question!! chocolate milk

Options
i ve seen around alot of forums that chocolate milk is great as a recovery drink. for some reason i cant find one with low sugar or without corn syrup. and when i do its crazy expensive . so my question is can i just mix milk and unsweeten cocoa powder ? what would the ratio be?

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    i ve seen around alot of forums that chocolate milk is great as a recovery drink. for some reason i cant find one with low sugar or without corn syrup. and when i do its crazy expensive . so my question is can i just mix milk and unsweeten cocoa powder ? what would the ratio be?

To be honest the entire point of why chocolate milk is a great recovery drink is because of the carb and protein ratios. Low sugar = lower carbs and you want the carbs. Besides, it tastes amazing. =)
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You would probably want some sweetener. Unsweetened cocoa powder is really bitter...and I don't think it would dissolve very easily either.
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I find it really strange that milk would make a good recovery drink because it digests so slowly, and the idea behind a recovery drink is that your body will absorb it quickly.
  • alohabrie
    Options
    There have actually been studies that show chocolate milk as a great recovery drink after a hard workout. Suppose to be better than sports drinks. You'll want some sugar in the chocolate - that's part of the carbs that are replenishing your system. :)
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Nestle Quik Sugar free powder is what I use every now and then but I mainly use Silk Soy Dark Chocolate Almond Milk..
  • shoemakerdr
    shoemakerdr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I find it really strange that milk would make a good recovery drink because it digests so slowly, and the idea behind a recovery drink is that your body will absorb it quickly.

She's right. I went to a lecture on this a few weeks ago and chocolate milk does not actually make a great recovery drink for this very reason.
  • hurton
    hurton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    it has to do the carbs/protein ratio. They talked about this at my personal trainer workshop.
  • mcb816
    Options
    My nutritionist said that it is good bc you are restoring your body with carbs and protein. I like muscle milk light and chocolate skim milk plus. also check out EAS chocolate protein powder =)
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I drink Quik Reduced Sugar. It is powder. It's pretty good.
  • joejccva71
    Options

She's right. I went to a lecture on this a few weeks ago and chocolate milk does not actually make a great recovery drink for this very reason.

Sugars absorb fast which is what matters here. The milk is casein protein which digest slow but the carbs are what makes the recovery. The anabolic window lasts 24 hours anyway so it doesn't matter when you get your nutrients as long as it's throughout the day. This is why meal timing doesn't matter.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Nesquik chocolate ftw :D
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    On Tuesday Men's Health had an artical online about the top 40 superfoods. And you guessed it....chocolate milk made the cut. Large glass right after a workout. I was so excited, I missed my choc milk.
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Nesquik chocolate ftw :D

That's what we use, and my kids get a glass everynight before they brush and go to bed.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

If you have functioning taste buds, I wouldn't recommend it.
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Sugars absorb fast which is what matters here. The milk is casein protein which digest slow but the carbs are what makes the recovery. The anabolic window lasts 24 hours anyway so it doesn't matter when you get your nutrients as long as it's throughout the day. This is why meal timing doesn't matter.

As a kinesiology student who has studied sports nutrition - I would very strongly question the Science behind this. There is actually a very good argument out there for cutting dairy out of your diet altogether. I personally do not agree with cutting any food group out of your diet altogether, but if you don't even believe in meal timing (which you should if you are exercising intensely) then you cannot believe in the concept of a recovery drink either - because, as it's very name implies, a recovery drink is meant to be drank at a very specific time, so that your body can "recover" quickly from an intense workout.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There have actually been studies that show chocolate milk as a great recovery drink after a hard workout. Suppose to be better than sports drinks. You'll want some sugar in the chocolate - that's part of the carbs that are replenishing your system. :)

Some studies have shown that, but I have also seen studies that suggest a beer is good for recovery after a cardio session (although not as good as other option, better than just water though)
  • joejccva71
    Options

As a kinesiology student who has studied sports nutrition - I would very strongly question the Science behind this. There is actually a very good argument out there for cutting dairy out of your diet altogether. I personally do not agree with cutting any food group out of your diet altogether, but if you don't even believe in meal timing (which you should if you are exercising intensely) then you cannot believe in the concept of a recovery drink either - because, as it's very name implies, a recovery drink is meant to be drank at a very specific time, so that your body can "recover" quickly from an intense workout.

1. Meal timing doesn't matter and it's been proven. If you do a little searching on NIH, Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald or Martin Berkhan you'll find alot of information along with cited studies that have shown this.

2. You should not cut out dairy unless you are lactose intolerant.

3. Exercising intensely has absolutely nothing to do with meal timing.

4. The fact that I agree with drinking chocolate milk after I workout is because well I love the taste of it, and it gives me some energy. I never said it was REQUIRED after a workout like alot of people think post-workout drinks are.
  • shoemakerdr
    shoemakerdr Posts: 7 Member
    Options

This is true but the PROTEIN is the most important part of the combo. The protein is where recovery comes from. It helps build up the muscle mass lost through exercise. Carbs are a quick fix, but not nearly as important as protein.
  • joejccva71
    Options

This is true but the PROTEIN is the most important part of the combo. The protein is where recovery comes from. It helps build up the muscle mass lost through exercise. Carbs are a quick fix, but not nearly as important as protein.

Again, the anabolic window lasts 24 hours so it does not matter if you have protein after you workout. Also unless you are eating at a calorie surplus, new muscle tissue is not being built.