Open Diary vs Closed Diary

Options
I wonder why some come here for support and advice but hide their diaries.....They want you to say how well they did but with a closed diary you really don't lknow - I think opening my diary made all the difference for me I am not perfect nor do I eat perfect but I do try to balance my cals and at times I ask for advice from fellow MFPer's and I look at my friend diaries as well to get ideas..... like changing my meal names to times of the day I eat. How do you feel about it?

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I agree that having an open diary helps folks give you advice...and helps you be accountable.

However, to answer your question, I suspect some folks don't know that (or how) they can make their diary public.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Primarly because the default settings are closed -- and most people have no clue their diary isn't open.

My Home > Settings > Diary Settings
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Mine is public to my friends. I really don't care to have non-friends snooping through it.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Most folks don't realize how to make their diaries public... But then there are the few that ask for help, dont understand what mistakes they are making in their diet, etc, and then refuse to let anyone actually look and see. Those folks got issues lol
  • texancountess
    Options
    Some of us have it open to friends only because we've received unwanted comments from people we don't know that were unkind, unpleasant, and sometimes all around nasty. Some keep them closed privately due to such a reason.
  • pjdamico
    pjdamico Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm open and invite anyone and everyone to look on in. I do respect those that don't want to open their diary. Many reasons for this I'm sure. I think overall it is a matter of respect for others choices. When they want to share, they will. Those of us that prefer to be open, great!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    mine is always open, and i like looking at other peoples diary's they give me ideas !
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    My diary is private. Like a diary. I don't need anyone else to hold me accountable and I don't care if people comment on what I have eaten.

If I need advice, I will open it, but at the moment, I do not. It's a personal preference.
  • sangelic
    Options
    I started with a closed diary because I was somewhat self conscious of everyone seeing what I was eating. I finally got over it and am really glad I did as I find I knowingly make better choices because of the fact that people will be seeing what I eat everyday! I definitely need to be held accountable or I won't succeed so it works for me.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Mine is open for anyone too see, I am here to be accountable and help others and give support and hold them accoutable too. We need to have the mind set to help each other!! Healthy Journey!! :wink:
  • chefchazz
    Options
    I'm open and invite anyone and everyone to look on in. I do respect those that don't want to open their diary. Many reasons for this I'm sure. I think overall it is a matter of respect for others choices. When they want to share, they will. Those of us that prefer to be open, great!

well said and................GO BEARS!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Mine was open for a really long time, but it closed now.

I know what I'm doing and when something that I eat is/isn't healthy, I don't need other people to tell me those things.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Not everyone comes on here for advice! I don't have mine public because what I put in my mouth is my own damn business and I don't need anyone chiming in with their unwarranted opinions.
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Mine is open for anyone too see, I am here to be accountable and help others and give support and hold them accoutable too. We need to have the mind set to help each other!! Healthy Journey!! :wink:
    I so agree with you .....
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    My whole profile is private,. I don`t add `friends`

I don`t ask for advice privately. If I ask for advice then I give all the info and it is public but nothing to do with my food / exercise diary.

Some may disagree, but I feel it is not facebook, and I do not want to add a bunch of strangers to be my `friend`
  • misty_meadows15
    Options
    Well mine is open and all, but It's true people do judge you on what you eat. All the time people are telling me that I don't eat enough, or that I should do this or that. But I know what I'm doing. I'm probably going to be closing my diary soon.. lol. But It's your decision to make.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Do people really go and look at everyone's diary? I never do, unless someone request help or say they're not losing...
  • katrina1025
    katrina1025 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm a closed diary person. I've open and closed it again and again. Right now it's currently closed. I don't always make the best food choices and I'll admit that. When my diary is closed I tend to log EVERYTHING and plug along with my poor choices from time to time. When my diary is open I tend to omit my indiscretions. Which I know is no good for me. That is why mine is closed.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Asyouseefit.. good point! How boring to sit around and look at random people's food diaries. AND... if some random person wanted to look at mine, why on earth would I care?
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Agreed!