500+ calorie workouts

Options
I exercise almost everyday but I cannot figure out how all you MFPers are burning 500 or more calories in a single workout!!

I would love it if you posted what you do!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions---keep sweating!!:drinker:

Replies

• sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I exercise almost everyday but I cannot figure out how all you MFPers are burning 500 or more calories in a single workout!!

I would love it if you posted what you do!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions---keep sweating!!:drinker:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I don't... I walk 60 minutes per day in 4 segments (to work, two breaks, and from work). That's 200 cal.
    Later I run 30 minutes at 7 mph (360 cal).

Break it up into segments that don't feel like a "workout," and you'll find it much easier to burn 500 cal in a day.
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have done that with running and with Spin class
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    running or a combo of shorter run and shred dvd but usually just a longer run will do it for me!
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I can burn 500 cal by walking/running combo for an hour on the treadmill . Yesterday I did the Gilad Cuts & Curves resistance workout and burned 500 calories with a 45 minute workout.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Running or cycling for at least one hour in hills ( more like 600+)
  • hntgwdw
    hntgwdw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Spinning - those classes with stationary bikes - can burn 400-500 calories in 45 minutes to an hour. It's quite a workout and is low impact
  • terraw
    terraw Posts: 40
    Options
    I do tae bo for 45 min to an hour and at my weight it burns almost 700 calories
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I do interval high impact step/weight class, 60 minute class I burned 750 calories =D
    It's a serious workout though with a 12 inch step and 8-10 pound free weights, but it kicks a**
    spinning is like 500...but I can't stand it,...hurts my back, and I find it just plain boring :grumble:
  • MissGorgeous
    MissGorgeous Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    last night at the gym some girl was on the elliptical for 45mins and burned 700
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it's all about the heart rate, if you can get your heart rate up to about 70 to 75% max and keep it there for 45 minutes, you'll pass 500 calories. That's harder for some then for others.
    for instance,
    I averaged 76% today on my run, for 35 minutes (not including warm up and cool down) and that came out to about 400 calories exactly. that comes out to about 690 calories per hour for me. Not bad. I have to work out during my lunch hour (which is really a lunch 45 minutes since I have to show and change as well). But that works out perfectly as I really only need that much time.
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I can do the elliptical for 30 min. and burn 400 calories. I would go for more, but your only allowed to stay on the machines for 30 minutes. So I'll go do weights, then come back and do another 15-30 minutes on the bike or back on the elliptical.
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA... I burn anywhere from 600 to 700 calories in an hour... and the best part is I don't even realize I'm doing it b/c it's so MUCH FUN! :drinker:

I also do a step class where I get around 500 in an hour... :bigsmile:

for a while I was having a hard time keeping my calorie burn that high (because as I got more fit and lost weight, you don't burn as many calories doing the same activity)...

that's where my HRM has been awesome b/c I can tell if I'm keeping my heart rate up... just have to work harder now to keep it there.. that, and my recovery (how fast my heart rate returns to normal once I slow it down) is much faster, which also decreases your calorie burn...
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    does everyone wear a HRM or are they getting rough estimates for actual calories burned????

I have a Polar HRM and you would be suprised with how much your actually burning sometimes more or less than what the machines and the website says.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    last night at the gym some girl was on the elliptical for 45mins and burned 700

Don't always belive the machines :( I knew after getting my HR Monitor that the real amt burned would be less than the TruStride elliptical machine I like was telling me, but sadly the actual calories burned was less than 1/2 what the machine told me. 375 in 30 mins vs the 700+ the machine said. (Like I said, I knew 700 was not accurate, but I was hoping it would not be THAT off!) On the plus side, I learned that i burned about 50 more calories in Yoga than I thought I did...
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you gotta use an HRM, the machines are wildly inaccurate. One can be right on, and the next one over, same make, same model, can be way off. HRM's use similar formulas, but use more metrics, and because it's measureing you all the time, from beginning to end, and generally it's more accurate at recording your heart beats.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i work out at curves and average between 375-475 burned in 30 minutes, depending on how long it had been since my last workout! i went for 6 weeks straight last oct-nov and was burning 450+ each time.
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Snow shoeing for 60 minutes burns around 480 believe it or not and is fun and gets you some fresh air. Rollar blading is similar calorie wise.
  • wizabugga
    wizabugga Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use the treadclimber at the gym and I love it! It gives you a nice hard workout in half the time a treadmill would and it's pretty easy on the joints (and burns lots and lots of calories). :flowerforyou:
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I try to run for 5 miles each time I run (which I try to make most days), because that way I burn at least 500 calories.

Or I run for 3 miles (about 300 calories) and do weights for about half an hour.

I would say that for most things, you have to work out at pretty high intensity for 45 minutes to an hour to burn 500 calories.

I used to do a high energy aerobics class for an hour that would burn at least 600 calories.

You could also alternate sprinting with jogging, because the faster you go, the more calories you burn. Short bursts inspire me more than long drawn-out slow ticking up of the calories.