Anyone take a week off from exercise??

Options

Replies

• shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I think part of my issue is that I am still confused as to whether or not to use all/some of my exercise calories. Perhaps that should be my experiment instead.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I run cross country for college, and my coach advises us to take a week of rest after the season is over.
    I don't know why people are trying to bash you for not wanting to exercise for a week. Whatever your reason is, I think you should try it. It is good to know how your body reacts to different things including exercise or lack of it.

Good luck to you :D !
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I've never not exercised since starting MFP and so I want to try one week of just staying within my calories to see how my weight loss progresses. What do you think?

I think this is a good idea. But, I would suggest staying active.
  • Learnin2LuvMe
    Learnin2LuvMe Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I took a a break last week,a whole 7 days,my body needed it after 6 months of working out.I still ate healthy but indulged every now and then.I did go up 1 lb,in a week thats not to bad..i started working out again today,which felt great! I could tell difference though..If youve been doing it for awhile,then sure take a break,but just know your body does get comfy with just laying around,even if its healthy eating..Our body does need some type of movement.Everyone deserves a break every now and then.Good luck on your journey:)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Let us know how it turns out. Personally, I think you'll get good results as long as your calories stay in check.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I took two weeks off because of an injury and it was the worst two weeks EVER. I felt tired and lazy. I ended getting a cold and I swear I got that darn cold because I was sitting around on my butt.....the germs wouldn't have caught me if I have been moving...LOL! If you have to do it, then do it. But if you don't HAVE to do it, don't do it.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I took about 5 days off a few weeks ago due to an injury. I felt sluggish on those days, but I also paid much more attention to what I was eating. I didn't gain weight within those 5 days, but I didn't lose weight that week either. (I'm really short so it's hard for me to create a significant calorie deficit.) If you're exercising every day, then I'd suggest taking a day or two off just to prevent burn out or injury (I learned this the hard way). If you're trying to kick start your metabolism or something like that, then try a new workout routine...
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i usually take 4 days off at a time, but thats because i'll work 4 12 hour shifts in a row. and if i stay within my calorie goals, i usually find i'll drop a pound or so in those few days.
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I will have to take a week off next week and I'm already suffering! Don't do it, unless you are forced like me
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I didn't exercise for the first 6 months. I lost about 12 pounds and realized that to lose more I had to exercise. I have noticed with exercise that even when I don't lose off the scale I lose inches and my clothes are too big. I never had that happen when I was just watching my diet.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    There are times I get frustrated from no weight lose, but I just measure myself and know a difference is being made in some form. Sometimes I need to remind myself of that. I love working out, and I'm teaching my kids the healthy way too. Yeah there are times I don't work out for a week..etc but I try to not do that on purpose. And all we'll all done and feel great after which is the answer right?

Good Luck, Kelley
  • kmummy0418
    Options
    I'm not sure. WHY do you want a week off? Just to see if you can ditch exercise and still lose? Personally, I don't think I'd do that because I know my cardiovascular system needs to be improved, weight loss or not. I know my body is unhealthy and exercise is the only way to fix that.

That's a pretty rude comment. Did you ask her WHY? Or are you just assuming? As she mentioned, she's exercised almost everyday since she started, which is over 75 days ago. She's lost almost 20lbs...seems she's doing pretty good to me! Why don't you repost after you've exercised 70 + days and lost 20lbs?
  • ji225
    ji225 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have been exercising regularly for a while, so I think it is a good idea to give your body a proper break now and again, I too a week off exercise (cardio) and went on a yoga break - just 2 short and not challenging clases a day for a week and I lost weight and felt much stronger coming back to 'normal' exercise after the break :)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Aargh!

Totally my issue at the moment - I'm having four wisdom teeth surgically removed on Wednesday and my surgeon has said I shouldn't exercise for a week! Aargh!

So I've stocked up on Runners World, Fitness and Women's Health magazines so that I can at least learn something new while I'm couch surfing and looking like a chipmunk with giant cheeks!!

Listen to your body, sometimes it needs a break and whether that is one day or six days is up to you!

Good luck!!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I took 10 days off while on vacation and just walked around. It was fine.

^

this. lost 7 lbs. during my vacation time.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer at one point that wanted me to take every 7th week off from working out, his reason was the body gets accustomed to it and adjusts and adapts, that this break confused the body and allowed for better results. I didn't make it to 7 weeks with him due to other conflicts however the reason sounds good, he had me do the same with eating but on a different scale, I had 2 days of 1400 cals followed by one of 1700, again to confuse the body. This allowed for cheat days to be built in but on a regular basis. Once I stopped working out and monitoring caloric intake I still managed to maintain that loss I had accomplished for a long time.

I have been taking a week off every 6 weeks for the same reasons. It makes sense really and I have found it does boost weight loss.

I have a friend who has just taken 4 weeks off (due to injury and other factors) and they continued to lose.

That's not to say you should give up exercise- you really shouldn't or you will lose muscle, but a break is fine every once in a while.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I took an unexpected three weeks off because my 2-year old us testing the waters on upping her bedtime. By the time I fit her to bed and straightened up the house, it's 10 pm and I just wanted to go to bed. To my surprise, I lost 4# without exercising! I have switched my workout to mornings now- amazingly, the lack of exercise gave my plateau a kickstart. U am beginning to wonder if I was not eating enough calories to compensate for my exercise?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. WHY do you want a week off? Just to see if you can ditch exercise and still lose? Personally, I don't think I'd do that because I know my cardiovascular system needs to be improved, weight loss or not. I know my body is unhealthy and exercise is the only way to fix that.

I agree with this. why are u wanting to stop?

if you feel like you are burning out then do it, rest is VERY important, and you should have at least 1 day of rest per week anyway.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If you're overtraining, I'd take a few days off. Actually I'm about to embark on my four days of rest....don't want to but I have to.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I take active recovery weeks every 2-3 months or just when I feel run down. I walk and do less intense workouts with a lot of stretching. I think it helps. I almost always lose weight during my active recovery weeks, and I feel better when they are over. Minor aches and pains go away, and I workout harder.