adoption???

Options
nakabi
nakabi Posts: 589 Member
I was meeting with a policyholder this past week (I work for an insurance company) and she was 8.5 months pregnant. We started discussing pregnancy and children and she revealed that she really did not want the baby. She knew that abortion was wrong and that is why she had made the WONDERFUL decision in having the baby. The subject of adoption came up and she said she was hesitant to do it because you never knew how the children turned out and what if her daughter (her baby) hated her down the road. As we talked I let her know that I was adopted (mother was raped by a soldier during the dictatorship of Idi Am). I had been placed into an orphanage after my mum died and it was from there that my adoptive parents adopted me. I told her how wonderful adoption can be and what a blessing it is for both the child and the adoptive parents. Before she left, she promised that she would let me know what she decided to do....

My question to you: are any of you adopted and if so, what kind of families adopted you?

Replies

• quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm not adopted, but there's the option of open adoptions, where you can stay in touch with the child and the child's family. I know a few people who have gone down that route and it seems to be wonderful, if the right people are involved!
  • Jconner30
    Options
    I adopted my x-wifes child from her first husband. My daughter is now 16 (turns 17 on Oct 20th). She met her real dad and she didnt like him. He was real critical of her and he did not listen to her or engage in meaninful conversations. She had her guard up with me for a long time but now she loves me, calls me dad, and when she went to counceling with me a while back, she broke down and told the councelor that I was the only dad she ever knew and she said that I was not a bad guy. Every since then, our relationship has flourished! I do not look at her differenlty than my biological twin daughters.
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is adopted and he has lovely parents but they dont talk about his real mum and dad and i think that has left him with issues xxx
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My cousins are both adopted using an "open adoption" policy. This means that the birth parents can get photo updates, letters, copies of report cards, etc. One of the birth parents comes to visit several times a year, so she can actually interact with him. It just really depends on what the parents want.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My best friend put her daughter up for adoption. She became pregnant at 16 and knew she wouldnt be able to give the child the home that she deserved. She had an open adoption and the child is with an amazing family and has siblings and doesn't hold a grudge against my friend at all. Adoption can be a wonderful thing.
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am adopted too. Message me for more info. I have located my birth mother and I love her very much.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Both my sister and I were adopted. We are true results of the nature vs nurture question.

If you ask ME, I have the most amazing parents ever. They were/are lower middle class, my dad was a plumber for almost 40 years, mom stayed home until we were older and in school. A little old fashioned, but not to the detriment of my upbringing. I always had what I needed, and a lot of what I wanted, as long as it was within reason. They have ALWAYS been supportive of me, and I have never felt different or wondered if I would have had a better life had my bmom kept me.

My sister though...she started having problems when she became a teen. Wrong crowd, drugs, skipping school, pregnant at 17. She said she always felt like she was an outcast. She found and met her birth dad about 6 years ago and it was like WOW. She is his carbon copy, from appearance to even taste in music. Once she met him, she felt like she belonged.

Not sure if this REALLY answers your question, but it does show how even in the same household how two people can live completely different upbringings.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm not adopted, but there's the option of open adoptions, where you can stay in touch with the child and the child's family. I know a few people who have gone down that route and it seems to be wonderful, if the right people are involved!

Very much this.

My husband and I are waiting to adopt. Paperwork is mostly done but we are very much willing to have an open adoption. They're a lot more common these days than people realize. It's not the 'cloak and dagger'/'thief in the night' - take the baby out the back door of the hospital - that it used to be. Especially if you use the right agencies.

I understand that making that choice between abortion or adoption or keeping the baby must be so hard. They're not easy choices. It makes me grateful for the people who choose to give the baby up to adoption because it lets people like my husband and I, who can't have kids on our own, to have them and raise a family.
  • Hopinitworks
    Options
    :happy: I am not adopted but I adopted a daughter 11 years ago. My daughters were 15 and 17 at the time and I wanted to extend my motherhood because I loved it so much. We were chosen by my daughters mother to be her parents. We met her Mother in the hospital the day she was born. Her mother was going to college and wanted her baby to live a life she could not and was not ready to provide at the time. Our youngest is the love of our lives. She is the center of our universe. I respect her mother so much for giving us the gift we could never have had without her. I keep in touch by e mail and when the time comes that my daughter wants to meet her she will. I hope that young girl makes the decision that is best for her and the baby. Adoption is the hardest and the greatest gift any woman can give another.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am not adopted but I think that it must have been amazing to your policyholder that you were adopted just when she needed to hear a positive side. Imagine anyone else having a conversation with her... they don't have the experience you do, they can't help her the way you can. That's a fabulous "coincidence" in the universe.

Glad you could give her hope.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    two of my cousins are adopted and they have the best relationship with their adoptive parents, but no connection to the birth parents.

on another note entirely... your views on abortion should be kept to yourself. i don't appreciate the snide way you threw that in there.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My older brother was given up for adoption. He's a full brother (it's a long story; short story, my father's a douche). I didn't meet him until I was 18.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm not adopted, but I know several people who have adopted. I was going to say, there's a lot of open adoption these days where the birth mother (or parents) get to be part of her baby's life and see how the baby turns out.

My aunt and uncle have adopted two little girls and those girls have it pretty awesome. The editor of my last newspaper where I worked and his wife adopted a little boy (these were all closed adoptions, FYI) and that kid is very loved and happy. My cousin's wife was adopted and has a great family who she loves. I can't think of more off the top of my head. :-) I know there are others, though.

My grandfather had a girlfriend who had two adopted children (adults when I knew them) who weren't real thrilled with their adoptive parents, but I don't think they hated their birth parents for giving them up.

It is a chance you take when you give your baby away, but I think there's a better chance of ending up in a good home than a bad one. And the open adoption option is a good way to go for someone who's worried.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    THAT'S a dangerous road to go down. I'm adopted - closed adoption - and I can't imagine doing it any other way. With an open adoption you risk a lot of confusion on the child's part and grief on the part of the adoptive parents. I'm sure that there are situations where this can work out, but I don't think it's the majority. When a child is adopted, all biological parental rights are terminated, and you should avoid contact until after the child is 18 - excepting, perhaps, periodical updates to the child's family medical history.

Adoption is wonderful, and I'm actually a second generation adoptee, but I cannot imagine having had another person in my life as a small child who claimed to be my mother.

Edit: correspondence between biological and adoptive parents is okay so the biological parent knows that the child is doing well, but they should avoid direct contact with the adopted child until s/he is mature enough to handle it.
  • Dylanzmom
    Options
    I am adopted by my maternal grandparents and I am thankful that they did it. My bio mom did not turn out that great and I know that had I lived with her, I probably would not have the life that i have now. Also at 13 i was raped and became pregnant, I knew that I was too young to raise a baby so I asked my aunt and uncle to adopt her. She is now 12 years old and is doing awesome. She has the life that i would not have been able to give her at the time.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i'm not adopted, but my husband and i are thinking of adopting. we could have our own children if we wanted, but we figure that there are so many children with no family in NC alone, why not open our home to them? as of now, though, it's kind of a moot point until i get a job...:grumble:

but i think as soon as i finally get a teaching job, we might move forward down that avenue.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    My older brother was given up for adoption. He's a full brother (it's a long story; short story, my father's a douche). I didn't meet him until I was 18.

This is what happened with my BF and his older sister - she had been given up for adoption. He leeps telling her she got the better end of things.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I am not adopted but I am glad that the option is there for children that need it and mothers/families that cannot or will not raise them for whatever reason. There are always going to be situations where a mother cannot or will not raise her baby for some reason, so there will always be a need for someone to care for and love those children. It may not be perfect in many circumstances but it is better than having the state control the child's upbringing. I have a family member that adopted and their family is loving and beautiful. The birth mother chose them and brought them a baby gift at the court proceedings. I know sometimes it's not so picturesque but sometimes it can be a real blessing for all parties involved. Now, there's always a possibility that the child may have issues down the road that they will need to address, I understand that, but for the moment when there is a child that needs to be cared for you have to worry about the most immediate needs first.

Also, there are different types of adoptions. Sometimes everyone feels that an open adoption is best since the child can have contact and knowledge of their birthmother/parents and not grow up wondering 'what if'. Just depends on the situation. But you are taking a bit of a leap of faith to enter into that type of adoption b/c it wouldn't be too hard for the adoptive family to change their minds and decide they don't really want the birthmother having so much contact. It's a tricky situation and a delicate balance. There's no one right answer for every situation, every person/baby/situation is different.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    THAT'S a dangerous road to go down. I'm adopted - closed adoption - and I can't imagine doing it any other way. With an open adoption you risk a lot of confusion on the child's part and grief on the part of the adoptive parents. I'm sure that there are situations where this can work out, but I don't think it's the majority. When a child is adopted, all biological parental rights are terminated, and you should avoid contact until after the child is 18 - excepting, perhaps, periodical updates to the child's family medical history.

Adoption is wonderful, and I'm actually a second generation adoptee, but I cannot imagine having had another person in my life as a small child who claimed to be my mother.

Being the product of a closed adoption, I would have to agree with the above. Not just for the sake of the child but also the adoptive parents. My mother is my mother, and she would not have wanted to share me with anyone, even the one who gave birth to me. And I totally understand and respect that. I think it would be very hard to take a child into your home to raise as your own, but still have this person in their life every day that was also "momma". But again, that is just my opinion being a child of adoption. I would not want to share.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm adopted.

It's fine. It isn't like I can compare it to being raised by my birth family because that never happened. It's normal to me. It's just my life.