• Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Soccer or biking for an hour (500+)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Thast is one heck of a workout....

I walk/hike some trails near my house and there are hills and stuff...if I do 90 minutes it is only 470 cals and that is a tough little hike...I suggest three 200 cal workouts if you can do that...keeps your motors and calorie burners hot

Dave
  • greeneggsam
    Options
    Also keep in mind that your current weight plays a role in how many calories you burn. I'm 5'2" and 110 lbs., so I really have to haul *kitten* to hit 500 calories in an hour, and I generally don't have more than an hour at a shot for a workout. Here's a link that gives you some idea of the variations of calories burned according to weight: http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist.htm
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I can do the elliptical for 30 min. and burn 400 calories. I would go for more, but your only allowed to stay on the machines for 30 minutes. So I'll go do weights, then come back and do another 15-30 minutes on the bike or back on the elliptical.

i DONT WANT TO BUM YOU OUT...but I have heard several places that Ellipticals really give you a false reading as in telling you more cals thatn is real...burning 400 cals in 30 minutes is real tough to do anyway and the ellipticals are about the easiest machinew which is why there is a 30 minute limit...people like em

maybe its not true, b ut I have heaard it from more than one person

Dave
  • FoxyLoxy
    FoxyLoxy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do tae-bo. The 45 minute workouts really kick my but and according to caloriesperhour.com I burn around 700 calories. All you do is go to activity calculator and plug in your weight, the activity you did and the amount of time you spent doing it.
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I play a 'game' on the elliptical to try to bun 10 calories or more a mintue- in the beginning its tough, but I like to challenge myself as much as possible to try to beat my previous times.
  • Emmalouise23
    Options
    I do a 50-60 min high intensity aerobic session 5 times a week which is approx 505 calories a session. xx
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    The more cardio workouts in the P90x set easily have me burning over 500 calories in an hour.
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I do zumba....and even with weights I only burn 320 calories in an hour, maybe it's my size, i dunno...but no one in our class seems to burn over 400....=[, i'm 5'3 and 110 pounds, and those calories don't like to burn off me :angry:
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam (or Turbo Kick as it's called in the gyms) really gets my calorie burn up. Usually 700+ calories per hour.

I also burn a lot with some of the cardio workouts from P90X.

I've yet to wear my HRM with my ChaLEAN workouts, but I have a feeling I'm burning a lot w/those as well.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I do zumba....and even with weights I only burn 320 calories in an hour, maybe it's my size, i dunno...but no one in our class seems to burn over 400....=[, i'm 5'3 and 110 pounds, and those calories don't like to burn off me :angry:

That's right. The less you weigh, the longer you need to work to burn the same number of calories as a larger person. It only gets harder to lose weight as you get smaller.
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Options
    Almost any cardio Cathe Friedrich video (Kick Punch Crunch, Body max) in 60 minutes you'll burn 500 calories. Tae Bo for 60 minutes you'll burn 450 to 500 calories. I would reccomend kickboxing to hit the 500 cal mark. But, you have to check your form and give it your all...
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh very much so the only way I've found of burning 500+ calories in an hour is by running at a 12 min/mi pace. If I can go over an hour, well that's easy, an hour of body step and then an hour of spinning and I'm up to about 900 calories.
  • ColtsFan1912
    ColtsFan1912 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    as a mother of a young boy. . i rarely have time to do it all at one time. . .i take him for walks, then do some on my own when he is napping (if i can get him to lay down). I rarely burn 500 caloires in one workout. (unless you count breastfeeding :laugh: which burns 500 for one hour but its the extra cals i need for him so don't really count hehe)
  • lpadilla75
    Options

I've done Zumba before, it could be the instructor but I find its just a warm up class. I'm not a fan it. Thank goodness there are so many different types of workouts so everyone has an opportunity to find their favorite.
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    ON ONE OF MY GOOD DAYS I CAN BURN THAT ON ONE MACHINE IN 40 MINS! IVE BEEN DOING ALOT OF CARDIO LATELY AND UP THE RESISTANCE.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    spin class--647 cals in one hour according to my HRM. When you leave you know you burned a few!
  • amycakes812
    Options
    I just started working out at the gym again and my HRM is invaluable in letting me know how many calories I am burning. An hour kick class burned 770 calories this morning! I also use Turbo Jam at home and burn a little over 700 with Cardio Party. Tomorrow I am doing my first Zumba class. Can't wait!
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I just started working out at the gym again and my HRM is invaluable in letting me know how many calories I am burning. An hour kick class burned 770 calories this morning! I also use Turbo Jam at home and burn a little over 700 with Cardio Party. Tomorrow I am doing my first Zumba class. Can't wait!

Oh, good luck with ZUMBA.. I LOVE IT.. I took a class last night and my HRM read 628 after an hour..

AWESOME!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    An hour long walk/run around a local lake.
    I burned just over 500.

I usually burn 250 in my 30 min session on the treadmill or elliptical and that is if I'm BUMPING. (I use an HRM.)

It's all about keeping your heart rate UP.