How do I stop binge eating on the weekends?

Options
13»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There's really only one way top stop binging. Just stop. You need to make the decision, either you want to binge eat, or you don't.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Only you can make yourself stop.
  • lamlam2468
    lamlam2468 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Depends how much you really want to change your eating lifestyle and lose weight...:-}

I hear you, but what the above person says is what I am trying to live by. That gives me motivation. Also, are you tracking your foods? I find that when I do that and put it out there for all to see it really keeps me accountable.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I have been a binge eater most of my life. Yes, we can decide to stop, it's all up to us
    and we have to put our mind to it, yadda yadda yadda........

But there are different strategies that we can try all the way from seeing a shrink to keeping grapes in the freezer to snack on. There are wonderful suggestions in this thread! Recently my tack has been to eat very lightly at breakfast and then increase as it gets near 6 pm. Then I have the bulk of my calories to eat at my peak binge time. Today I exercised enough to eat back 500 calories. I even took a 2 hour nap when I started to feel peckish around 4 pm. Yesterday I had no problem because it was a very busy day and I had plenty to keep my mind off food.

Try everything here and thank goodness you have started to take care of yourself at a young age instead of waiting until you are 50 like some of us :ohwell:

I think we ARE all unique little snowflakes and we have to find what works for us :bigsmile:
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    I don't understand why people don't treat the weekend the same as during the week. Your "reward" will be a healthier body, nice fitting clothes, etc. I have a husband and 3 ilittle kids who don't eat exactly as I do. This is a lifestyle change, so if you have alotted calories to have a treat, then great, if not..put it down and go for a walk...plain and simple!!!

And I don't understand how someone can get 100 pounds overweight.

I was LAZY and UNMOTIVATED! There ya have it!!!

Well there you go then. We are all different. I am not lazy or unmotivated-and never have been. I have been going to the gym 5-7 times a week since I was 18-I love it. I have eaten healthy my entire life. I put on a couple of kg when I'm on holiday and immeditately go on a diet to lose the weight. And yes while on this diet I sometimes eat too much on the weekends.
    So just because eating unhealthy on the weekend is not a problem for YOU it is for some of us.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people don't treat the weekend the same as during the week. Your "reward" will be a healthier body, nice fitting clothes, etc. I have a husband and 3 ilittle kids who don't eat exactly as I do. This is a lifestyle change, so if you have alotted calories to have a treat, then great, if not..put it down and go for a walk...plain and simple!!!

And I don't understand how someone can get 100 pounds overweight.

I was LAZY and UNMOTIVATED! There ya have it!!!

Well there you go then. We are all different. I am not lazy or unmotivated-and never have been. I have been going to the gym 5-7 times a week since I was 18-I love it. I have eaten healthy my entire life. I put on a couple of kg when I'm on holiday and immeditately go on a diet to lose the weight. And yes while on this diet I sometimes eat too much on the weekends.
    So just because eating unhealthy on the weekend is not a problem for YOU it is for some of us.

i don't think the person that wrote that meant to be snarky. the person just tried to say "treat the weekend like you do the week."

please, focus on supporting the OP, not trying to tear down anyone who provides their point of view.
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have a picture of myself, specifically of a problem area for a massive reminder of why I'm doing this, posted on my fridge door. So if I find myself in front of the fridge, I take a look at it and do a 180 back out of there! Also, drinking a big glass of water always helps me stay away from those dangerous moments.

Good luck, you CAN overcome this :)
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Too little too late, the OP has deactivated his/her account.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

sucks. the person was obviously starting on the right track, and just needed a little more encouragement and ideas on how to stay steady.
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I really have a craving for sweet and chocolate, So I bought three boxes of granola type bars. Each has a different amount of chocolate and calories. So if I can't afford the calories, I choose the one with the least chocolate, 110 cal. If I really really need the chocolate I choose the one that's covered in chocolate that has 150 calories. And then there's one that's got a base of chocolate that's 130 cal. That way I make sure I only have one but I get my fix... lol. Also half the time I eat these because I get so hungry at night I need something to actually eat.

If I did that, I'd eat all three boxes.. at once. Just can't have stuff like that around me.

We're all made different - we humans are amazing creatures, aren't we?
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options

sucks. the person was obviously starting on the right track, and just needed a little more encouragement and ideas on how to stay steady.

Just read that the OP deactivated her account. I totally agree - it DOES suck.

Not going to single anyone out - but SHAME!

PEOPLE: we here on MFP are here to SUPPORT, not tear down one another w/snarky remarks. I'm so sorry I've been off my computer for a good long while - if I saw some of these posts earlier I would have emailed the OP right away.

So glad I've gotten the support I needed so far. Hope she can find some support to help her on her journey.
  • edith_t
    edith_t Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Keep busy. Go to the cinema, go for a walk, go to a library and read a book, go shopping (or browsing), set yourself tasks like making a photo album/writing an old friend a letter/learning a different language. They won't wear you out in the way that work does, and they won't be stressful, but they'll keep your mind off food, and you won't be sat around bored thinking of the food in the kitchen. Boredom causes bingeing!!

they deactivated. well that's a shame.