What do you have for breakfast?

Options
13»

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to get bored of my oatmeal and egg whites. Just wondering what you've all been whipping up for breakfast as I need to get a little more creative! :)

I am boring. I have either eggs and meat (bacon, sausage, or ham steak). And coffee of course.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of chocolate soy milk on days that I work. On the weekends I workout in the morning so I usually have a whole grain pancake or waffle with soy or peanut butter and a little maple syrup.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I make these Breakfast Muffins nearly every Sunday evening, for an "on the go" breakfast during the week - I warm up one or two and eat 'em on the drive to work! You could also warm up a whole wheat tortilla with some cheese and one of these muffins for an egg burrito.

You can pretty much make the "filling" however you want - this is how I do it....

To make 12 "muffins", this is what I saute' together in a large frying pan sprayed with no-stick spray:

1 medium Chopped onion - I use purple onion
    1 large Red Bell Pepper
    1/4 - 1/2 cup cooked broccoli
    1/4 - 1/2 cup cooked spinach
    Morningstar Farms Original Sausage Patties - 4 patties

I make sure everything is chopped up before I throw it in the pan.

As that's all cooking together I beat together the following:

4 whole eggs
    1 1/2 cups "All Whites" - carton egg whites, this is equivelant to 8 whole eggs
    10-12 tablespoons (approximated) skim milk.
    (I'm watching my egg yolk consumption, but if it's not an issue for you then you could certainly just use 12 whole eggs instead).

Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Put equal spoonfulls of the "filling" mixture from the frying pan into each section of the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle with a very small amount of shredded cheese - I prefer Parmesan. Using a ladle, pour egg mixture over the filling/cheese.

I bake at 375 degrees for 12-18 minutes until eggs are cooked through & tops a bit brown, they rise a little like mini souffle's but fall a bit after they come out of the oven. If needed I put the broiler on for the last 1-2 minutes to give 'em a nice browned top.

Once cooled these lift out easily with a small spatula. Because I only used 4 whole eggs for 12 "muffins", there's only 1/3 of an egg yolk in each one, but plenty of egg whites for the protein. This is a great alternative if you are keeping your egg yolk consumption down or watching cholesterol.

You can change the "filling" to suit your tastes - I use whatever leftover cooked veggies I have on hand... I've used green beans, bok choy, whatever's in my fridge that needs to be used!

I put the above recipe into my MFP database - they came out to 98 calories per muffin!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • Jenh714
    Options
    I usually have half of a reduced fat peanut butter/sugar free jelly sandwich on healthy life whole wheat bread (35 cal per slice), a laughing cow wedge & a cup of coffee with hershey's chocolate syrup lite mixed in.
  • ahill7
    Options
    Have you tried the Whole wheat Eggo waffles? They are really good. I usually have 2 of the blueberry and very light syrup. I don't mind eating wafflles without syrup so this doesn't bother me. I also add a coulpe pieces of turkey bacon to that.
  • jassygirlx
    Options
    1/2 cup All Bran Cereal - with 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds and skim milk - sometimes i'll add a chocolate protein powder to the bowl, to give it a chocolate milk taste in the cereal.
  • nadiatiara
    nadiatiara Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    usually.. well almost everyday i eat chicken porridge for breakfast. It's very filling and make me less hungry for the rest of the day. Sometimes i eat sandwich for breakfast.
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    i have a Hot Milo
    either a fruit salad
    some toast or cereal
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This morning I had 1 and 1/2 frozen bananas but I let them thaw out over the coffee pot before I ate them.
  • jaala2123
    Options
    I do two eggs with pepper and dill and a whole wheat tortilla ...total calories is about 185 and super filling
  • priyasath
    Options
    im not a breakfast person, but i try to eat it. i usually eat kashi original cereal w/o milk. it has lots of fiber and has as much protein as an egg
  • jamezyjamez
    Options
    I'm boring....

1 scrambled egg
    1 scrambled egg white
    2 slices center cut bacon (crispy)
    1/2 cup refried black beans

If feeling crazy, will add some avocado/guacamole and maybe throw in a dab of salsa.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Nothing tbh.

Coffee and a ciggie, and I'm good to go for the next 3-4 hours :D
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have to start my day with cereal. I've cut back on the sugary (yummy) cereals. So usually stick with plain Cheerios or Special K with red berries. And a few pieces of fruit. I like sweet breakfasts over savory like eggs etc.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Coffee
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is oatmeal - old fashioned oats with almond milk and berries or a chopped apple or now that it's fall 1/3 cup of pureed pumpkin. Yum! Alternatively, I'll make smoothies. Almond milk, fruit, flax, blackstrap molasses for iron and calcium. My favorite smoothie is a banana chai - frozen banana slices with almond milk, flax, a chai spice mix I keep in my tea cupboard, and a bit of blackstrap molasses.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    this morning: cereal (i was in a hurry!)

yesterday: pb and j sandwich and a pear

i also will do bagel thins with a bit of pb, nutella and mashed banana...that's my fave.

yogurt and granola with berries and raisins

oatmeal
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Breakfast burritos

Microwave scramble--some egg beaters, taco sauce, turkey sausage crumbles and black beans, microwave for a minute or so = delicious

Oatmeal

Kashi frozen waffles (or homemade waffles if I've made a batch recently and frozen them)

Yogurt

Protein bar if I have to

Turkey sausage patty on an english muffin

I love breakfast and usually get stuck on one thing for a while, then change it up.

Good luck!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast or I'll get a migraine. But I don't want to take a lot of time making it.

I make my own hot chocolate from scratch: I have a huge 20 oz mug. I put in two heaping teaspoons of dry Hershey cocoa, put in some hot water from the hot water tap on our bottled water dispenser, and stir until smooth. Then I add skim milk and heat it in the microwave 2 to 2 1/2 minutes depending on whether I have time to sit and sip it hot or have to gulp it warm and run right out the door. I used to add a little splenda, but honestly, I've come to prefer it unsweetened. I don't get tired of things as easily if they aren't sweet, so I can have this every day.

It gets me a nice percentage of my protein for the day with very few calories -- the dry cocoa is basically all protein, too. And after drinnking 20 oz, I'm full. Very few dishes to clean up, too.
  • IronSiren
    Options
    Whole eggs and fruit, tofu stirfry or just fruit. I'm not a breakfast person, so sometimes none.