alcohol or any anything acidic, even foods, will dry up the saliva your glands have already produced.

Effect on the Stomach
    Once your food reaches your stomach, if there is already liquid there, it will help dissolve your food. Ottawa West Nutrition (OWN) indicates that it's best to drink before you eat, however, because if you do it during your meal, it may dilute your stomach's gastric juices. These juices are instrumental in killing any bacteria that might be contained in the food and, with the help of the contraction of your stomach's muscles, they pulverize your food into a substance your stomach can easily push into the small intestine.

Effect on the Liver
    Your liver also requires ample water to do its job properly. Once microscopic food particles pass from your intestines into your bloodstream, your blood will carry these nutrients to your liver. Your liver distributes them to the rest of your body. It decides what to keep for later use and what to pass on for immediate energy, and adequate water is necessary for this process. But the process depends more on adequate hydration overall, not just the water or liquids you give your body while you're eating.

Tips
    Although OWN indicates that you should drink half an hour before you eat, MayoClinic.com indicates that drinking water while you eat will not interfere with your stomach's gastric juices. Not giving your body enough liquids is far harder on your digestion than drinking during a meal. Drinking while you eat can also help "push down" food that you haven't chewed adequately, but eating that fast and gulping liquid to remedy the problem can result in burping, an uncomfortable buildup of air in your digestive tract or even choking. If you drink with your meal, it's always best to do it slowly and chew thoroughly.'

The KEY here is set out from the Beginning: DIFFERENT SCHOOLS OF THOUGHT...Follow what makes sense to YOU and the Research/Info YOU Trust. Just that Simple!

ALSO, just because one CHOOSES NOT to drink while eating or for a period of time after, does NOT mean that they are not amply hydrated. That few ounces one may or may not drink while eating is not the bases for getting fully hydrated to support the organs of the body, so it is VERY Important to READ with UNDERSTANDING!
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I often drink water while eating and sometimes before or after as well. Never had an issue, if anything it helps me a little bit.
  • Jennilvmp
    Options
    Where the hell do you people hear this trollop?

WOW!!!
    She was just asking a simple question! Don't see the reason why your comment has to be so rude! So much for positive responses! We are suppost to be here supporting eachother. Your response is far from that!

And now you've continued the trend by responding negatively in kind.

I am not being negative at all. I was just simply pointing out that a responce like that is realy not necasary! We all need support from eachother and I just don't see how your comment was supportive!

Take the time to read a bit closer, it's not my comment. I actually provided this thread with some useful knowledge...you've provided...what?

!st off I wasn't even talking to you so I am not sure why u r thinking that. I actualy like what u wrote. I was commenting on somelses qoute if you would look a bit closer.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

WOW!!!
    She was just asking a simple question! Don't see the reason why your comment has to be so rude! So much for positive responses! We are suppost to be here supporting eachother. Your response is far from that!

I am not being negative at all. I was just simply pointing out that a responce like that is realy not necasary! We all need support from eachother and I just don't see how your comment was supportive!

!st off I wasn't even talking to you so I am not sure why u r thinking that. I actualy like what u wrote. I was commenting on somelses qoute if you would look a bit closer.

You quoted MY post. That indicates you're responding to me, HTH, FWIW.
  • Jennilvmp
    Options

WOW!!!

You quoted MY post. That indicates you're responding to me, HTH, FWIW.

Sir I quoted the post that was sent from YukonJoy Quote says "Where the hell do you people hear this trollp" so if u r 2 different pple then yes I guess I was talking to u about THAT post!!!! And I still feal that it sounds rude!
  • efriling
    efriling Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Geez....can't we all just get along? :noway:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Sir I quoted the post that was sent from YukonJoy Quote says "Where the hell do you people hear this trollp" so if u r 2 different pple then yes I guess I was talking to u about THAT post!!!! And I still feal that it sounds rude!

You quoted my post...you THINK you quoted her, but you didn't(otherwise it wouldn't have my response above your 'reply'). Aaaaand here we are. Bless your heart. :flowerforyou:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

In the UK trollop also means garbage, rubbish, ridiculous stuff. I must admit, i often think this too reading some of the threads on here! The post was refering to the information, not a personal attack!

Still, amusing to see how it escalates!

popcorn.gif
    Are you confusing water with antifreeze?

Ok, that genuinely made me :laugh: !

If i don't have a drink with my meal, my mouth becomes dry, and eating becomes very unpleasant. As I've said before..

When i eat, i want a drink

When i drink, i want to eat.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I have been told that is the advice they give bariatric patients because they can't handle having both food and the drink in their stomachs or they will be hurting.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    When you water plants, what happens?
    They grow.

I rest my case.
  • barkuspet
    Options
    I agree!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    When you water plants, what happens?

Mine seem to drown.

I think I'm doing it wrong...
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Actually, according to what my (former) doctor told me, you should drink a light beer before a meal. This will put the cholesterol in suspension so that it will not get absorbed into the blood stream. Also, you should drink another beer immediately after eating to aid your kidneys in flushing the cholesterol from your body.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Actually, according to what my (former) doctor told me, you should drink a light beer before a meal. This will put the cholesterol in suspension so that it will not get absorbed into the blood stream. Also, you should drink another beer immediately after eating to aid your kidneys in flushing the cholesterol from your body.

I like your (former) doctor.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    save for later... :)
  • JustEllieK
    JustEllieK Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This might help you:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/digestion/AN01776

It is a really short article. Takes maybe 3 minutes.
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    drink water whenever you like