Please do not veiw posts that are geared toward negative thi

Options
We are all here to enjoy ourselves and to support one another. Lets keep it about that. We don't need religious debates and such. It's just depressing. Go back to facebook if ya wanna do that.

Replies

• perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    "Don't talk about anything that makes me uncomfortable or you are a loser" is what I'm hearing. Why discussing religion is a negative thing, I'm not sure of (but shouldn't be done anyways, since it's not allowed).

Debate and discourse is not inherently negative. Quite honestly, I find the idea that one should avoid discussion or anything other than yes-men to be discouraging. Support can mean all kind of different things - including people letting me know when I'm wrong or completely off-base.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    We are all here to enjoy ourselves and to support one another. Lets keep it about that. We don't need religious debates and such. It's just depressing. Go back to facebook if ya wanna do that.

sounds like you get depressed easily, but this place isn't just about you, the rest of us are here too. Let the mods do their jobs
    one other thing, you are gonna get real depressed in a minute when you read the responses you're gonna get. You should prob walk away from your own post here.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Maybe a better idea would be for you not to view the posts that don't appeal to you?
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

let's just allow the mods to deal with it... it's their job, after all.
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    It says in the form that you agreed to when you joined that you are not to talk about that kind of stuff. Just replying to it is drama. FB it.
  • killerqueen17
    Options
    It says in the form that you agreed to when you joined that you are not to talk about that kind of stuff.

True story. And that's why there are mods to enforce it :)
  • killerqueen17
    Options
    PS-- this topic is breaking a rule:

11) If you have concerns about another poster or wish to report a rule violation, the ONLY appropriate venue is to use the Report Post feature or to message me. You may NOT air such concerns on the message boards themselves. If you have a general concern that does not involve a specific member, you may post your question in a civil manner in the "Feedback" or "Help" forums.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    If not for debate, I might have been "stuck" into thinking some old ways rather than really looking at actual facts. For the longest time I believed that eating late at night put weight on people. Till I debated it with someone and had to eat crow on the actual scientific facts on it. I find it stimulating and a way of gaining knowledge as long as the debate is civil and non aggressive.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    It says in the form that you agreed to when you joined that you are not to talk about that kind of stuff. Just replying to it is drama. FB it.

Posts like this are drama too.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Debate and discourse is not inherently negative. Quite honestly, I find the idea that one should avoid discussion or anything other than yes-men to be discouraging. Support can mean all kind of different things - including people letting me know when I'm wrong or completely off-base.
    I love this. I log in to MFP to count calories, to weigh in, to get information, to try to help others, to laugh, to tease, to get teased. In other words, a lot of what I use MFP for is social. That's why I'm sticking here. There are plenty of other fitness/weight loss sites that do pretty much the same thing. But I've established some relationships here that mean something to me.

And some of these relationships are meaningful to me because the friends are opinionated, snarky, sarcastic, etc. I don't need someone telling me I'm a beautiful unique snowflake after I go to town on a basket of chili cheese fries. That's why I had children. I need TRUE friends who will make me laugh, make me think, challenge my ideas.

I am disgusted (not using that word lightly) by the idea of sanitizing all discussion that doesn't agree with me and is only positive. Critical thought is what made this country. Healthy debate is a highway of LEARNING. What is so bad about someone being "negative" or posting something I don't agree with (providing it is within MFP rules)? Even if it's snarky, I don't necessarily consider it unhelpful. Sometimes levity is needed during a serious discussion. If I'm not in the mood to laugh, I read it and move on.

Let's face it. People are funny creatures. We get all serious about stuff. And we're silly. It's OK to laugh.
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options

Not to pick on you, but you started a whole new post as a reply to the other post. This is pretty much asking for drama. And also something we're not allowed to do. It says in the rules you agreed to when you joined.

You also generalized towards negative things and depressing materials on a broader scale. So that's what's behind remarks geared in that direction.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Dont look if you dont like it theres a new idea for ya!!
    Just because you dont like something does not mean everybody does not. I get that it is against the rules but it was a friendly conversation with the only real negative remark coming from you. If you are so against drama why are you starting it?
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

oh and you do relize that this right here is against forum rules also right?
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Is this National Punkd Day?!

::headdesk::
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    depressed yet?
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I love this. I log in to MFP to count calories, to weigh in, to get information, to try to help others, to laugh, to tease, to get teased. In other words, a lot of what I use MFP for is social. That's why I'm sticking here. There are plenty of other fitness/weight loss sites that do pretty much the same thing. But I've established some relationships here that mean something to me.

And some of these relationships are meaningful to me because the friends are opinionated, snarky, sarcastic, etc. I don't need someone telling me I'm a beautiful unique snowflake after I go to town on a basket of chili cheese fries. That's why I had children. I need TRUE friends who will make me laugh, make me think, challenge my ideas.

I am disgusted (not using that word lightly) by the idea of sanitizing all discussion that doesn't agree with me and is only positive. Critical thought is what made this country. Healthy debate is a highway of LEARNING. What is so bad about someone being "negative" or posting something I don't agree with (providing it is within MFP rules)? Even if it's snarky, I don't necessarily consider it unhelpful. Sometimes levity is needed during a serious discussion. If I'm not in the mood to laugh, I read it and move on.

Let's face it. People are funny creatures. We get all serious about stuff. And we're silly. It's OK to laugh.

YOU! You go to GULAG NOW!!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    But it's just so much more enjoyable to hold "intellectual" conversation here, where controversy must be battled until the thread is locked. Like timed debates.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Your thread is a rule violation.....Reported! hahaha SMH
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You are not the boss of me.
  • sparetirebegone
    sparetirebegone Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You need to chillax!! It's people like you that put a downer on forums! Move on to the next please!
This discussion has been closed.