Atkins and calories

Options

Replies

• People need to get over all the negativity and if someone misspelling ATKINS bothers you that dang much, please close your computer and take a walk cause you are too stressed to be of help to ANYONE!!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I have no facts about what Adkins does to your body but I do know this. I started it a month ago. First week I lost 10 lbs, next 3 weeks not even 1 lb and I felt hungry and not real healthy. I went to my dr and he said DO NOT DO ADKINS!!! It causes all kinds of bad things to happen, including kidney stones so I just started counting calories and I've lost 3 lbs in 5 days. Hope whatever you do works for you but please be careful.
    I would ask your doctor how many credits of nutrition he took in med school. It most medical programs it is remarkably few. If he is interested in hearing from many doctors who have actually studied low-carbohydrate diets, one place to point him might be Jimmy Moore's podcast (http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes). He's done over 500 episodes, most featuring interviews with medical doctors and researchers on the benefits of carbohydrate restriction for countering many diseases and controlling weight.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    nuts, peanut butter, nutella.

Original Poster: You are in Phase 1 and these foods are NOT allowed on Induction. The nuts will have to wait until Phase 2 when you get to that part of the Carb Ladder.

Please make sure that your fat intake is at least 60% and protein is at least 25-30% and the rest carbs.

The fat will not only help to keep you full and satisfied, it will also boost your caloric intake and give you that energy boost.

If you are having issues with getting your fat intake up, please feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you.
  • Grokette
    Options
    People need to get over all the negativity and if someone misspelling ATKINS bothers you that dang much, please close your computer and take a walk cause you are too stressed to be of help to ANYONE!!

I am not stressed in the least. Do not smear someone else's name. And the negativity wasn't lies and misinformation in which people need to do some research and reading BEFORE posting on a public bulletin board.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    People need to get over all the negativity and if someone misspelling ATKINS bothers you that dang much, please close your computer and take a walk cause you are too stressed to be of help to ANYONE!!

I meant all of the negativity towards low-carb/atkins/primal lifestyles rather than the "traditional" diet.

Your lack of attention to spelling and grammar is minor......so I think I'll keep my computer opened :)
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Pour a little olive oil onto your salad. Add mayo to your tuna. Put a pat of butter on top of your fish. I don't find it hard to add calories. :)
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Have a spoonful or two of extra virgin coconut oil. YUM!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Eating low carb is horrible!

I can't seem to keep the weight on even though I'm eating until I feel stuffed. Every time I wake up in the morning I feel rested (not normal), and on top of all that, I have too much energy!

It's horrible!
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

I can't seem to keep the weight on even though I'm eating until I feel stuffed. Every time I wake up in the morning I feel rested (not normal), and on top of all that, I have too much energy!

It's horrible!

It IS horrible. In addition to your HORRIBLE symptoms, I also have clear skin, normal insulin ranges, and am skinnier than I have ever been in 15 years. It SUCKS!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have no facts about what Adkins does to your body but I do know this. I started it a month ago. First week I lost 10 lbs, next 3 weeks not even 1 lb and I felt hungry and not real healthy. I went to my dr and he said DO NOT DO ATKINS!!! It causes all kinds of bad things to happen, including kidney stones so I just started counting calories and I've lost 3 lbs in 5 days. Hope whatever you do works for you but please be careful.

I think that before you start any new life change, you should learn what it does to your body. Judging by your first sentence, it sounds like you went into it now knowing what exactly it was and why it works. Maybe that wasn't the case at all, it just comes off that way.

Your experience with what you thought was the Atkins approach sounds much like my experience with low fat diets and WW. The programs work, of course. But, you have to be happy with it, or you'll just end up failing and being miserable all the time.
  • questionablemethods
    Options

It's horrible!

It IS horrible. In addition to your HORRIBLE symptoms, I also have clear skin, normal insulin ranges, and am skinnier than I have ever been in 15 years. It SUCKS!
    :happy: OMG! My skin is glowing after having life-long problems with acne and slow-cell turnover.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    I just noticed the other day that my hair and nails are super healthy lately. I don't know if I can attribute that directly to Atkins, but it might have something to do with the Atkins lifestyle causing me to eat a lot more whole foods.
  • Rosameegee
    Options
    atkins, along with all of the other "diets" out there are great for quick weight loss. but it's the long run you need to consider. just follow a regular fitness plan, balance your foods, the new food plate system works. We NEED it all, protein, carbs, fats, fiber, fruits and veggies. and you need to take it off slowly. treat your body well if you want to feel great all of your life.
    also, exercise! start with walking, work your way up to
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    We NEED it all, protein, carbs, fats, fiber, fruits and veggies. and you need to take it off slowly. treat your body well if you want to feel great all of your life.
    I don't know if you already know this or not, but you DO get all those nutrients on Atkins. It does not eliminate carbs at all.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    :happy: OMG! My skin is glowing after having life-long problems with acne and slow-cell turnover.

Oh no... better skin?! What are we gonna do?! Next it'll be affecting hair and nails!
    I just noticed the other day that my hair and nails are super healthy lately.

OMG!!!!!!!! WHEN WILL IT END!?!?!?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

*running away into the distance*
  • Grokette
    Options
    atkins, along with all of the other "diets" out there are great for quick weight loss. but it's the long run you need to consider. just follow a regular fitness plan, balance your foods, the new food plate system works. We NEED it all, protein, carbs, fats, fiber, fruits and veggies. and you need to take it off slowly. treat your body well if you want to feel great all of your life.
    also, exercise! start with walking, work your way up to

Well that is where you have it wrong right there in the first sentence. Atkins is NOT a diet. It is a 4 Stage Lifestyle change that carries you from basically eliminating everything except protein, fats and green leafy vegetables to a very balanced approach by the time you climb the carb ladder and end up in Maintenance............

A little research goes a long way.
  • Grokette
    Options

Oh no... better skin?! What are we gonna do?! Next it'll be affecting hair and nails!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options

You two should hone that act and take it on the road. You could call it the bacon and eggs tour. Or maybe the 'shuddup already with your ignorant criticisms this is a really healthy lifestyle despite what you think tour'. The first one might go better on t-shirts though.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i did atkins a long time ago..i dropped like 50 pounds over 6 months but after about a month, after learning about low carb i modified it. it was a great tool to jumpstart the low carb diet but i remember when i was strictly on it..i just felt gross. BACON? CHEESE? ENCOURAGING ME TO EAT FAT?? GRREEEEAAAATT!! at first...but when you REALLY think about what your eating its pretty gross, and it just CANNOT be healthy for your heart long term.....LOONNGG TEERRRMMMM. you ingest a lot of fatty substances so your body will run off of the fat instead of carbs like it usually does, makes some sense but just gross. NOW if your doing this WHILE not eating **** TONS OF meat and dairy? then why not....but all that cholesterol, animals fed with crap food that they're by nature not supposed to be eating, hormones.......its just disturbing.

If its working for you great, but i wouldnt do it strictly forever, many poeple fall off that diet..i did. i SLOWLY gained most of the weight back over the past 6 years but i just realized i love my carbs too much. SURE it did permanently change some cravings for sugar and carbs that i had then which was the only success i found from that , well, along wtih jump starting my diet but it just doesnt make sense when you REALLY think about it. i would only see that diet working for people WHO NEED IT....MEDICALLY. thats why it was developed in the first place. for medical reasons, not a diet fad.

anyways after i did that for like a month i went to the good ole exercise, moderation, eating healthier and i dropped weight faster than i did when i was doing that diet strictly which is what is making me lose weight again now.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    i did atkins a long time ago..i dropped like 50 pounds over 6 months but after about a month, after learning about low carb i modified it. it was a great tool to jumpstart the low carb diet but i remember when i was strictly on it..i just felt gross. BACON? CHEESE? ENCOURAGING ME TO EAT FAT?? GRREEEEAAAATT!! at first...but when you REALLY think about what your eating its pretty gross, and it just CANNOT be healthy for your heart long term.....LOONNGG TEERRRMMMM. you ingest a lot of fatty substances so your body will run off of the fat instead of carbs like it usually does, makes some sense but just gross. NOW if your doing this WHILE not eating **** TONS OF meat and dairy? then why not....but all that cholesterol, animals fed with crap food that they're by nature not supposed to be eating, hormones.......its just disturbing.

If its working for you great, but i wouldnt do it strictly forever, many poeple fall off that diet..i did. i SLOWLY gained most of the weight back over the past 6 years but i just realized i love my carbs too much. SURE it did permanently change some cravings for sugar and carbs that i had then which was the only success i found from that , well, along wtih jump starting my diet but it just doesnt make sense when you REALLY think about it. i would only see that diet working for people WHO NEED IT....MEDICALLY. thats why it was developed in the first place. for medical reasons, not a diet fad.

anyways after i did that for like a month i went to the good ole exercise, moderation, eating healthier and i dropped weight faster than i did when i was doing that diet strictly which is what is making me lose weight again now.
    Funny, I eat neither a lot of bacon (I don't like it) nor cheese. My cholesterol intake is right where it should be, most days it's even pretty low. In fact, the last time I had it tested (May) it was in the 160s and my good cholesterol levels were fantastic. I eat a lot of white meat chicken, lean cuts of beef, tuna, Greek yogurt, berries and veggies along with the occasional piece of whole wheat bread, tortilla or wrap. I've even been known to have a beer or two. I'm currently eating between 60 and 90 grams of carbohydrates each day, I'm steadily losing weight and I find this lifestyle sustainable well into my future.