Atkins and calories

Options
3 days in and 4 pounds lost! The cravings are managable, and i feel like i am eating a lot. The only problem is that i am finding it really hard to get above 1000 calories. Any ideas to help me get to 1500?

Thanks!

Replies

• kassied09
    Options
    nuts, peanut butter, nutella.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    sure...dont do atkins
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    Options
    sure...dont do atkins

LOL!!!

I do have a question since you are doing Adkins. How many carbs are you allowed per day?
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Atkins really wrecks your system. Most of the weight lost is only water, and you put it back on almost immediately. I hope you did your research...
  • sarahsedaii
    sarahsedaii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    For the first 2 weeks, I am allowed up to 20, but I have only come close one day.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    Options
    sure...dont do atkins

LOL!!!

I do have a question since you are doing Adkins. How many carbs are you allowed per day?

NM - Finally found a website that tells me. 20-25 per day. Couldn't do it.
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I dont do akins, but I am Primal/ partial Paleo, and I dont count calories at all. I stay fuller longer on less food because of what I'm eating. I'm sure the akins is similar. As long as your eating the right foods, none of the processed/packaged overpriced akins brand crap, just focus on your hunger and you carb count. :)
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Yea, losing 4 pounds in 3 days isn't really healthy if it's actual fat lost. It very well could be water weight from bloating. If you aren't getting calories from carbs, you need to make up for it with more lean proteins and healthy fats. Chicken breast and nuts are great sources of these.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I don't do Atkins, but I do eat lower carb because I have PCOS and am a former type II diabetic. (Not Atkins extreme lower carb -- I have my settings at 45% protein, 25% carb, 30% fat and watch that I get my carbs from good stuff...)

You could try adding any of the following:
    nuts, avocado, lean meat, protein shakes, greekyogurt (not the crappy stuff that has more sugar than protein)
  • irafe
    Options
    Not on Atkins but am low carb, may I suggest that some of the people in this thread throwing around unsubstantiated claims actually do some reading.about Ketosis and how it affects the bodies metabolism. It's a perfectly viable and effective way of losing weight, but for some reason it has a bad rap, for reasons unknown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

Good luck to you guys out there. :)
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Atkins really wrecks your system. Most of the weight lost is only water, and you put it back on almost immediately. I hope you did your research...

Because you obviously haven't....
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Not on Atkins but am low carb, may I suggest that some of the people in this thread throwing around unsubstantiated claims actually do some reading.about Ketosis and how it affects the bodies metabolism. It's a perfectly viable and effective way of losing weight, but for some reason it has a bad rap, for reasons unknown.

Exactly. If you are going to tell someone to do their research, make sure you do your own.
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Why, you obviously didn't do yours yet you have no qualms about posting your ignorant opinions.
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Thanks, but on MFP you are tilting at windmills to suggest people keep their ignorance and misinformation about low carb dieting to themselves.
  • Loves2snack
    Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Yeah, if you go on it lose weight, and then go on a carb binge.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    3 days in and 4 pounds lost! The cravings are managable, and i feel like i am eating a lot. The only problem is that i am finding it really hard to get above 1000 calories. Any ideas to help me get to 1500?

Thanks!

If you are eating plenty of fats, proteins and getting in the 3 cups of vegetables there is NO NEED to count calories.

You should be worried about making sure your carbs are at the 20 grams per day, calorie counting is NOT necessary.
  • I have no facts about what Adkins does to your body but I do know this. I started it a month ago. First week I lost 10 lbs, next 3 weeks not even 1 lb and I felt hungry and not real healthy. I went to my dr and he said DO NOT DO ATKINS!!! It causes all kinds of bad things to happen, including kidney stones so I just started counting calories and I've lost 3 lbs in 5 days. Hope whatever you do works for you but please be careful.
  • Grokette
    Options
    sure...dont do atkins

LOL!!!

There is no such plan as aDkins.....................It is The ATkins Nutritional Approach.

You start out in Phase 1 with 20 grams of carbs each day for 2 weeks. After the 2 weeks of Induction, you start adding 5 grams of carbs along with more foods as you climb up the carb ladder. So, week 3 you would be at 25 grams of carbs, week 4 30 grams of carbs........and each week you add 5 gram increments until you find you ACE = Atkins Carb Equilibrium - which basically tells you how many grams of carbs you can eat to lose, gain or maintain your weight.

So, like my ACE = 80 grams of carbs per day. If I eat 75 grams of carbs I will lose weight and if I eat more than 80, then I will gain. So being able to maintain at 80 grams of carbs per day is MY number. It is individual for each person.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I have no facts about what Adkins does to your body but I do know this. I started it a month ago. First week I lost 10 lbs, next 3 weeks not even 1 lb and I felt hungry and not real healthy. I went to my dr and he said DO NOT DO ADKINS!!! It causes all kinds of bad things to happen, including kidney stones so I just started counting calories and I've lost 3 lbs in 5 days. Hope whatever you do works for you but please be careful.

Well, there is NO ADKINS and your doctor is sorely misinformed. And, if you were hungry and did not have energy, you were not eating correctly.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Low carb is the devil!!!!!! 100% carbs!!!!

^^^ sarcasm

I seriously can't believe the amount of negativity and bull**** on on this site. It makes me angry.