McDonald's

Options

Replies

• FauxNinja
    Options
    You would be better served to drink a glass of water and eat the bag that the food comes in.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    However when McDonalds runs out of the usual mix for shakes (and icecream) there is a special mix we use with this special flour and water stuff.

Wait. When you run out of the necessary ingredients you just start adding whatever? I've been defending McDonald's against the rabid haters but if this is true it has me very concerned.

Special flour and water stuff? Do you know how a milkshake is supposed to be made? Here's a hint, you don't use flour.

So is the nutritional information provided only accurate for when you haven't run out of the necessary ingredients and just started grabbing whatever was handy?

Yeah I know how a milkshake is supposed to be made.
    I also know how they are out to steal your money.
    I worked there for 5 years and although we would only run out of shake mix once every few months or so, if there was no other way to do it this is what we would do.

I call BS. pictures or it didn't happen.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Quarterpounder with cheese.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

I know that's a funny internet phrase but there's no way she would have pictures. She's a former employee and that's the second time I've seen the claim that McDonald's uses flour in their milkshakes. The first time I called BS too. Now I heard it straight from the source that it's true. I feel like an idiot for defending McDonald's at this point.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options

I know that's a funny internet phrase but there's no way she would have pictures. She's a former employee and that's the second time I've seen the claim that McDonald's uses flour in their milkshakes. The first time I called BS too. Now I heard it straight from the source that it's true. I feel like an idiot for defending McDonald's at this point.
    Even though I do not advocate McDonald's at all, this would be hard to believe that all McDonald's put flour in their shakes. There are way too many people who have gluten allergies and could be a huge liability. So if they did do it, it was at that particular store and at the manager's (obviously crappy) discretion. But I doubt that corporate secretly tell their stores to do this
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    When I do have to eat there, which isn't very often I will get a Happy Meal. With fries and a cheeseburger it's around 500 calories.

And you get a free toy! :)

My favorite part. :laugh:
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    However when McDonalds runs out of the usual mix for shakes (and icecream) there is a special mix we use with this special flour and water stuff.

Wait. When you run out of the necessary ingredients you just start adding whatever? I've been defending McDonald's against the rabid haters but if this is true it has me very concerned.

Special flour and water stuff? Do you know how a milkshake is supposed to be made? Here's a hint, you don't use flour.

So is the nutritional information provided only accurate for when you haven't run out of the necessary ingredients and just started grabbing whatever was handy?

I worked there for 5 years and although we would only run out of shake mix once every few months or so, if there was no other way to do it this is what we would do.

I apologize for being snarky. Your post read to me like you still worked there and defended the practice.

I can't thank you enough for telling me what really goes on. I appreciate it.

I will never eat another milkshake from there, I may never eat there again. That's disgusting. The haters may well be right.

Here's another enlightening fact...

*kitten* similar to that.. happens at every fast food restuarant and normal dining establishment.

10 second rule is in effect everywhere!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    i disagree with taking children to fast food places, you are teaching them to do the same things that got you into the situation you are in in the first place.
    it is horrible for their health, why would you willingly do this to them? i mean i really am sorry i know my opinion is probably unwanted but i think this is a huge problem!

You are assuming that everyone has an issue with eating poorly. I have never been a fast food person. Im not saying that your opinion isn't applicable because Im sure that it rings truth for many people. Im simply saying that you cannot assume that everyone is in the same boat. Personally I think an "occasional" trip to McDonalds is fun for kids... the key word being "occasional".
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

I apologize for being snarky. Your post read to me like you still worked there and defended the practice.

I can't thank you enough for telling me what really goes on. I appreciate it.

I will never eat another milkshake from there, I may never eat there again. That's disgusting. The haters may well be right.

Here's another enlightening fact...

*kitten* similar to that.. happens at every fast food restuarant and normal dining establishment.

10 second rule is in effect everywhere!

^ THIS. I don't have pictures as I do not work there anymore and never thought to take pictures at the time. :/
    Not sure if it is at all stores but I know all the ones in Canberra, Australia have done it at one point or another.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Lol, I'm betting it's powdered milk.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i disagree with taking children to fast food places, you are teaching them to do the same things that got you into the situation you are in in the first place.
    it is horrible for their health, why would you willingly do this to them? i mean i really am sorry i know my opinion is probably unwanted but i think this is a huge problem!
    If you think that kids are going to listen to everything you say, then you gonna have a reality check when they tell you that they ate out with their friends at a fast food restaurant.
    You can honestly tell a child that swinging from the monkey bars is risky and that they could get hurt (my daughters schoolmate broke her wrist yesterday from playing on them), but if they see their friends having a good time and playing nice then how likely are they to believe you especially when other parents let their kids do it?
    It's better to teach them how to moderate how to eat. Eat good 80% of the time and 20% be a kid and have fun.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Southwest salad with grilled chicken (use the lime wedge over the salad) and then half the packet of Southwest Dressing

340 calories!!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE flavored coffee, seriously, if it was between a meal and coffee, I'd pick the coffee lol, but they have a great sugar free vanilla iced coffee for 90 calories!

It's a very filling meal and 450 calories total for dinner is WAY LESS than what I would eat if I were cooking at home, so if I "have to go" to McDonalds, this is what I usually do.

Also, the oatmeal is served all day long and it's 290 calories!
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    P.S. My best friend eats at McDonalds on a regular basis and she is a size 2 lol

She just understands moderation, she doesn't snack very much and she practices portion control....

She'll get a cheeseburger, small fries and water...she has always been like this, I envy her hehehehehehe j/k
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Saw in a magazine that a double cheeseburger is better than a grilled chicken mostly due to all the calories in the bun.
    Haven't thought to look it up for myself.

I eat everything plain, without the bun though - so I usually get the chicken.

We take the kiddos there about once a month in the summer... They get to play without worries of blistering themselves on playground equipment.
  • chaos_maiden
    Options
    I don't go often, but I usually get a McDouble (390 cal) and an unsweetened ice tea. If I go to McDonald's its because I have a burger craving, so I satisfy that craving with the best option and move on. The oatmeal is also very good.
    I think the 2 most important things if you're going to eat there is to skip the fries and the soda, and to order something that comes in a reasonable portion size.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

Are you assuming this is her usual Thursday outing with her friends and child? She didn't say that, so that's a pretty big assumption to make and your answer doesn't address her quesiton.
    Honestly, I'm not big into fast food, but once a month does not create a habit. When we're traveling (and only when we're traveling) I stop at fast food with my son. So once every 3 - 6 months I teach him that chick fil a or what ever has fruit, grilled chicken breasts, and milk. Teaching your children about a healthy lifestyle is more than saying to them "That's a McDonalds, they serve grease, you may never ever go there."

Yeah, but Chick-Fil-A uses actual raw chicken breasts that the employees hand-bread and season and cook...I can't identify what's in McDonald's chicken nugget, except a grey-toned substance inside some previously-frozen coating. :tongue:

I agree with you, though, for the most part. I vowed a long time ago that if I ever do have kids, they won't find out what fast food tastes like from me, with the exception of Chick-Fil-A, since I worked there for almost 2 years, and know the nutritional information, what not to get, etc. Teaching about healthy eating and moderation is key. :happy:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i want 2 big macs a large fry and a 20 piece nuggets with all the sauces ......... O and a DIET coke
  • cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options

You are assuming that everyone has an issue with eating poorly. I have never been a fast food person. Im not saying that your opinion isn't applicable because Im sure that it rings truth for many people. Im simply saying that you cannot assume that everyone is in the same boat. Personally I think an "occasional" trip to McDonalds is fun for kids... the key word being "occasional".

And thats why your kid is ****ed up!
  • kristennwinter
    kristennwinter Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you're from Canada, the Fajitas are AWESOME . They're 400 calories for two, filling and delicious in every way. I'm a huge fajita fan, I could pretty much eat them every day. Get a tonne of salsa with them. Just skip the fries and get a water or diet soda. :)

BUT if you're from the states, you might be out of luck, the last time I was in the US, I was absolutely rotted when I found out that I would not be eating Mc Donald's Fajitas on our 3 week road trip. :(
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options

Lol, I'm betting it's powdered milk.

That would be my guess or some other powdery mix - which I still doubt. Usually if a store is out of something it's just too bad until next truck, or they borrow from a neighboring store. If a store did something weird with flour than it's a human screw up - that can happen at any restaurant.