SNACKS...I need SNACKS!!!!

Options

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Roasted Chickpeas!

Take a can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drain and rinse very well. Pat dry with a paper towel.

Toss with 1T Olive Oil, 1/4 tsp salt, and whatever spices you like (chili powder, curry, cinnamon, whatever floats your boat).

Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 45 minutes until they're crunchy.

These are good as snacks, or as "croutons" on a salad.

that sounds bloody awesome...i'm so going to try this!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    This may sound a little odd, but a great crunchy no carb snack is chicharrones or pork rinds. Don't overdo them, of course, but they definitely do the trick. I also sit with a single serving of sunflower seeds and eat them one at a time. They take a long time to eat for the calories.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Roasted Chickpeas!

Take a can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drain and rinse very well. Pat dry with a paper towel.

Toss with 1T Olive Oil, 1/4 tsp salt, and whatever spices you like (chili powder, curry, cinnamon, whatever floats your boat).

Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 45 minutes until they're crunchy.

These are good as snacks, or as "croutons" on a salad.

NOW THAT'S NEW! Cool thanks for the tip.
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    This may sound a little odd, but a great crunchy no carb snack is chicharrones or pork rinds. Don't overdo them, of course, but they definitely do the trick. I also sit with a single serving of sunflower seeds and eat them one at a time. They take a long time to eat for the calories.

LOL I like pork rinds but I never thought of them. I'll check that out. It's been years since I've had them.
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Veggies!!! Sugar snap peas, red, yellow, orange pepper strips, celery..all soo yummy. popcorn has a crunch, i eat skinny pop or the 100 calorie snack bags. Rice cakes have crunch, usually get 15 or so for 120 calories. Popchips, the bbq ones especially.

I've heard of pop chips but the ones I found in the health food store were so expensive!
  • TotallyYoga
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel about snacks! For me, the best crunchy, no guilt snack is Wasa. I eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is the perfect vehicle for whatever I'm craving. I actually do some work with them so it has been really easy to keep a box at my work desk and some at home.

Check out the website, there are 10 different kinds to choose from and it lists all the nutritional value for each one: www.wasa-usa.com

My go to recipes: sunny side egg, spinach, sriracha on Sourdough Wasa and chocolate almond butter on the Crsip'n Light.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel about snacks! For me, the best crunchy, no guilt snack is Wasa. I eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is the perfect vehicle for whatever I'm craving. I actually do some work with them so it has been really easy to keep a box at my work desk and some at home.

Check out the website, there are 10 different kinds to choose from and it lists all the nutritional value for each one: www.wasa-usa.com

My go to recipes: sunny side egg, spinach, sriracha on Sourdough Wasa and chocolate almond butter on the Crsip'n Light.
    Wasa are good. I can find them at my local 99 cent store, too, which is at least half the cost of the grocery store.
  • Breckgirl
    Options

Good to know, I'll look them up, thanks!
  • Partyofpugs
    Options
    Can't wait to try this!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I've discovered how great rice cakes are lately. I love them with peanut butter on top. The rice cakes I have are only 8g carbs, which is not bad considering what it's made of.

Like everyone else has said too, nuts, carrots, pepper strips, and other veggies.
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    I've discovered how great rice cakes are lately. I love them with peanut butter on top. The rice cakes I have are only 8g carbs, which is not bad considering what it's made of.

Like everyone else has said too, nuts, carrots, pepper strips, and other veggies.

I love rice cakes but I don't think I new they were that low in carbs. Will check them out again, thanks
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Just wanted to let you know that I did try the hummus idea, I went with roasted red pepper...and it was wonderful! good to put on anything crunchy. Thanks guys, YOU ROCK!
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good snack ideas, just marking the thread so I can find it again. Think I'll try the chickpeas one first. I have a couple of tins in the cupboard.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Look up the topic of microwave healthy popcorn - my new fav!!!!

Also, here is my recipe for granola. It is crunchy and delicious - plus you can use it as a cereal or my family adds it to greek yogurt or frozen yogurt.

Granola Recipe

2 c. rolled oats
    1 t. cinnamon
    ½ t. salt
    2/3 c. walnuts (You can use pecans also)
    3 T. oil (I use olive oil, you can use vegetable or canola oil)
    ¼ c. honey or agave
    ¼ c. firmly packed brown sugar
    1 t. vanilla extract
    OPTIONAL – I add sliced almonds, sesame seeds and raw sunflower seeds. No measuring, just throw them in.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, toss oats with cinnamon, salt, nuts and seeds. In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, honey, brown sugar and vanilla until blended. Pour the wet mixture in with the dry and use your CLEAN hands to combine the two until everything is well coated and your hands are gooey. Lick them if you must (you will want to), but WASH your hands right after.

Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the mixture over top. Spread it out evenly, but it should be clumpy in spots. Bake for 10 minutes and then use a spatula to gently flip the granola over. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely in the pan. ** Very important because it will smell awesome and you are going to want to try it right away but DON’T, walk away and let cool completely so it hardens. Use your hands to break up the granola into clumps. Place in a tightly lidded container or Ziploc bag.
    ENJOY!!!
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Look up the topic of microwave healthy popcorn - my new fav!!!!

Also, here is my recipe for granola. It is crunchy and delicious - plus you can use it as a cereal or my family adds it to greek yogurt or frozen yogurt.

Granola Recipe

THANKS! THIS SOUNDS WONDERFUL!

2 c. rolled oats
    1 t. cinnamon
    ½ t. salt
    2/3 c. walnuts (You can use pecans also)
    3 T. oil (I use olive oil, you can use vegetable or canola oil)
    ¼ c. honey or agave
    ¼ c. firmly packed brown sugar
    1 t. vanilla extract
    OPTIONAL – I add sliced almonds, sesame seeds and raw sunflower seeds. No measuring, just throw them in.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, toss oats with cinnamon, salt, nuts and seeds. In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, honey, brown sugar and vanilla until blended. Pour the wet mixture in with the dry and use your CLEAN hands to combine the two until everything is well coated and your hands are gooey. Lick them if you must (you will want to), but WASH your hands right after.

Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the mixture over top. Spread it out evenly, but it should be clumpy in spots. Bake for 10 minutes and then use a spatula to gently flip the granola over. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely in the pan. ** Very important because it will smell awesome and you are going to want to try it right away but DON’T, walk away and let cool completely so it hardens. Use your hands to break up the granola into clumps. Place in a tightly lidded container or Ziploc bag.
    ENJOY!!!
  • Thirstygirl
    Thirstygirl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    go to trader joes -- i think they have fantastic and different things:)
  • Thirstygirl
    Thirstygirl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    go to trader joes -- i think they have fantastic and different things:)
  • CarrieJ85
    CarrieJ85 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I like Pop Chips, the sour cream and onion are very good! Trader Joe's also has popped potato chips that are good!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Veggies!!! Sugar snap peas, red, yellow, orange pepper strips, celery..all soo yummy. popcorn has a crunch, i eat skinny pop or the 100 calorie snack bags. Rice cakes have crunch, usually get 15 or so for 120 calories. Popchips, the bbq ones especially.
    Popchips are really good. Especially sea salt and vinegar
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    I like Pop Chips, the sour cream and onion are very good! Trader Joe's also has popped potato chips that are good!

I just discovered pop chips. The plain ones are too plain but I liked the barbq ones. My trader Joe's is limited on flavors.