Negativity on MFP.

Options

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options

I truly believe that ANYONE on MFP is able to ask WHATEVER they want, however they want, and whenever they want. Just because someone asks practically the "same" question, maybe that person got a bit confused with the answers given to them. Or if the question sounds "dumb" to you, why be rude to them? Not everyone knows what you know. There's no need to be negative on someones post. Lighten up.. we're not here for negativity. From what I remember, we are ALSO here to help others. And yes, I do believe that anyone is able to respond however they want as well, but I just don't see why any negativity towards someone asking a question in a polite matter..
    Since this is a diet and exercise site, you are bound to run into a lot of hungry, tired people.
    We tend to get a little testy :bigsmile:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Sorry to those who are a bit "annoyed" or anything with my "nut butter" posts.. I don't mean to annoy anyone or anything.. there's times where I have asked a question, and got various / different responses or any responses from friends which would get me a bit confused..

I truly believe that ANYONE on MFP is able to ask WHATEVER they want, however they want, and whenever they want. Just because someone asks practically the "same" question, maybe that person got a bit confused with the answers given to them. Or if the question sounds "dumb" to you, why be rude to them? Not everyone knows what you know. There's no need to be negative on someones post. Lighten up.. we're not here for negativity. From what I remember, we are ALSO here to help others. And yes, I do believe that anyone is able to respond however they want as well, but I just don't see why any negativity towards someone asking a question in a polite matter..

I'm still learning everyday especially on MFP.. so again, my apologies if it has annoyed anyone. Now I know to easily just search my question up to see if it will answer anything I need to know.

I love all of the MFP people on here who continue to stay POSITIVE, motivated & determined. All of you who give me support, know that it's mutual! :)

** edit post : Hope all of you are having a good week so far.

Im freakin' brand new, and Im already getting crap.... I do my best to search everywhere (still learning about navigating this site) before I post anything....

Also when I try to contribute (I thought we were allowed?!), Ive already received crap for that as well... Im better off just avoiding several communicative-sections of this site, and just use it for what my doctor wants me to use it for to begin with...
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    Some people are just negative. as it RL just ignore the negative people. Writing a post on how it annoys you isn't going to change their personality!
    Yup i work with negative people and as a positive person myself find it tiring...but it's them and imagine how 'great' their life is being so negative all the time.
    Don't let it bother you-esp on a internet message board!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    tuzki-bunny-emoticon-023.gif
  • glitterpiss
    Options
    If you can't handle negativity stay off the internet? Or learn to cope with it and learn from your mistakes?

Or maybe just don't make nut butter posts if you can't handle nut butter jokes?
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Sorry to those who are a bit "annoyed" or anything with my "nut butter" posts.. I don't mean to annoy anyone or anything.. there's times where I have asked a question, and got various / different responses or any responses from friends which would get me a bit confused..

I'm still learning everyday especially on MFP.. so again, my apologies if it has annoyed anyone. Now I know to easily just search my question up to see if it will answer anything I need to know.

I love all of the MFP people on here who continue to stay POSITIVE, motivated & determined. All of you who give me support, know that it's mutual! :)

Im freakin' brand new, and Im already getting crap.... I do my best to search everywhere (still learning about navigating this site) before I post anything....

Also when I try to contribute (I thought we were allowed?!), Ive already received crap for that as well... Im better off just avoiding several communicative-sections of this site, and just use it for what my doctor wants me to use it for to begin with...

I am sorry that someone who is just starting out such as yourself has been recieving crap! I too have a hard time finding the right answers sometimes using the search feature. Ask away! The others will get over it if you don't understand!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    You know, many people harp on using the search feature for common topics but for the record, the search feature on these forums pretty much sucks. The way the results are presented makes it tough especially for newbies to find what they need. Often times it's far easier just to ask again, and I see no problem with that. If you're annoyed by the topic then how about just not reading or responding?
    negativity site:myfitnesspal.com - Google Search
    http://tinyurl.com/65wh4jk
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    You know, many people harp on using the search feature for common topics but for the record, the search feature on these forums pretty much sucks. The way the results are presented makes it tough especially for newbies to find what they need. Often times it's far easier just to ask again, and I see no problem with that. If you're annoyed by the topic then how about just not reading or responding?
    negativity site:myfitnesspal.com - Google Search
    http://tinyurl.com/65wh4jk

I seriously doubt that most people on this site know enough google-fu to even understand the search you just wrote there. I also REALLY doubt that anyone is going to want to go to an external site (i.e. Google) just to search the forums here simply because the forum search feature here is so limited.
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Complete word on the terrible search function. I've searched for things on here and usually get between 20-50 pages of hits, 90% that aren't really helpful, so reading through them is just a waste of time. You should be able to search by topic title and posts, to eliminate the amount of hits you get.

Most forums I've been on have a 15 page/30 day rule, meaning you should look back 15 pages (which is still a lot) and if you don't see it easily, feel free to ask.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Try thinking of MFP forum like this: When you ask a question, it is the equivalent of asking hundreds of random people on the street a question. Of those people, some may answer your question correctly, even more will probably be incorrect, some will be clueless, some will be jerks and others may crack a joke. If you continuously ask same group of people the same question, they will be more apt to be a jerk or crack a joke the second, third, etc. time around.

If you have a legitimate question and want to be sure you get the correct reply, try speaking to a nutritionist or a doctor. Otherwise, you will continue to not get what you are looking for.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:

And to better relate why some people get frustrated at the same questions, it's like you analogy PLUS a big sign in front of the person that says "READ ME ". They don't read and ask the same questions that the previous 100 did.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    Options
    I really don't see a reason to get nasty with someone for asking a question, regardless if it has been asked before and would show up in the search feature. If you think someone isn't putting in enough effort to find information, just ignore the question and move on. Some people live for drama.
    I have to ditto this one.

I have to ditto it, as well. :tongue: I just try to ignore the negative nancys...there are indeed a whole swarm of them on here, it seems. It's hard sometimes, but my best advice is to just ignore them. They live for the online forum drama! I also agree with whoever mentioned the fact that people who are consistently rude/negative/downright mean...they are in fact hiding behind a computer. I'd be willing to bet anything that it's an online persona, and they don't really act that way in person. Just ignore people who are coming off as rude....it gets easier over time, I promise. :flowerforyou:

Thanks love :) Glad to know some of you agree with me! :heart:
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    Options

I agree. I've used the search feature to moderate success. Having said that, if I want to ask a damn question I'll ask it.

Completely agree!! <3
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

I am sorry that someone who is just starting out such as yourself has been recieving crap! I too have a hard time finding the right answers sometimes using the search feature. Ask away! The others will get over it if you don't understand!

Exactly! And remember--they're actually taking their time to post something negative/counterproductive...and that's just pathetic. :wink: Filling ones time with negativity isn't healthy...so don't let their attitude problems get in your way of asking something! Plus, what if you want NEW opinions? I've never gone past page 2 in any of the forum categories, because I want a thread that's "alive" vs. an outdated one with older opinions that have been tossed around.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    Options
    If you can't handle negativity stay off the internet? Or learn to cope with it and learn from your mistakes?

Stay off the internet?? Lol
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    Options

Exactly! And remember--they're actually taking their time to post something negative/counterproductive...and that's just pathetic. :wink: Filling ones time with negativity isn't healthy...so don't let their attitude problems get in your way of asking something! Plus, what if you want NEW opinions? I've never gone past page 2 in any of the forum categories, because I want a thread that's "alive" vs. an outdated one with older opinions that have been tossed around.

Thankyou for the tips!! :) Appreciate it.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree with you totally- I just ignore the rude comment by annonymous people. The internet is full of angry people that just can't wait to attack a normal innocent person...just ignore it.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    ummm what is nut butter?
  • redhead91
    Options
    I agree to an extent but if you use the search feature and actually read the threads that have been posted 9 times out of 10 you can actually get a clear answer .

When I first started here I was gonna ask about the Exercise calories and the eating them back thing and before I posted I double checked the threads and low and behold I found my answer, and never had to ask.

Sometimes I don't think the commenters are really being negative but are being more ... sarcastic - which may not always translate well in text.

I personally hate the search feature on this site. It's very muddled and confusing and isn't organized well at all.

That said a lot of people on here may have never been part of a forum before and don't know the "rules" that you're supposed to search first. Let's all just be nice, answer questions kindly, and get along :flowerforyou:
  • glitterpiss
    Options

Stay off the internet?? Lol

Absolutely. If talking to people on the internet that aren't always 100% sunshine and rainbows causes you mental anguish, then you should avoid it. You're not going to be able to change people, and its incredibly rude to try.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Oh, so you'd asked this already a few times? Dude... is this true?

Yes.

Christina, honey, if you use the search function you will find the posts that are similar to the ones you are posting now. I promise you, it's still ok to eat nut butter if you stay within your calorie limit. It's still ok to eat the same thing more than once a day. I am saying this in all honesty and kindness.