Favorite Books Destroyed by the Movie

Options

Replies

• brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The entire Twilight series thus far...we'll see how Breaking Dawn fairs later this year...

I entirely agree! I absolutely looooved the books. I just go see the movies so I can see a shirtless Taylor Lautner XD
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I read alot of Stephen King...Most of the movie adaptations were TERRIBLE. 2 exceptions: Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me (ironically both from the same book of 4 short stories).

I will agree with you on those two, although you have to admit those are not typical Stephen King stories.

I totally agree. They are two of my favourite films

My worst ever is both Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider. Totally badly cast - Morgan Freeman is no Alex Cross and where in the hell was his best pal and partner Sampson??? total let down. Lets hope I Alex Cross works out better
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Oh and all the Twilights. Bella is such a wet fish in the films and the storylines are so mashed up and mixed around they might as well have not bothered. Badly cast again.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Best Movie from Book Ever - The Princess Bride. I read the book before the movie and said to myself "They'll never be able to capture the books spirit." I was wrong.
  • JsGirl93
    JsGirl93 Posts: 1,156
    Options
    For me it was Clan of the Cave Bear. Some books just SHOULD NOT be made into movies. There was no humanly way possible to capture the epicness of that book in an hour and a half movie. The movie would've had to have been 4 hours long at least! I remember thinking this as a young teenager seeing the movie the first time.
  • slender_sunshine
    Options
    Pretty much anything based on Phillip K D*ck's work (think Bladerunner. . . ugh). I can't believe it won't let me type the poor guy's last name. That was his last name!

So true about Bladerunner. The movie itself was good (for an 80s sci-fi movie), but compared with the book, it was way off and so disappointing.
    The book Memoirs of a Geisha was way better than the movie IMO.

YES. The book was excellent. I think Memoirs of a Geisha is one of those books that's really intricate, and it's hard to translate that to a movie.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    memoirs of a geisha

the joy luck club

the golden compass

the 5th harry potter book

not completely ruined but i was expecting more
  • nursenelson
    Options
    Water for Elephants...book was amazing....movie not so much!!
    Im reading The Help right now and I hope the moivce is as good as the book!

Agreed - Water for Elephants book way better
    The Help was an amazing book...the movie wasnt as good but ok
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I try my hardest to read the book before I see the movie..

The Time Traveler's Wife.. what a good book.. and what a craptacular movie

Youth in Revolt.. HILARIOUS book.. so good. I saw the movie first, it was not good..so I didn't want to read the book. but then I did read the book and absolutely loved it.

And in some cases, I like the movie and hate the book... I saw Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, liked it a lot.. then found out it was a book and read it... hated it!

And as for Harry Potter, I just try to view them seperately.. the books as one thing and the movies as another.. I'd rather read all 7 books and then watch all 8 movies. I love the movies but LOVE the books so I like to keep them separate.

If they mess up the Hunger Games, I'll die. And they are also making a movie from Perks of Being A Wallflower.. my absolute favorite book. If they mess that one up, I'll die, come back to life, then die again.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    White Fang
    Timeline and everything else by the amazing Michael Crichton. (Jurassic Park, Lost World, Sphere, Andromeda Strain)
    I am Number Four
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Water for Elephants...book was amazing....movie not so much!!
    Im reading The Help right now and I hope the moivce is as good as the book!

Didn't even bother with the movie! i'm sure I'll rent it, but really Edward for Jacob? And Reese Witherspoon? Not at all how I pictured it!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Good adaptation
    -No Country for Old Men

Bad adaptation
    -I Am Legend

So Omega Man. I never ready I am Legend (didn't know it was a book) but Omega Man is the original I am Legend
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Wrinkle in Time - Madeline L'Engle said it met her expectations...to be terrible, I didn't bother to see it.

Return of the King - I loved the first two LotR movies, but RotK, just busted my heart all kinds of up. I mean, cutting out Tom Bombadil in The Fellowship, while annoying is understandable, but cutting out the Hobbits returning to the Shire and KICKING BOOTY?! I was mad, really mad.

OH MY FREAKING GOSH! I forget Ella Enchanted, they screwed that book ALL KINDS of up!
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My only pet peeve with LOTR was with Return of the King and not putting in the Scouring of the Shire. Other than that, no complaints.

I'm even willing to overlook some of the dubious aspects of the Narnia movies (I understand that some changes had to be made to adapt them to screenplays).

However, I have to this day refused to watch Eragon after reading the book. The book was awesome. I don't want my personal interpretation destroyed.

I think the only other movie I get frustrated with was Ella Enchanted. I love the book so much that I reread it every few months. The movie was funny, don't get me wrong, but it was totally off in terms of the way the kingdom was set up, the prince's family was completely different, and I really feel like people missed out on the beautiful story that was originally told. >.>
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    For me it was Clan of the Cave Bear. Some books just SHOULD NOT be made into movies. There was no humanly way possible to capture the epicness of that book in an hour and a half movie. The movie would've had to have been 4 hours long at least! I remember thinking this as a young teenager seeing the movie the first time.

never saw the movie but read the book and i can't imagine how they could make that book into a movie lol
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Eragon >:(

Argh it annoyed me sooo much. They changed EVERYTHING and the things that they did keep the same were really badly done. It had so much potential it could have been a really successful film series...

Oh well, i look forward to the last book next month lol XD
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Oh and of course harry Potter. I'm a massive Harry Potter fan and they just missed out so many subplots and character growth and funny moments :'(

I don't agree that ALL the child actors were terrible, but the majority were (and Dan radcliffe looks NOTHING like Harry Potter grrr)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!!

Done well (or as well as possible given time constraints)
    Gone with the Wind
    The Lincoln Lawyer
    Ramona and Beezus
    The Notebook
    The Help

Really bad
    All the Twilight movies (UGH!)
    Time Travelers Wife

And I'm so scared for the movie version of Hunger Games that I may attempt to hide from them. It's probably futile. Just not excited about the cast or the plot changes that have leaked.

Also I will add I think Game of Thrones is REALLY well done and true to the book (so far, there has only been one season of it).
  • katieruns
    Options
    Time Travellers Wife.
    I love the book but thought that the movie just failed to capture the mood.

I agree!!! I loved the book, but the movie to me definitely fell short of my expectations.

I have to also agree with Sister's Keeper.... not even close!!!
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hannibal - book great, film woeful especially after the brilliant Silence of the Lambs.