McDonald's

Options

Replies

• Laura32412
    Options
    It's odd to me. I just realised thinking about it now that I've only been there once in the last 5 months. Not because i dont like it, its not healthy, etc etc, but because of the time of day i eat! I could happily have my "usual" of 9 nuggets, large fries, medium diet coke, but that would mean i couldn't have my usual dinner at midnight! In the old days I'd have both without batting an eyelid, but now that thought doesnt even enter my head!

I was trying to remember the last time I went to McDonalds too and since I can't remember it must've been a long time. I side with everyone recommending the grilled chicken options, but I know if I really wanted a cheeseburger I'd go ahead and get one. No one says you have to get fries with it!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    However when McDonalds runs out of the usual mix for shakes (and icecream) there is a special mix we use with this special flour and water stuff.

Wait. When you run out of the necessary ingredients you just start adding whatever? I've been defending McDonald's against the rabid haters but if this is true it has me very concerned.

Special flour and water stuff? Do you know how a milkshake is supposed to be made? Here's a hint, you don't use flour.

So is the nutritional information provided only accurate for when you haven't run out of the necessary ingredients and just started grabbing whatever was handy?

Yeah I know how a milkshake is supposed to be made.
    I also know how they are out to steal your money.
    I worked there for 5 years and although we would only run out of shake mix once every few months or so, if there was no other way to do it this is what we would do.
  • Happyhappy352
    Options
    I eat at mc Donalds all the time at lunch and I get the salad's. My favorit is the Southwest Chicken salad (grilled). Oh and I get my morning coffee and a Oatmeal from them in the morning. I would stay clear of the burgers and sadwiches!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I tend to get a cheeseburger for 300 calories. That and a side salad wouldn't be too bad. The McChicken is really unhealthy due to the fact that it's fried and covered in mayo, but it's around 350 and I get it sometimes, too. If I'm going to McD's I can worry about calories, but it's pointless to worry about the nutrition (if I want to get what I like).
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a hater! lol! There is nothing nutrusious there, even their salad I've read is worse than some of the sandwiches. But I completely understand! It's good to be prepared before you get there. If it were ME, I would get a chicken sandwich and take off half of the bun. Get apple slices instead of fries and drink water or coffee.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i disagree with taking children to fast food places, you are teaching them to do the same things that got you into the situation you are in in the first place.
    it is horrible for their health, why would you willingly do this to them? i mean i really am sorry i know my opinion is probably unwanted but i think this is a huge problem!

Partially agree, but not the topic of the post and as someone else said practice moderation. As I said we're there almost every day for free internet - and I don't teach my daugther to eat there every day....5 visits this week and she had a plain burger no cheese or katchup on one visit, a yogurt parfait on another visit, and 1/3 of a french fry with 1/2 a cookie on another visit. All in all not that horrible.

I do agree about what you teach the kids - I had a friend and her kids come to live with us a while. She's paleo and workng out 5x a week, and she keeps her kids active BUT her daugther LITERALLY doesn't know the difference b/w a fruit and a vegetable and I can count on my hands the times I've seen her eat protein or vegies.....mostly it's ramen, mcd, pancakes, cheerios, cheese-its, or pasta with some grapes/watermellon occasionally thrown in. Considering how strict she is on the paleo I am really confused about why she's teaching her kids these obscenely unhealthy habbits.

We don't deprive ourselves in this house, we all work out pretty hard core (me 7-8 times a week, daugther 5-6 times a week for longer ammts of time ie 2-5 hours each, and hubby 3X a week), but we do make mostly healthy choices - we don't go insane if we have a few xtra carbs on one day than the other. There would be riots
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    However when McDonalds runs out of the usual mix for shakes (and icecream) there is a special mix we use with this special flour and water stuff.

Wait. When you run out of the necessary ingredients you just start adding whatever? I've been defending McDonald's against the rabid haters but if this is true it has me very concerned.

Special flour and water stuff? Do you know how a milkshake is supposed to be made? Here's a hint, you don't use flour.

So is the nutritional information provided only accurate for when you haven't run out of the necessary ingredients and just started grabbing whatever was handy?

I worked there for 5 years and although we would only run out of shake mix once every few months or so, if there was no other way to do it this is what we would do.

I apologize for being snarky. Your post read to me like you still worked there and defended the practice.

I can't thank you enough for telling me what really goes on. I appreciate it.

I will never eat another milkshake from there, I may never eat there again. That's disgusting. The haters may well be right.
  • rufflestx
    Options
    It is interesting how fast people reply to a topic like "mcdonalds" but I also have a favorite , , , I buy a side salad, a angus beef no cheese no mayo no pickle no catsup, plan patty on a bun and take the bun and throw it away then tear up the patty into my side salad, and use dressing on the side. Now I have to go out and get that for lunch today, after I finish making the pumpkin Latte recipe from another MPFer left on a message board.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    McDonald's and me have an embarrassing history. I broke it off for the most part, but I do still have young kids and we get there sometimes. Now I'll just have a 6 pc McNuggets and a bottle of water. Resisting the fries is a workout on the willpower, though.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    i disagree with taking children to fast food places, you are teaching them to do the same things that got you into the situation you are in in the first place.
    it is horrible for their health, why would you willingly do this to them? i mean i really am sorry i know my opinion is probably unwanted but i think this is a huge problem!

You make a lot of wild assumptions here.

You ASSUME this poster got fat by eating far too much McDs. You ASSUME this poster takes them to McDs far too often. You ASSUME it isn't a rare treat, and the kids aren't aware of this fact. And by those assumptions you say its horrible for their health. Taking them to McDonalds for a rare treat is not "horrible for their health". Stop the extremism.
    Teaching your children about a healthy lifestyle is more than saying to them "That's a McDonalds, they serve grease, you may never ever go there."

This, so much this! :D

And to those that bang on about there being nothing nutritious there, its all greasy crap etc...so what?! Who said EVERYTHING we eat HAS to be full of nutrients! How about that other vital thing food has?

Y'know...

Flavour?

Flavour being subjective!
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I usually get the classic grilled chicken sandwich no mayo top bun only- 190 calories. Side salad with no dressing is 25. Enjoy!
  • JuliaLaVon
    Options
    I like their oatmeal! Not just for breakfast, ate it for dinner the other night. Only around 250 calories, very filling and has fresh cut apples. Pretty good...and I might be a little bit of a hater! lol
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    I would get an iced coffee or latte.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

I apologize for being snarky. Your post read to me like you still worked there and defended the practice.

I can't thank you enough for telling me what really goes on. I appreciate it.

I will never eat another milkshake from there, I may never eat there again. That's disgusting. The haters may well be right.

All good :)
    Not defending, Just telling it how it is... Honestly I believe everyone has a right to know.
    It may only be Australia and not America (not sure)... but that is still bad enough.
  • Jycooper
    Options
    I dont understand why people are so against Mc Donalds. To me they have the better choices compared to other fast food places. I love their oatmeal which you can get w/o brown sugar and add splenda, side salad w/ low fat italian dressing, grilled chicken snack wrap w/o sauce, yogurt, apple dippers(my favorite) w/o caramel sauce and even a 4 piece nugget I think is like 190 calories. There are healthy options there.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't eat at McDonalds on a regular basis, and when I do I get a salad with grilled chicken, but I think it's just bad to tell myself I can't have something thats not nutritious every once and a while. I feel like telling myself, or kids I may have one day, NO all the time is just setting us up for failure. We have cravings, and sometimes its ok as long as we are careful and watch calorie sounds and sodium and what not, but ffft if I will NEVER eat something bad again. I'm going there this afternoon on a road trip and plan to get a bacon ranch salad with grilled chicken, using the dressing, and its 430 calories (or something close to that) which I have saved up for it. Lasts for me, makes me feel like I am eating a meal and not just a snack til later, and for the rest of the weekend I'm going to eat fruit and veggies and a few sandwiches with healthy ingredients on it. If you think taking kids there every so often is wrong, or eating from them ever is wrong, more power to yah but I'm human and I find myself there once in a blue moon.

But my suggestions have been made, salads and snack wraps, or a burger with parfait or side salad if you can manage those calories. Enjoy the playdate!
  • scircle
    scircle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Like everyone says, just look at their nutritional info. Best thing you can do.

And if I can be pre-emptive regarding the haters:

NO, McDonald's food does not contain wood as a filler

NO, McDonald's meat does not contain hoofs and non-edible animal parts

NO, McDonald's chicken is not 70% corn syrup

NO, McDonald's milkshakes are not mostly flour

NO, McDonald's does not steal newborn babies in the night to make their Big Macs

Ok that last one was just me being silly, every other ridiculous claim I have seen on these forums. I don't like McDonald's either. But I don't need to spread lies and rumors about them or anyone else. Use your head.

They DO steal babies! They do.

Happened to watch Super Size Me the other night. May as well have a Sundae if you're going to have the fruit & yogurt parfait. There is just as much sugar.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    In before all the haters!

Their website has a full nutrition list, so you can scan through and pick what you like, and see the nutrition there too!

LOL! Waiting for the haters too.
    Hating on McDonald's gets boring
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    stick to the spicy thai salad. or Tuscan salad with grilled chicken.. but GO EASY on their dressing as that is where calories add up

Or have a healthy lunch at home, so when you are there you can grab the apple slices and a coffee or milk...can still enjoy a play date without ruining your efforts
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Like everyone says, just look at their nutritional info. Best thing you can do.

And if I can be pre-emptive regarding the haters:

NO, McDonald's food does not contain wood as a filler

NO, McDonald's meat does not contain hoofs and non-edible animal parts

NO, McDonald's chicken is not 70% corn syrup

NO, McDonald's milkshakes are not mostly flour

NO, McDonald's does not steal newborn babies in the night to make their Big Macs

Ok that last one was just me being silly, every other ridiculous claim I have seen on these forums. I don't like McDonald's either. But I don't need to spread lies and rumors about them or anyone else. Use your head.

But they do use kangaroo meat, right? And beef fit for prisoners?