My "Rock That Dress" NSV :-)

Options
So far, after working out and counting my calories on MFP for seven months, I’ve lost 41.5 pounds and a total of 38.5”overall. I’ve also lost 8% body fat and reduced my BMI by 5.1. One of my goals was to be able to “Rock That Dress” when my husband and I attend his Marine Corps Birthday Ball this November 12th. Yesterday, my husband took me dress shopping to find the perfect gown. I had so much fun! However, if I had continued sitting on my rear end and not counting my calories for the last seven months, I can tell you it would have been a very different experience.

Over the last 13 years, I’ve been miserable every time I left the dressing room. For the past 3-4 years it got even worse because I continued to gain weight thinking that, because of my height, I could get away with it. Not so! Even though I’m 5’11” tall, there comes a point in time where too much weight is just TOO MUCH no matter your height! Let’s face it, my face was fat, my arms were fat, and my belly and thighs were fat too! No amount of primping, makeup, or a new hairstyle would do. Sucking in my belly or wearing a girdle didn’t help either. As I went up in size to accommodate my extra inches, my clothes became baggier and frumpier. Clothes didn’t flatter my figure anymore and it made me feel older (and even fatter) than I actually was. Everything I tried on looked terrible on me, and for years I left the dressing rooms feeling miserable instead of happy. I went for a long period of time not buying new clothes at all.

Fast forward to today….I now enjoy trying on clothes. I’m back to the days when I can try on just about anything and it looks great on me. Oh, how I missed those days, and why did it take me so long to do something about it?!?!? Although I’m not at my goal weight, I’ve come a long way. I went from a tight size 16 (about to have to move up to an 18 - but thankfully I never did) to a size 10 and 12.

I tried on lots of beautiful gowns yesterday and size 10 is my number! Oh happy day! I decided to go with a size 12 as my final choice just because I needed a little extra room in the bust and I needed more length - extra length has been my issue since I was 12 years old. If it’s too loose in the bodice, I can always have it taken in if necessary when the dress arrives. I found that the dresses I really loved the most were figure fitting. Over the last 13 years though, I would have chosen something that covered my shoulders and arms and had a control top stomach area. Not anymore…hallelujah! The gown I chose is a marine blue (similar to navy blue) with a silver shimmer in the fabric. Its strapless, fits tightly around my upper torso with a split front and beading at the bust. I’m not posting pictures yet because I’m saving that for the night of the Marine Corps Ball plus I have to order it in the right size and color too.

I went to a couple of different shops yesterday. One was way out of my price range as their cheap gowns were in the $500-$600 range. The ones I really loved were the tight fitting sequin gowns that were, of course, $2,000-$3,000! Mom always said I have expensive taste and mom's are always right...right?!?! These are the types of evening gowns you’d see in a Miss America Pageant. A girl can dream can’t she? My husband said that if I got one of those I’d have to buy him a new gun or two also. LOL!!!

After shopping, my husband took me to dinner. As we sat there reminiscing about the day, I remembered for the first time in YEARS about what it was like when I did a few years of modeling locally as a teenager. I even had the privilege of representing Gainesville in the Miss Teen Florida USA Pageant. So, between the modeling and pageant, I was able to wear clothing and accessories without having to think about a budget. The designers would dress me up in very expensive clothing and several were made to fit my measurements so that their dress would look perfect on the runway. Those were FUN days! I’m all grown up now and although I do have to be concerned with a budget, it’s nice to know that after 13 years of being overweight, I can wear beautiful, figure fitting clothing again, from pageant gowns to jeans, and look beautiful, healthy, and trim no matter what I wear. I must admit, I wasn’t sure I’d ever see those days again because I was pretty resigned to being overweight.

Even though I have more work to do to get to my goal weight, I’m getting there. YOU CAN TOO!!! I have such sweet MFP friends who have supported me my entire journey. Without you I wouldn’t be this far. You are a great encouragement to me. However, I am just like YOU. I’m not some celebrity with personal trainers and chefs. I’m a normal, average hard-working wife and mother who was willing to get off her butt and work HARD to get here. Your HARD WORK will pay off. Be consistent in your efforts and you can ROCK THAT DRESS too!

You can follow along with me on my journey at: http://www.transformingabetterme.blogspot.com

You'll see plenty of before and current pictures there along with helpful hints for your weight loss journey too!

Blessings to you,

Jennifer

070-1-1.jpg

295-5.jpg

Weight lost: 41.5 pounds

Body fat % lost: 8%

BMI: Down 5.1

Neck: 1.5" lost

Waist: 8.5" lost

Hips: 7.0" lost

Arm: 3.2" lost

Thighs (combined): 10" lost

Bust: 7.3" lost

Calves: 1.0" lost

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look stunning. It's hard for me to imagine you have more fat to lose!
  • jeskate
    jeskate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Keep going. You are stunning!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Fabulous transformation, enjoy your success
  • esloanpa
    Options
    Fantastic! Way to go and thanks for sharing.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Wow you look beautiful!!! Congrats! I am actually at about the same place you are in my journey. I started out at size15, and I just bought a couple pairs of size 11 jeans and feel amazing! Shopping is so much more fun when you can actually find things that fit and look nice on you!! Sounds like you had a great time!! Those are things that pump you up and really help keep you motivated! You really look great! Can't wait to see pics of you in the dress!! Yeah!!
  • mommygirl81
    Options
    You look amazing! And I love your haircut in the "after" pics!
  • chile_chicken
    chile_chicken Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing! Your husband must be so proud of you. And you must be proud of yourself too!
  • konatreehugger
    Options
    Absolutely STUNNING!
  • Nosila0815
    Nosila0815 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Amazing. Thanks for posting. It keeps me motivated.
  • jdminwv
    Options
    Awesome Jen!!! That's good stuff! You should try freelance writing for a magazine or newspaper. Very well written and inspiring. Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work! :wink:
  • GwynnBochanan
    GwynnBochanan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's the fact that you are just like us doing this without trainers that makes you a ROCKSTAR. Keep it up.

:)
  • curlysue87
    Options
    Wow, you look fantastic! Awesome job!
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC work!!!!!!! You look amazing and have inspired me even more.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    wow!!! look at you!!! fantastic work!!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss!! You look marvelous, darlin'!!
  • thinkpink4hope
    thinkpink4hope Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wow Jen!!

Again, you have done it!!!! I am so proud of you. You keep us all encouraged!!! You do such a great job of writting!!! Thanks for the inspiring post!!! :love:
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You look awesome, can't wait to see the dress!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Damn, amazing progress!!! Congratulations.
  • cpldjski
    cpldjski Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I have actually skipped some of the Marine Corps Balls in the past because I didn't want my husband to be ashamed to have the "fat wife" at the table. I am going this year, down 58.8 pounds from last year. I still have a long way to go to get to where I want to be, but I intend to "rock that dress" as well, and have a wonderful time celebrating with my husband.

Again, congrats, and have a great time at the Ball!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Wow...you just look amazing!! Incredible job!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!