In the year since I joined MFP (w/pics)

Options
Sorry. This is long. And it seems more like a blog :laugh: oh well, here it goes:

I started MFP after deciding it was finally time to get rid of the extra weight I had been carrying around for the last 12+ years. I joined this site just over a year ago (Wednesday was my 1 year MFP-iversary). In that time I have had my ups and downs in motivation and speed of success. Sometimes it's been slow going and I even logged my gains (I like seeing the graph keep a downward trend even if there are ups every so often. It makes me feel like my bad weeks are normal-which they are)

I am 5'9" and my highest weight was around 275 after breaking my leg in 2006 and going from walking everywhere in a college town to being totally sedentary and unable to get up to take my dishes to the dishwasher. I still ate the same way but gained 30 lbs in just a few months (funny how that happens). Anyway, once my leg healed and I was able to walk again the weight started to come off pretty effortlessly. I got back down to 250ish for a while and bounced between that and 265 for the next few years. I didn't get serious about this whole weight loss thing until a last summer when my sister announced she was engaged and wanted me to be her maid of honor. My sister is a tiny thing, as is my cousin who I knew I would be standing up there with as well and as vain as it may sound, I didn't want to look like the chubby chick with all the cute girls in the wedding photos. There was the motivation I needed. I knew I had over a year and I set a goal of getting down to 215 by her wedding. I signed up for a boot camp class and started getting more in shape. A friend of mine told me about how she was using MFP on her phone to help her lose weight for her wedding. I joined and haven't looked back since.

So, what I realized today is that from the day I joined through today I have lost 49.8 lbs, 6 inches off my waist, 5.5 inches off my hips and 1.5 inches off my neck!! That just astonishes me. Next saturday is the one-year aniversary of my highest weight on MFP and I hope to be over 50 lbs lost and possibly even in ONEderland for the fist time in at least 12 years! I was down to 207 last weekend at my sister's wedding (I surpassed my goal! yay!) and I got SO many comments from our friends and family. It is so great to feel like the hard work has paid off. It hasn't been quick. Or easy. And I made it into a lifestyle change that was do-able for me (which is probably why I didnt have quite as much weight loss as I could have if I had gone a little more hard-core). I still have 15 lbs until I reach my "goal weight"... At that time I will re-assess myself and decide where to go from there. I have all of you in the MFP community to thank for helping me get this far and my MFP friends who have been so motivational and there for me every step of the way (especially BermudaBarbie and AJK828... and my boyfriend odevine1 who joined reluctantly at first but now is kicking butt... you guys have inspired me and been there consistantly from the beginning).

Anyway, I just wanted to share my one-year results because I know when I was starting out and feeling like I had SO FAR TO GO it was overwhelming and I came to the success stories a lot for inspiration. Here's a picture to show my progress. A picture at my highest. one near where I started MFP and one from just recently (basically my "where I am now") :)

down65lbs.jpg

as for "how I did it" since I get that question a lot:
I made some "mini goals" and tried that for a while, but I was never that good about rewarding myself when I reached them, so I dont know how effective they were other than the fact that it helped that I didn't have to think about the whole chunk of weight I needed to lose and just went 10-15 lbs at a time. I also believe in eating back my calories earned from working out and I usually had one day a week where I would go over my calorie goal (usually by 200-300 or so) but still log it. I figured that way my metabolism was kept guessing. I bought a food scale and measuring cups that I use ALL the time to get calorie amounts that are as accurate as possible. Also, at the beginning I just tracked what I was eating for about 2 days to see what my normal calorie intake was without worrying if I met my lower calorie goal. I had my goals set to 1.5 lbs/week for the majority of the year, but I played around with it a week or two at a time until I reached a place where I felt comfortable. I also listed myself as sedintary and logged (with my HRM once I got it in December) the calories I burned with working out. If I did something where I didn't have my HRM and had to rely on the database numbers I usually counted it as lower intensity and shorter (ex: I walk for 45 minutes at 3.5? I log it as MFP's walking at 2.0 for 30 minutes). I always try to err on the side of over estimating my food calories when guessing and under estimating when it came to exercise if I wasn't sure. I also even logged my bad days. You know the ones. The ones where you are shoving food in your mouth and thinking "I dont even WANT to know how many calories I am eating right now!" because I figured I was only hurting myself. I used those days to learn from and then it would make sense as to why I didn't lose that week or I might see a pattern like "Oh, I do this when I am stressed out/at this point in my cycle/on tuesdays"etc... and I drank my water! Lots of it (I average probably 100 oz per day. Besides all that I have no other tips or tricks other than to just commit and do it. Dont let one bad day or one bad meal ruin your progress or outlook. We all make poor choices sometimes, but the best you can do is try to make a better choice the next time you are faced with what to eat.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB! That is amazing! you rock!
  • 2013backontrack
    Options
    So awesome!!!!! Congrats! :D
  • Amie_LR
    Amie_LR Posts: 50
    Options
    Wow! Well done! Truly inspirational. Thanks for sharing, I hope in a year's time I have a similar story to share.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a difference a year made!! You took full advantage!! Seriously, really life changing things!
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    Congrats on your success and your one year anniversary mark!! You look fantastic!!! :smile: Your story is inspiring to me as I sit hear struggling with self-sabotage every time I weigh myself. Don't ask :grumble:

Keep up the great work!!! Again, congrats on all of your successes!:flowerforyou:
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    you look great!
  • pinknsassyemt
    pinknsassyemt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, and your doing a great job! Keep up the good work!!!
  • GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look great. I enjoy reading the weight-loss journey stories, so thanks for posting yours.
  • crystalandhoho
    Options
    WOW I give you so much props. You go girl. You look real nice,and keep up the great work. I wonder how I will look in a year from today. People like you inspire me. Thanks for shearing :)
  • ReneeJM
    ReneeJM Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look great! Very inspiring.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!!!!!!
  • khill2742
    Options
    Congrats! Very Motivational
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    awesome job! You look great:) PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I truly appreciate the time you took to detail so many things about your successful journey. I'm new to MFP and what you taught me is when a bad day comes, to own it, log the food and then learn from it.....and then keep on working toward the goal! You look beautiful :)
  • kateopotato
    kateopotato Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys :)
  • niclagi
    niclagi Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Really great job Kate, you look awesome!
  • amybluefish
    amybluefish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! I love seeing progress pics too. I cant wait to be able to use mine and really see the loss. I ♥ MFP, it has help me change my life and helped me influence others as well. Congrats on your loss! YAY
  • fitnowandforever
    fitnowandforever Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! I loved your idea of mini-goals. I might start using that ;) But you look inspirational ♥
  • dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    you look awesome!!! Great job! This is very inspiration for me because i have 23 pounds that i HAVE to lose that me "re evaluate" weight. And if you can do it then I can do it! I definatly can understand feeling overwhelmed because i definatly do!
  • ksharon22
    ksharon22 Posts: 111
    Options
    Awesome dedication and determination and even better results after year no. 1. Keep it up until you reach your final goal and we'll all be here cheering you on!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!